Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My friend, drained_blue, is deciding between a tour and a pre. Unfortunately, she has been reading all of the posts on here which are all negative and potentially turning more pre owners away! Fewer pre owners = fewer apps!

Come on people, talk it up! And tell drained_blue what shes missing out on!
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    It is up to Palm to promote the Pre. It's a great phone, but it needs some work. I'll be much happier when I can empty my trash folder rather than having to delete emails TWICE one by one.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I played for a Tour for about 20 seconds before realizing it wasn't going to work for me.

The browser sucks, it has no wifi(no tethering), no touchscreen, poor multitasking and really isn't usable for watching movies. There aren't many apps available for it, no homebrew at all, and they all seemed to be overpriced.

That said, it has a better keyboard and better battery life than the Pre.

Edit: I don't get people who delete emails. What's the point? Is anyone here even close to approaching the amount of space on GMAIL? I started using it in 2004 and I had 1GB free space back then, now I have 6.5GB of free space and I have never deleted anything.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Maybe when they fix the issues with this device I can get more excited. And no I'm not going to start a list of issues that's already discussed on several other threads.
    thats because critiquing is more fun than cheerleading. also, if everything is working great, then there isn't much to talk about:

Hows your pre?
    Great, yours?
    Great.
    Thats great

that gets old fast.

explain the realities of forums to your friend, and then if she still wants a fanboi site to provide unequivocal recommendations tell 'em to look elsewhere.

The Pre/Pixi have more potential than any other phone out there at the moment. WebOS 1.2 will fix many/most of the software annoyances that people are reporting. WebOS 1.2 is likely to be released next week. If you can wait for the release and see what people think of it, that might lessen the amount of "risk" in your decision to get the Pre or another phone. Make sure you are comparing "apples with apples" (no pun intended). Regarding sluggishness, those who have installed the leaked WebOS 1.2 have reported that it's much better. If you/she want to be cautious, wait for a week beyond when 1.2 is released and see what people are thinking of it. Beyond that, you or drained_blue should tell us what her specific concerns are. I'll do my best to give an honest assessment of how the Pre might work for her. I've never looked at the Tour, so others will have to answer her "comparison" questions.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I guess I should clarify what I actually use my phone for...

I am not huge on ridiculous technology (have a Creative MP3 player for music & any movies/tv shows I want, so not needed on the phone) & mostly have my phone on 24/7 because I can't check emails & talk to people on AIM at work. Those are the main things, along with occasional online research. Also, having never had a touchscreen phone, I can't say that it would be a defining factor for me.

Battery life is important, as I will be in classes nonstop all day & won't really have time to be stopping & charging (I'm not taking my laptop on campus with me so that's not an option).

Right now the main thing that stands out about the Pre is that it's fifty bucks cheaper, which is a lame reason, but almost enough of one to make me pick it over the Tour. My friend praises his constantly & his enthusiasm is appealing...but I'm still on the fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    My friend, drained_blue, is deciding between a tour and a pre. Unfortunately, she has been reading all of the posts on here which are all negative and potentially turning more pre owners away! Fewer pre owners = fewer apps!

Come on people, talk it up! And tell drained_blue what shes missing out on!
    i agree with you but people on this forum who complain half are trolls and the other half really need help even tho a lot of them don't know ask politely. And you hardly ever hear people who don't need help post because they don't need to they enjoy it.
    But over all i think most people love the pre out of the half a million people who half the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    thats because critiquing is more fun than cheerleading. also, if everything is working great, then there isn't much to talk about:

Hows your pre?
    Great, yours?
    Great.
    Thats great

that gets old fast.

explain the realities of forums to your friend, and then if she still wants a fanboi site to provide unequivocal recommendations tell 'em to look elsewhere.
    A good point about how boring it would be if everyone loved everything.

I'm pretty well aware of how forums work, having been on the internet for more than two months, thanks. I was just hoping to see a variety of different experiences with this phone so I could see if it was something that would fit in with my lifestyle or not.

If I wanted to only hear from people who absolutely adored the thing, I would only listen to the person I know who loves his & not bother to do any research outside of his opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by drained_blue View Post
    Battery life is important, as I will be in classes nonstop all day & won't really have time to be stopping & charging (I'm not taking my laptop on campus with me so that's not an option).
    AIM (Is there even an AOL AIM app?) AND battery life to last all day with no time to charge? Be prepared to use that $50 savings on a spare battery. AIM/IM programs will put a hurtin on any phone... but aren't BBs known for a little better battery life?
    While I'm actually in class, I won't be using AIM because I sadly have to pay attention, but for the hours in between I will.

My current BlackBerry gets charged around lunch & I wind up at about 70% battery by the time I get home at five o'clock after having played around on it all day, so I might be spoiled battery life wise already haha.
    The upcoming PIXI may be the phone for you... $99. But it is an untested phone and 10% thinner than iphone means super thin battery and who knows how good it is or isnt.

I don't like the idea of no wifi part either because wifi has got to be better on battery if you had access to it. Weaker processer and camera but doesnt sound like those are main concerns for you and it should do everything else like the Pre... except the Oreo twist.

you know what you really need to do... or your friend really... kbritt31 needs to let you use the pre for a day full charge and have at it... Use it at school, work, AIM and all. Try out the phone and keyboard... hold it in your hand and feel the quality of the phone for yourself. give it a little spin... actually give it a little Oreo 'twist.' at the end of the day you'll pretty much know if its for you or not.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    AIM (Is there even an AOL AIM app?) AND battery life to last all day with no time to charge? Be prepared to use that $50 savings on a spare battery. AIM/IM programs will put a hurtin on any phone... but aren't BBs known for a little better battery life?
    AIM is integrated directly into the phone, no need for an app.

A spare battery would be a good idea. My sprint store gave me one for free, so I didn't have to spend 50 bucks on it.

I don't know that the Tour would have significantly better battery life than the Pre, to be honest, so you might end up getting a spare with either phone.

Battery life depends a lot on what sort of signal strength Sprint has in your area too.
    I guess I should clarify what I actually use my phone for...

I am not huge on ridiculous technology (have a Creative MP3 player for music & any movies/tv shows I want, so not needed on the phone) & mostly have my phone on 24/7 because I can't check emails & talk to people on AIM at work. Those are the main things, along with occasional online research. Also, having never had a touchscreen phone, I can't say that it would be a defining factor for me.

Right now the main thing that stands out about the Pre is that it's fifty bucks cheaper, which is a lame reason, but almost enough of one to make me pick it over the Tour. My friend praises his constantly & his enthusiasm is appealing...but I'm still on the fence.
    To be completely honest with you I wouldn't touch the Tour at all. Its not a big improvement from the Curve, unless you need to watch videos on the phone or travel overseas its a waste of money. I've also had a lot come back to me with trackball problems, Almost 2/5 sold. So if you were to pass on the Pre I would look more at the Curve. Do some more forum searching before you make your purchase.
    I do, however, own the PRE and absolutely love it, But I also have acess to charging it at will whenever I need (and man i love my touchstone ^_^ car dock, nightstand, work desk; check check and check) But if battery life is a real issue then a blackberry might do you better, unless you purchase the 2600mah pre batt.

Blackberry = Present (some would argue past)
    WebOS = Future (IMHO)
    I'm pretty well aware of how forums work, having been on the internet for more than two months, thanks.
    yeah, but you didnt write the first "cheerleading" post... the call-to-arms, "Talk it up" post. That is what I am addressing. You were but a mystery friend until you stopped in here and actually posted yourself... so nothing personal.

Hi drained_blue,

Thanks for your clarifications. I tend to almost always want to have a laptop around (at least during work and home). Partly this is because my ability to read tiny fonts has diminished as my eyes have seen more and more days. If you have similar vision issues, I'd recommend the additional weight of carrying around a laptop or netbook. If not, the Pre's screen is pretty good. Even I can read web pages in landscape mode, and the screen is sharp and bright. Some people reduce the screen brightness which they say will increase the battery life. I tend to be able to be near an AC outlet, but you'll probably be at a desk in the middle of a lecture hall most of the time. You'll probably need an extended battery. I think you can order one from overseas for around $39 with free shipping. That should arrive in less than 2 weeks after you order it and will take about 3 days to be conditioned for maximum life. In the meantime, recharging your pre at lunchtime or at a library table between longer class breaks should keep you juiced up enough to maintain your envisioned lifestyle. If you can use gmail (or forward your existing email to a gmail account) and set up your gmail to use IMAP instead of POP, you'll save battery life while still getting emails pushed as they happen.

Not surprisingly, blackberry people prefer blackberry keyboards over Palm ones. If you have small hands, you'll probably find the Pre keyboard at least adaptable. You should borrow kbritt31's pre to do some texting in order to see whether you like it or not.

I've heard that the blackberry tour does not have WiFi, this is likely to be the biggest reason you may want to choose the Pre over the Tour. I've found that even my 3Mb/sec home DSL is faster than EVDO. Suprisingly, using the WiFi on the Pre usually saves battery life over using the CDMA radio for internet connectivity. You also can access the internet while on a phone call with WiFi. With EvDO 1A (which all the Sprint phones seem to be at these days), there is a minor possibility of some incoming phone calls going directly to voicemail when you are using (ie xmit/recv) data at the exact moment when the call comes in. Since you will be AIMing a lot, you'll get better performance with the WiFi. The Pre is said to have pretty good integration of messages from multiple IM sources, so if you have friends that communicate using different services at different times of the day, the Pre will offer an advantage here. (I still tend to do most of my IM'ing from my laptop, so you should research this or discuss it with others here to be sure it will really be an advantage for you.)

The only other major complaint from people I can think of at the moment that you should consider is that the slider will become a bit loose over time and you will be able to twist the top and bottom sections of the phone about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch radially. To tell you the truth, when you snap on a protective shell/case, you will not even notice this. Mine was solid when I bought it. A month later, a store tech showed me that it could be oreo'ed, but it took a good bit of force. After two months inside a cheap two part case, I lost the top half of the case and I noticed that my phone can now be easily oreo'ed. With the bottom case still attached, the phone never oreos by itself. While this is a bit annoying to some, I can live with this.

To me, one of the greatest benefits of coming to the Pre is that I don't have to think about integrating and syncing my calendars anymore. My contacts and appointment changes flow across both my phone and any web computer that I use. That's worth a lot to me. I don't use multiple calendars yet, but syncing to google calendar and google mail, a well as being able to easily see twitter updates is really great.

If you get the Pre, you should learn a bit about the Homebrew scene. There are currently a lot of really useful apps over there. These days, it does not take much effort to be able to install and manage those. Homebrew is thought of as being a place where apps can be beta tested prior to being made available in the official app store. It's a lot of fun, and you'll never see anything quite like it on other phones (well at least not in the next year or two).

Hopefully my comments above will help you to better understand some of the good things about the Pre while allowing you to put the complaints in perspective. I recall what this was like before buying my first Treo 300 (and when deciding to later upgrade to other phones). You are lucky to have kbritt31. He can also help you to interpret some of these posts and to be able to determine what their real effect might be for you. If you can find a Tour advocate, that might help to flesh out the other side of your choice. Sometimes a good store employee can help you with the choice (but do your homework first so that they don't railroad you).

good luck,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 09/13/2009 at 03:53 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    A good point about how boring it would be if everyone loved everything.

I'm pretty well aware of how forums work, having been on the internet for more than two months, thanks. I was just hoping to see a variety of different experiences with this phone so I could see if it was something that would fit in with my lifestyle or not.

If I wanted to only hear from people who absolutely adored the thing, I would only listen to the person I know who loves his & not bother to do any research outside of his opinion.

Have you stopped by a Sprint store yet and tested one out? You really should do that first to get a feel for the device if you haven't done so already. The forums here have great info but it's easy to get drawn to the negative posts. There are those here who are technically challenged, needs help but would rather put down the device than ask for it. Others, like already mentioned, don't know how to ask without adding drama, then there are the impulse buyers who buy first, then ask questions. Then lastly, we have the drive-by trolls who only come in here to post negative stuff. They don't own or plan to own one.

Battery life seems to vary a lot but if it's really important to you, you do have some choices. Either buy an extra batt. with a charger, or go big - 2600/2800 mah. Going big will change the look of the Pre but you'll have juice to spare and they will easily get you through the day with heavy use - that's the route I'd recommend.

Just a note on build quality. I still have my original Pre date code 7/1/9. I've dropped it hard a few times and use it heavily and I have not seen any signs of the slider loosening up. There is a slight twist (very slight) but, imo, this is totally normal for a slide phone. Only if there is excessive twisting should you worry about it. You'll see tons of threads here about the 'perfect pre', that's BS. What has been happening, is Best Buy and Sprint, not knowing enough about the phone in general, have been swapping them out for BS reasons when they shouldn't be. And a lot those phones have now been put back into circulation( thankfully) and they seem to be getting wise to it and making harder for people to swap. There are some issues, like stuck pixels, or phones stuck in speaker mode that warrants a replacement which is totally understandable and is not out of the norm. But some people are just way too anal or ignorant about the phone and want a replacement for smallest of things. And of course the majority NEVER admits to doing anything wrong, "the phone just sat there and cracked all by its self". Yeah sure.

Also I'd get the insurance if I were you because it does cover accidental water damage and the phone is not cheap to replace.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    The screen on my Palm m125 just sat there and cracked by itself. I was using it at night, put it down on the table and went to sleep, I go to it the next morning and there is a black line running down the middle. I thought it was a software glitch(it was perfectly straight) and I kept using it. Within two or three days half the screen had been bled over with black and eventually it just quit working altogether. Couldn't get it replaced either.

I would not get insurance though. Sprint has a pretty good Early Termination Fee now, it goes down $10 each month. If your Pre lasts a year then you will only spend about 50-80 dollars more on the next phone, meaning you can probably replace it for around $200, but with an updated model. The deductible on the insurance is $100.

Running the numbers, assuming it breaks after one year:

Insurance: $100 deductible + $84 monthly charges. Total: $184
    Going it alone: $80 ETF + $150 subsidized phone. Total: $230, but you get the new model of the Pre.

And if you assume it breaks after 15 months, the numbers change to:

Insurance: $205
    Without: $200, but the new model.

So insurance is really only worth it if you plan on breaking the device within the first 14 months, or even less than that depending on how much you would be willing to pay to upgrade to a Pre2.
    Last edited by drizek; 09/13/2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Well I'm no cheerleader and Pre is scheduled for replacement, but I still can't see myself using other phones.

I played with the Tour and it seems decent, the calendar is much more usable. But multitasking and web browsing on the Pre way ahead of the Tour.

One last point, you mentioned that a $50 difference can make the choice, but you should know that with high end smartphone the real cost is hidden in the plan over the two year contract. So even though the Pre and Tour plans are the same, in the end those 50 bucks are insignificant.
    Not sure if there have been any definitive posts on this, but having come from a Blackberry Bold (basically a GSM Tour), the battery life is basically a push on the Blackberry vs the Pre. Plus, the Blackberry Tours seem to be having some hardware issues, and the BB trackballs in general are famous for eventually getting some dirt in them and not responding properly.

I just found the Blackberry experience to be solid, but not too flashy. And I prefer flashy, so I went with a Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast