Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    In order for a phone to gain or become the next standard it has in my opinion to be a "game changer". Something that redefines or takes to the next level the use of the smartphone.

For perspective the iphone was the first to introduce a ridiculously large screen 3.5, touch, multi-touch and a super easy user interface. Nothing else on the market at the time could "touch" it. You can see how this changed and basically set the standard for smartphones.

Now the Pre does have the WebOs and the multi-task card interface is kinda-neat but is it really a game changer? I think some will find this a handy feature but I don't think the masses will view it as such.

The rest of the hardware features and design are far from innovative so I doubt Palm will be leading the way anytime soon.

I don't own an Iphone, just calling it the way I see it.
    Palm doesnt do things the way apple does... sounds like it changes the game to me

I will also say that Apple caters, mainly, to its user base... e.g. people using their hardware and software...

Palm is more so catering to anyone with half a brain that wants a more "open" platform/os that can easily be developed for and can/will be open to more applications... The only reason they are so diligent about itunes compatibility is because they are trying to draw customers away from the iphone... I'm sure you'll see a wealth of media sync options to come
    Last edited by scrupul0us; 09/12/2009 at 10:00 PM.
    +1
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    no.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    No, its not a "game changer". Not in the way the original Palm was, or the PocketPC, or the original Treo, or the iPhone. Its more of an evolution than a revolution, combining the simplistic touch interface of the iPhone with the power of multitasking found elsewhere. However, one does not have to be a "game changer" to be impactful.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    It's only a game changer in that it's one of few phones to challenge the iPhone and actually beat it in some categories (mainly multitasking). While it in no way dwarfs or defeats the iPhone, it at least provides a little bit of healthy competition to Apple, something they haven't had to deal with much. Let's just say the pressure is on to get multitasking into the next iPhone now.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    Palm is more so catering to anyone with half a brain that wants a more "open" platform/os that can easily be developed for and can/will be open to more applications... The only reason they are so diligent about itunes compatibility is because they are trying to draw customers away from the iphone... I'm sure you'll see a wealth of media sync options to come
    Hmmmm.....I understand the open platform for development but I think that's more a game changer for developers. Maybe I should have said "game changer" for the end user.

I think Palm would have a greater chance to draw iphone customers away by duplicating with minor "tweaks" the Iphone handset design. That way they already have a proven form factor with a superior operating system.

Who knows... Maybe Palm will suprise us with the P120?
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    Palm is more so catering to anyone with half a brain that wants a more "open" platform/os that can easily be developed for and can/will be open to more applications...
    I would be surprised if the number of WebOS apps ever matches the number of iPhone apps and anyone with a whole brain who wants an "open" platform is just as likely to pick Android which is much more open than WebOS.
    The Pre, a game-changer?

Sorry, no. It's a great phone with big potential. I love my Pre.

Hardly a game-changer, though.

It actually lacks so many basic elements like camcorder, voice control, sms forwarding, etc., it would be impossible to call this phone a game-changer.

Apple changed the game and everyone else is catching up. I think that's the way it'll be for a while.
    For me, I'd say yes it is. I can't imagine switching back to any other operating system after webOS (bugs/issues and all). The Synergy setup, combined calendars, combined IM/SMS, and card metaphor for multitasking are just that far of a leap ahead for my needs that now no other operating system would do (with where they are now... I'm not saying that they couldn't make me change my mind again in the future).

I'd almost count the way the Pre handles notifications in the list of game-changing features, but Android's is very close so it's not that big of a leap ahead of the competition compared to the rest.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    The Pre, a game-changer?

Sorry, no. It's a great phone with big potential. I love my Pre.

Hardly a game-changer, though.

It actually lacks so many basic elements like camcorder, voice control, sms forwarding, etc., it would be impossible to call this phone a game-changer.

