Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #2  
    wow he really let Palm have it... the scary thing is that in many ways, he's right. I think Palm made a bold move with the Pre (don't know about the Pixi, we'll see if it attracts the market segment it aims for), but in many ways I still think the Pre falls short of being compared to iPhone. Before I get flamed, I gotta say, I love my Pre, and I think the grassroots of communities (and developers) like we have is keeping it alive and could make it a long term success. But Palm released an immature OS with significant bugs; I bet if they put their time and energy prior to release in to increasing usability of the phone (i.e. smoothing out the OS via WebGL support and enabling effective CPU scaling) instead of worrying about things like iTunes sync, it would have had a MUCH bigger hit on its hands.
  2. #3  
    And now, hot on the lukewarm heels of the Pre, comes . . . a tiny little phone that I can't imagine wanting to use, even if I got one free.
    Seriously? If he can't figure out that he's not the intended demographic for the Pixi anyway, there's something wrong.

    As for:

    It got buried by the resurrection of Steve Jobs and a new Nano that has a video camera.
    ... I thought the general opinion even among Apple fanboys was that the Apple conference was actually pretty underwhelming... besides the fact that the Nano isn't even remotely competition for a smartphone, two entirely different markets.


    Anyway, as Palm has said all along, they don't need to defeat the iPhone in order to succeed. Their financials are starting to stabilize, they've got a great product on the market that is coming out of exclusivity soon, and another set to launch in the next few months, and more importantly, they have a really solid foundation for their future now with webOS. I don't see what's so worrying for the author about that - no, the Pre didn't outsell the iPhone, but nobody realistically expected it to.
  3. Tubal's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #4  
    1. Think of something hot and interesting.
    2. Write something controversial about it.
    3. ?????
    4. Profit!

    Seriously?

    Look who wrote the article, and then look at the picture on his wikipedia page:

    Daniel Lyons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    1. Think of something hot and interesting.
    2. Write something controversial about it.
    3. ?????
    4. Profit!

    Seriously?

    Look who wrote the article, and then look at the picture on his wikipedia page:

    Daniel Lyons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    yep fanboy indeed. just because its published doesn't mean its not BS
  5. #6  
    Well, I think the guy is fairly blind in the way he is looking at the scenario.

    For some odd reason he is looking at the pixi as a direct iPhone competitor. And I just don't agree with that. The Pixi is designed to replace the centro, just as the pre was supposed to replace the treo. However, the candy bar design is loved by many many people, and I see the Pixi as a much larger threat to blackberrys. If Palm can drag people away from blackberry then they have made a very smart move.

    But Mr. Lyons mostly bashes the Pre because it didn't kill the iPhone. Well, if you look at the iPhone, sans apps, versus the Pre, sans apps, the Pre blows the iPhone out of the water except in the MP3 player category. The iPhone's strength is the App Store. Without it, it is just an MP3 player that can browser the internet well, and sort of do email and calendars. Palm's App Catalog is growing. Each week 10 more apps make it in and homebrew is fueling more and more of that. Once the Catalog is out of beta and rounded out, Mr. Lyons should make another comparison. I think he will find that the iPhone has gone the way of an entertainment device, playing games and movies (Jobs said that the iPod Touch was a gaming platform) and the Pre has gone the way of a business device sporting document editing, push e-mail, clean efficient notifications, and multitasking.
  6. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #7  
    I thought this was a fairly good analysis.


    Take Profits On Palm - Forbes.com
  7. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #8  
    Daniel Lyons is a poopy pants about Palm for reasons I don't understand.

    My biggest issue with his article, first and foremost, is his reference to Palm: Pre Sales To Whiff Targets? - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com .

    There seems to be a disparity between what Palm expected sales to be (they've been mum), what analysts think they should have been, and what analysts "report" they are.

    On to the "iPhone killer" portion. The author of the article says:

    " Palm needed to blow the iPhone away. It needed to reinvent the category. And, well, it didn't. It made a nice phone. A very nice phone. That's not nearly enough."

    Further reading of Mr. Lyons feature article from back in January, however, has a quote from McNamee himself, with which I tend to agree:

    "Our success is totally independent of what the others do. We would not have invested based on the premise that RIM and Apple would fail. If we get even 1 percent of global market share," he says, "we'll be huge compared to where we are now."

    Now, of course Palm and Sprint are going to compare the Pre to the iPhone, but that doesn't mean that they ever intended it to be an "iPhone" killer (if there is such a thing), as the author suggests. Nor did it or will it ever need to be.

    The author also seems to have a rather strong dislike for the Pixie. While I agree that it's a phone that I personally would never own, I can see it's purpose in helping to capture more of the smartphone market, and that makes the Pixie A-OK in my book. My 17 year old nephew will be delighted.

    The articles conclusion? Palm needs a "killer" product to survive.

    Deep.

    Let's see what happens on Palm's earning call on the 17th.
  8. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #9  
    As much as I like FSJ (Fake Steve Jobs)
    I say stop writing such stories pitting one against other.
    Its not a mvie. Its business.
    We shall see.
    I heard Pre sold 1 million phones, that to me is impressive
    Especially taking into the state Palm was in.
    Its not about You and I , its about Palm making money.
    They are making money though not as much as Apple.
    But they will survive. Pixie will be a hit.
  9. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #10  
    Women....

    All they need to do is make it pink.
  10. #11  
    Only palm knows how much they sold.

    I think the writer has the right idea to worry about Palm, but he didn't exactly hit on the right reasons. Palm doesn't need an iphone killer. IMO, he's part of the problem in pushing that BS. Actually doing stuff in accordance with some of Apple's events is brilliant. Since you can't compete with the media BS you may as well use it to your advantage.

    He's right that the Pixi is dumb but again, doesn't quite grasp why.
  11. #12  
    Success for the Pixi will be all about pricing. If they come in at $79.99, they'll sell like hotcakes. Palm needs to get the Pixi on multiple carriers as soon as humanly possible, price it LESS than the $99 iPhone and they'll have a winner. IMO
  12. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Well, I think the guy is fairly blind in the way he is looking at the scenario.

    For some odd reason he is looking at the pixi as a direct iPhone competitor. And I just don't agree with that. The Pixi is designed to replace the centro, just as the pre was supposed to replace the treo. However, the candy bar design is loved by many many people, and I see the Pixi as a much larger threat to blackberrys. If Palm can drag people away from blackberry then they have made a very smart move.

    But Mr. Lyons mostly bashes the Pre because it didn't kill the iPhone. Well, if you look at the iPhone, sans apps, versus the Pre, sans apps, the Pre blows the iPhone out of the water except in the MP3 player category. The iPhone's strength is the App Store. Without it, it is just an MP3 player that can browser the internet well, and sort of do email and calendars. Palm's App Catalog is growing. Each week 10 more apps make it in and homebrew is fueling more and more of that. Once the Catalog is out of beta and rounded out, Mr. Lyons should make another comparison. I think he will find that the iPhone has gone the way of an entertainment device, playing games and movies (Jobs said that the iPod Touch was a gaming platform) and the Pre has gone the way of a business device sporting document editing, push e-mail, clean efficient notifications, and multitasking.

    If the Pixie sells for $99 as expected, that puts it squarely up against the iPhone 3G (or perhaps a lower-end 3GS in a few weeks, if rumors are to be believed).

    I agree that apps, and the SDK they are based on, largely shores up Apple's advantage. But you can't just make an argument "sans apps" and expect it to reflect reality. At best, it's a "what if" theory on paper. Like it or not, the present-day Palm Pre is going to be compared to the present-day Apple iPhone. Apple has about a 2 year head start in a category they defined, so it's not surprising they are in front. The reality is that Palm is going to be in a perpetual catch-up mode with their current products.

    Take for instance the Mojo SDK. It lags behind the iPhone SDK in many, many ways, and it's immature when you look at it independently, just based on it's own technology. Palm has a long way to go before they bring their SDK up to the level of Apple's. In the meantime, Apple is also moving forward.

    As I said in another thread recently, Palm has the potential to leapfrog Apple if they come up with something new and big (just as the iPhone was in 2007). But the current hardware and SDK are not leapfrog products or technologies. Palm basically is going head to head with the current state of the art, and struggling.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gpb
    I heard Pre sold 1 million phones, that to me is impressive
    I heard they only sold 300,000 which is unimpressive. I also suspect neither of us is right, but we probably have the answer bracketed. We'll both be a lot smarter about this in 4 more days.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp
    But they will survive. Pixie will be a hit.
    The Palm corporate board is heaving a sigh of relief and the stockholders are cheering all because of this statement. Are you FJR (Fake Jon Rubenstein) in another life?
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Are you FJR (Fake Jon Rubenstein) in another life?
    I am not.
    But sure , I wish I were Fake Jon.

    About the 300K number , I doubt its that low.
    But hey , why speculate , wait for four more days. We all know , if PALM or SPRINT shares the number.

    My 2 cents , they will not publicize it.
    Its more than a year for Samsung instinct , yet we don't know the numbers.
  15. JSX
    JSX is offline
    JSX's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    #16  
    Why does everything in the damned business community have to be based on what Apple does first? I bet if Apple had gone forward with the Iphone Nano, Fanboy Lyons would have hailed it as a great move for Seniors, teens, moms, dads and busy people on the go. Now that there is a Pixi all he can say is meh. Sad.
  16. #17  
    the pre could be approaching the 1 million sales mark.
    Katie Mitic, a Palm senior vice president, wouldn't discuss specifics about Pre's sales, except to note that "Palm is back. We're really happy with the launch."Bajarin estimates that Palm has sold just under 1 million Pre phones in the past three months.

    Palm's Pixi smartphone flies into youth market - USATODAY.com
  17. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JSX View Post
    Why does everything in the damned business community have to be based on what Apple does first? I bet if Apple had gone forward with the Iphone Nano, Fanboy Lyons would have hailed it as a great move for Seniors, teens, moms, dads and busy people on the go. Now that there is a Pixi all he can say is meh. Sad.
    Rightly said,
    If it was released by APPLE , it will be another revolutionary product to tap the "Low End" customers.
    And how Jobso , spent the last six months hatching the product plan.
    How it was genius idea to put a camera in the NANO.
    And how only 1% of the population use the Wifi.
    And how the iPhone is bulky , ugly , not pocketable, no keyboard.
    while the nano phone is sleek, with real keyboard.... so on.


    Majority of the customers don't do research.
    They go by brand name and "GENERAL TALK".
    "Look and feel " will add to the "TALK".
    The notion among the public and media is "Apple is a bigger brand , hence everything they do it superiors to others.".


    For the sake of the world , the cut and paste is not available until recently. The multitasking and video camera were added two years late.
  18. #19  
    I can't wait for Apple's next innovation... the removable iBattery and the corresponding 2000 or so cool battery icon apps!!!
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I can't wait for Apple's next innovation... the removable iBattery and the corresponding 2000 or so cool battery icon apps!!!
    Well the removable battery will prolly appear on the Iphone 4GSRB and the writer of the Newsweek article and other business writes will say that Apple has once again revolutionized and changed the smartphone game by implementing a removable battery.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions