1.    #1  
    I upgraded to WebOS 1.2 (prerelease) a few days back and have an issue trying to change the wallpaper. With 1.1 it pulled up on the wallpaper folder, now it pulls up all of the images on the Pre. I select a wallpaper and it doesn't change it. I get the scrolling circle (busy) thingy, and only one time did it change. Anyone else with 1.2 have this issue?
    Last edited by bobwonderful; 09/14/2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: edit per request from scrupul0us
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    I upgraded to WebOS 1.2 a few days back and have an issue trying to change the wallpaper. With 1.1 it pulled up on the wallpaper folder, now it pulls up all of the images on the Pre. I select a wallpaper and it doesn't change it. I get the scrolling circle (busy) thingy, and only one time did it change. Anyone else with 1.2 have this issue?
    No, I have 1.2 and have changed the wallpaper serveral times with no issues.
  3.    #3  
    Ok, I figured it out. Apparently the wallpaper I had selected was a .png file so I had to convert it to a jpg file and it works now. Duh, I didn't check the other jpg files because I had one specific one which I was trying to get working.
    Thanks for the confirmation. It got me to figure out thing quickly.
    bob please state that you are using the LEAKED version of webos 1.2 and not the official... your thread is misleading
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    bob please state that you are using the LEAKED version of webos 1.2 and not the official... your thread is misleading
    I wouldn't call it a leak... It was posted on the official update site in the official way and then later removed. It may have been an accident but to call it a leak is misleading.
    Yes but we really should not be posting problems or solutions to an unreleased OS unless it is made clear that it is a test install!

The final 1.2 could actually be different and things could change.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I wouldn't call it a leak... It was posted on the official update site in the official way and then later removed. It may have been an accident but to call it a leak is misleading.
    That pretty much describes a leak.
    But it wasn't posted on the official update site. In fact, it was just an image for webOS Doctor that's meant to fix Palm Pres.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That pretty much describes a leak.
    No it doesn't. A leak implies a malicious act on someone's part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    But it wasn't posted on the official update site. In fact, it was just an image for webOS Doctor that's meant to fix Palm Pres.
    And that image was posted on Palm's official support site where they put all of them.
    And that image was posted on Palm's official support site
    Exactly... They didn't issue an update then backtrack, they updated a support image then removed it. Big difference.
    No it doesn't. A leak implies a malicious act on someone's part.
    Oh, don't worry about the water coming through the crack in the dam, it wasn't caused by a malicious act so it's not actually a leak!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Oh, don't worry about the water coming through the crack in the dam, it wasn't caused by a malicious act so it's not actually a leak!
    The relevant definitions of the word "leak" from Webter's dictionary:

1. to become known despite efforts at concealment <confidential information leaked out> b : to be the source of an information leak
    2. to give out (information) surreptitiously <leaked the story to the press>

Neither is the case here. Other definitions of the word deal with physical substance leaks and not information. Obviously that's not the same thing.

Other definitions of "leak" (dealing with information) from The Free Dictionary:

1. Informal To become publicly known through a breach of secrecy: The news has leaked.
    2. Informal An unauthorized or a deliberate disclosure of confidential information: "Sometimes we can't respond to stories based on leaks" (Ronald Reagan).

Clearly this was not a leak.
    1. Informal An unauthorized or a deliberate disclosure of confidential information: "Sometimes we can't respond to stories based on leaks" (Ronald Reagan).

According to your point there it could have been a leak if Palm knew about it and did it on purpose.

They probably had a server setup to move it at a specific time (thus doing it on purpose) but forgot to disable it once they decided to wait.

You're arguing over semantics which is really silly. Leaks don't have to be malicious; that's a pretty silly thing to argue especially since some of the definitions you quote prove his point, heh.
    The relevant definitions of the word "leak" from Webter's dictionary:

1. to become known despite efforts at concealment <confidential information leaked out> b : to be the source of an information leak
    2. to give out (information) surreptitiously <leaked the story to the press>

Neither is the case here. Other definitions of the word deal with physical substance leaks and not information. Obviously that's not the same thing.

Other definitions of "leak" (dealing with information) from The Free Dictionary:

1. Informal To become publicly known through a breach of secrecy: The news has leaked.
    2. Informal An unauthorized or a deliberate disclosure of confidential information: "Sometimes we can't respond to stories based on leaks" (Ronald Reagan).

Perfect, I'm glad you went to the trouble to verify my point. From the definitions above, the leak can be malicious or simply released "despite efforts at concealment".

So, if information is revealed due to an issue with the process of concealment, and was not "maliciously" released, it's still a leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Perfect, I'm glad you went to the trouble to verify my point. From the definitions above, the leak can be malicious or simply released "despite efforts at concealment".

So, if information is revealed due to an issue with the process of concealment, and was not "maliciously" released, it's still a leak.
    So your point is that Palm is attempting to conceal its update? Then I guess they shouldn't have posted it on their public support site for people to download. They have no reason to try to keep updates hidden. Don't you think it's more probable that they just decided it wasn't time to release it yet for whatever reason or that they decided there was a problem with it that needed to be fixed? You really think Palm wants to keep its updates secret?
    LOL
  18.    #18  
    Geez.. close this thread please.. Issue resolved. Don't get your panties all wound up!