1.    #1  
    I have been using a Blackberry Tour for a couple of months and am seriously considering trading for a Pre but I have a couple of questions.

First how strong is the vibrate? This is very important to me as I cannot have my phone making noise at work. I am a cop so the vibrate must be strong enough to feel through my vest(I keep my phone in my shirt pocket). For calls, emails, and texts I rely only on the vibrate function to notify me. With the Blackberry I can feel it if I am doing nothing but if I am focused on anything at all I don't feel it.

Second is email. My main issue with email on the blackberry is its absolutely horrible handling of HTML email, it is a joke for a device that makes its name on email capabilities. How does the Pre do? I use gmail. I know the Pre can do push email but does it also do IMAP, i.e. can I delete from gmail servers on the phone?

The other issue I had with the BB is the browser options but I know that is an area that the Pre accells.

How is autocorrect? I love that the blackberry automatically corrects conjunctions and mis-spellings.

My other concern is tethering and Palm's ability to break it at will but it seems the author of MyTether is staying on top of it. This is absolutely vital as I at times need data in my car for work, BB makes this extremely easy and it is a concern that it is not officially supported with the Pre. Wifi tethering would be very nice as that is a feature I sorely miss from my Diamond.

That is all off the top of my head, any other thoughts would be appreciated.
    Here's something to consider...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nal-issue.html

If this is a real issue and if it's more of a design issue then it would be a big issue if I was a buyer. I won't buy a phone if it's got signal issues and causes me to miss/drop calls.
    The Pre doesn't do HTML e-mail all that great, either (I don't know of any devices that do). If you have the ability, I strongly suggest playing around with a demo model at Best Buy or the Sprint Store
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I own a Pre and love it...it's probably the most enjoyable phone I've ever owned. My son owns a Blackberry Tour. Based on things you mention like vibrate and e-mail...I don't think the Pre gains you anything in those areas. The Pre has a fantastic browser, but other areas of the phone have their limitations which are documented in detail on these forums. The Tour is a great phone, and you can always download Opera Mobile to see if it addresses your web browsing issues.

All in all...I wouldn't recommend switching at this time.
    Last edited by tsims10s; 09/13/2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarify meaning
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Here's something to consider...

If this is a real issue and if it's more of a design issue then it would be a big issue if I was a buyer. I won't buy a phone if it's got signal issues and causes me to miss/drop calls.
    The signal quality of the Tour is iffy as well. Definately a step down from my Diamond I had before.

I own a Pre and love it...it's probably the most enjoyable phone I've ever owned. My son owns a Blackberry Tour. Based on things you mention like vibrate and e-mail...I don't think the Pre gains you anything in those areas. The Pre has a fantastic browser, but other areas of the phone have their limitations which are documented in detail on these forums. The Tour is a great phone, and you can always download Opera Mobile to see if it addresses your web browsing issues.
    I use Opera as my everyday browser and Bolt for a few sites that don't play nice with Opera. It seems that it is a danged if I do and danged if I don't.
  6.    #6  
    Another thing, is the warranty on the Pre transferable?
    Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    Second is email. My main issue with email on the blackberry is its absolutely horrible handling of HTML email, it is a joke for a device that makes its name on email capabilities. How does the Pre do? I use gmail. I know the Pre can do push email but does it also do IMAP, i.e. can I delete from gmail servers on the phone?
    I had a BlackBerry Bold so I understand your email frustrations with IMAP support. I think the email on the Pre works quite well and HTML emails works great, unless you're hooked up to Exchange then that account won't get HTML email.

And yes, you can delete email from GMail via IMAP. In fact, read statuses are also synced (but seemingly not frequently).

Though, my Bold also handled HTML email decently...
    The other issue I had with the BB is the browser options but I know that is an area that the Pre accells.
    Yes the Pre browser is really good. The only thing I miss from my Bold is Opera since it syncs bookmarks across all of my devices (at work, at home, on my phone, etc).
    How is autocorrect? I love that the blackberry automatically corrects conjunctions and mis-spellings.
    Autocorrect flatout sucks compared to the BlackBerry, I'm sorry to say.
    My other concern is tethering and Palm's ability to break it at will but it seems the author of MyTether is staying on top of it. This is absolutely vital as I at times need data in my car for work, BB makes this extremely easy and it is a concern that it is not officially supported with the Pre. Wifi tethering would be very nice as that is a feature I sorely miss from my Diamond.
    If you need to rely on data tethering... then I would hold off until it's offcially supported.

Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    The Pre doesn't do HTML e-mail all that great, either (I don't know of any devices that do). If you have the ability, I strongly suggest playing around with a demo model at Best Buy or the Sprint Store
    Actually, it does HTML email very well (I get quite a bit of it).

The only problem is if you're hooked up to Exchange.... then you'll get no HTML email for that account. I really wish they'd fix that.
    Another thing, is the warranty on the Pre transferable?
    Technically speaking... I don't think any warranties are ever transferable unless it's a large item (like a car or a home). So probably no luck with that.
  8.    #8  
    I don't use exchange, only gmail.
    My biggest problem with the Pre right now (other than the fact that the OS is irritatingly laggy) is that the battery life is really poor. I cannot go the whole day without recharging (even if I don't use much talk time).
    The vibrate isn't that strong on the Pre. HTML emails are done very well.. I concur with the previous poster. Auto correct is still not great. Battery life isn't great either unless you buy a Mugen 1400 Battery which I did, then it will last you easily 12-24 hours and is cheap. The phone isn't as mature as the blackberry's are in terms of complete functionality but I think that will change as updates are done.. in which there is one coming this month.
    As far as html email goes I think it works great. Makes me glad Victoria's Secret has my address lol. Links in html email open the browser so thats pretty cool. All in all I would say the email so far for me has been pretty on par with my iphone.

Vibrate is decent I can feel it in my jeans pocket but not sure how it would do through a vest (bullet proof?).

Do be prepared with a charger. Web browser is so nice and find myself using it a-lot, which eats the battery. On days I use it heavily it needs thrown on the charger once. (Get an extra touchstone for the car, very cool chargers!) Although there are days that I can make it through.

I just switched to Sprint from the iphone and att and considered the Tour while I was in my 30 days. The browser killed it for me. I went into the Sprint store and tried to log onto my bank account. I got it to work but it took a whole lot of configuring and time, and still didnt render the page right. With the Pre the page loads fast and accurate.

I have to say the Pre has pretty much made me forget all about my 3gs. With the update that looks to be around the corner "what 3gs?"...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RattDawg68 View Post

Vibrate is decent I can feel it in my jeans pocket but not sure how it would do through a vest (bullet proof?).

Do be prepared with a charger. Web browser is so nice and find myself using it a-lot, which eats the battery. On days I use it heavily it needs thrown on the charger once. (Get an extra touchstone for the car, very cool chargers!) Although there are days that I can make it through.
    Yeah, its a bullet proof vest. I know that is asking a lot for any phone but I can always hope.

I know the battery sucks but I spend my days in a car so keeping charged won't be a big deal.

The browser is something I am really looking at. Opera is decent but navigation is a pain, for instance you cannot move the cursor diagonally, vertical and horizontal only.