Apple changed the game and everyone else is catching up. I think that's the way it'll be for a while.
    Uhh... when the iPhone came it, it also lacked many basic features.... some of them you listed....
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The Synergy setup, combined calendars, combined IM/SMS, and card metaphor for multitasking are just that far of a leap ahead for my needs that now no other operating system would do (with where they are now... I'm not saying that they couldn't make me change my mind again in the future).
    Synergy type features are coming to other smartphone OSs including versions of Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Synergy type features are coming to other smartphone OSs including versions of Android.
    Yeah, I know that, but it's the total package for me right now, the combination of everything I mentioned. And if something was so revolutionary that other operating systems are following it, that's the very definition of game-changer anyway, isn't it?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Unfortunately I think the pre will end up being the dreamcast of phones. A really great device that will die out and then years later people will look back and realize how good of a phone the pre is.

I hope I am wrong though.
    not sure if its a game changer for everyone but it is definitely a game changer for me.

1. blackberry wasnt powerful enough
    2. winmo was horribly slow
    3. palm os was becoming obselete
    4. iphone doesnt mutitask- i have ipod touch and i hate closing out last.fm to do anything else
    5. everything else was a dumbphone

i'd say the pre coupled with sprint service definitely is a winning combo.

and how much did SPRINT change the game with mobile to mobile??
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    Unfortunately I think the pre will end up being the dreamcast of phones. A really great device that will die out and then years later people will look back and realize how good of a phone the pre is.

I hope I am wrong though.
    yes dreamcast was amazing. Powerstone 2...best game EVER
    You've gotta be IN the game to change it. This cannot even be considered a "smartphone" if it doesn't have the ancient, basic, practically prehistoric functions/features that $20 phones from the nineties had; such as notification nags (which can be crucial) and many other things.
    You've gotta be in it to change it.
    I think it's really too early to tell if it's a game changer or not.

A lot of people cry and complain all day long about the things that the Pre can't do, even though it can do a good deal more than the iphone could do this soon after launch, and the iphone was most certainly a game changer.

Combine that with Sprint's very reasonable subscription costs, (almost 40% less than ATT) and Palms openness with developers, (look how long a public SDK took to get for the iphone) and I think the Pre certainly has the potential to be a game changer.

Whether or not it lives up to that potential depends on Palm, Sprint, and most importantly, marketing.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think it's really too early to tell if it's a game changer or not.
    Not really - a game changer generally has immediate impact, what shockwaves have occurred in the marketplace because of the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Not really - a game changer generally has immediate impact, what shockwaves have occurred in the marketplace because of the pre?
    You make a fair point, and I can't give you any examples of "pam pre shockwaves," but let's look at a few of the waves the iphone (acknowledged game changer) created on launch, and on launch of the second version of it.

Thousands of angry customers who couldn't even activate their phones, in some cases for several days after purchase.
    itunes service outages.
    Clogging of the ATT network to the point where many people couldn't use their iphone for anything but calls.
    300 page bills for heavy users who didn't sign up for electronic billing.
    Even more missing and broken features at the original launch.

As I said, right now the Pre is not a game changer. I don't think there's any real argument about that. However, the Pre came out with FEWER problems than the iphone, is already capable of far more than the iphone was this soon after launch, has hardware that will allow it to go farther than the iphone has, and is developing faster than the iphone ever did.

IF palm can keep up their momentum and get just a few basic problems taken care of soon, I really do believe the Pre can become a game changer.

As for the notion that game changers are either game changers from the word go, or not at all, that's a load of BS.

Einstein was believed to be 'slow' be his early teachers, flunked out of several schools and ended up working at a patent office shuffling papers before completely revolutionizing physics and helping to create the atomic bomb.

Michael Jordan was kicked off his High School basketball team before becoming one of the most recognizable athletes in history.

The VW Beetle was originally meant to be a throw-away car, and after WWII, several foreign motor companies had the chance to acquire VW for next to nothing and they all passed because it was deemed to have no future as a brand or as a product, but went on become one of the highest selling cars of all time.

History is filled with examples of people, products and nations that started out as nothing, and went on to change the world.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 09/13/2009 at 04:43 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast