1.    #1  
    Just purchased my pre 4 days ago, switched over from at&t with the iphone, and couldn't be happier with the pre. Got home only to find that i get no reception where I'm at. I'd hate to have to drop the pre because of service. Any ideas?
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Some folks with similar issues are using these: AIRAVE

Some are furnished by Sprint at no charge, others pay a $5/month fee.

Your best bet is to call Sprint to see what you can arrange.
  3.    #3  
    I'll give that a try, thanks.
    some people have reported that they were able to get the airrave for free via by speacking to retention department
    I know the following info is controversial on this site (some say it doesn't make a difference), but it helped my reception at my home tremendously so i'm putting it out there: go to phone preferences, go to the bottom and update network setting, and PRL.
    Try it, it may be the ticket. It certainly was for me.
  6.    #6  
    I tried updating both settings, but they read cant be updated, try again later. So ill give it a try tomorrow and see how it works, thanks for the advice.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Dropped calls have been a problem so I was thinking about maybe moving to my wife's verizon account. The plans are awful. Called Sprint Retentions today and they're sending me an Airave and waving the monthly fee.
    You need to buy a special device called an airave to just to get your new cellphone`s weaker radio to work, in order to be able to receive a signal where the old phone`s signal was fine without the airave?

And... that`s considered an "upgrade"?

Think about it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    You need to buy a special device called an airave to just to get your new cellphone`s weaker radio to work, in order to be able to receive a signal where the old phone`s signal was fine without the airave?

Think about it.
    Actually, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon phones can't get much of a signal in my house. Verizon is a little better but most people end up going outside to make or take calls or chase bars throughout the house. I think its the bricks or insulation. Its worse now with the Pre compared to my old HTC Touch because I can't force roaming(I know I can with a hack but I am waiting for 1.2 to drop before I patch anything.)

The other week I was in a large department store and I couldn't get a reliable sprint signal, calls come in , one ring then dead, over and over. The pre would roam then keep dropping the 3 bars of offnetwork coverage for one crappy Sprint bar. I found one spot in the store with a decent signal that stayed put and had to make all my calls from there. PITA.

The Pre's radio may be weaker than my old phone but I don't know that at all and I generally have no complaints. If I was still with ATT I wouldn't have any signal inside and I'd be getting raped on the bill too. If you have some links referencing how weak the Pre's radio is I'd like to see them.

BTW - for me Free Unlimited minutes in the house is an upgrade
    It's amusing that I'm not the only one with the issue of not being able to have a signal in the specific place I'm usually at when I'm at home.

It's also ironic...

h(t)tp://w(w)w.youtube.com/watch?v=R1IcivDJmUU
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    It's amusing that I'm not the only one with the issue of not being able to have a signal in the specific place I'm usually at when I'm at home.

It's also ironic...

h(t)tp://w(w)w.youtube.com/watch?v=R1IcivDJmUU
    Hahahahahah that vid is funny. Nice post.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

Think about it.
    Assumptions much ? Agenda much ?

To the OP: Go with what previous posters here have suggested. I've read countless stories on this very forum from launch about people with weak signal calling up retentions and explaining their position politely and scoring a free airave. No reason why you can't do the same.
    try to do that, and take it to technology service.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny31 View Post
    Just purchased my pre 4 days ago, switched over from at&t with the iphone, and couldn't be happier with the pre. Got home only to find that i get no reception where I'm at. I'd hate to have to drop the pre because of service. Any ideas?
    Congrats. I just left AT&T and got myself a Pre today as well
    Well, we upgraded 3 of our 5 phones to the Pre's from the BB 8330 curves last week. On all 3, the signal in my home is damn near doesnt exist. I usually have to go across the street into my neighbors yard to get a signal. I know all my other friends (various networks) and us with our BB's can/could go on the porch and talk. I called sprint yesterday and not only are they sending me a free airave, they also waved the monthly fee for it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Finally got my airave today.
    I'd still be waiting for it if I hadn't called up retentions again asking what the hold up was. Turns out they had a new product # that was in stock and the old one was backordered. The woman I spoke to charged me $1 for the airave and let me keep the $50 credit they gave me.
    So I got $49 + airave.

So far so good!

FYI - Sprint will send you a letter with the airave stating
    You have to use the airave or send it back
    If you dont send it back they will charge you $100
    There is no monthly charge but you don't get the actual airave plan with unlimited minutes
    There is no charge for 2 years and you don't have to renew the contract.

I've read that some people actually have gotten the unlimited plan free for 2 years.