Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's a game changer if properly managed. Wasting resources on a pixie, lack of focus, horrible marketing, soft launch, bad quality, etc instead reminded us that its the same ole Palm.

Me thinks Palm needs a CEO that knows how to manage a business.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    What is a game changer anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It's the first device in it's class where the dev kit came out to the public before the phone.
    I think Android OS was made open source and available before the phone (G1) was released.

For me I think in a simple statement... "A game changer is taking 'it' to another level... "raising the bar" so to speak."

You can use that to describe people like Michael Jordan or technology like TVs from CRT to LCD/Plasma to whatever. You dont have to be original creator of the technology like touchscreen or (edit) MULTITASKING (which was already available in Windows Mobile)... but you had to have created something that changed the way people see the technology and use the technology and change the direction of technology.

iPhone... fits this. They didn't make touch screen or browser or mobile music (Walkman). But they put it together and offered a phone like no other and made it attractive to the public... a phone with GUI that eliminated the stylus, gave a rich desktop like browsing experience (closest thing I saw before that was Opera on WM) and their dominating iPod music experience and some other features like accessing email and adding calendar and a camera... This was NOT a smartphone at the time... but we can see this was the start of something big and just by itself it changed the mobile phone space. And over time they have kept raising and raising the bar with the itunes experience, the addition of apps to the phone (again WM had apps but apple took it to the next level), to refinement of their product to what it is now. They have raised the bar. They have set some standards. They changed the space.

Apple has done this many times... They didnt invent the GUI... but they changed the game by offering a computer to the people with GUI OS (yes MS too) that changed the game of personal computing. They didnt invent the Walkman, but they changed the game with iPod.

With all that being said...

The Pre a game changer? No. Not right now.

At Pre-release and 3 months ago... it looked like it could... optimistic it could... by taking the phone and raising the bar and taking it to another level.

But 3 months in you can see it hasnt even gotten to the point where it can break ahead... It's got bugs... silly little ones like loosing swoosh sounds and memory leaks. It's got hardware quality issues. It's lacking features and the MAIN one is the app store along with the little ones like video and scrubber on their music player and they are playing this silly game with Apple and iTunes instead of creating their own SW. All this and more while all their competition around them are not standing still and are looking to raise the bar themselves.

Everyone has their idea of what a 'game changer' means and that was it for me.

The Pre hasnt gotten there yet. But it's not out of the game. But it doesnt have the luxury of time that iPhone had. And since then iPhone has raised the standard and are not standing still along with Android and whatever BB thinks it's doing with Storm2.
    Last edited by donm527; 09/13/2009 at 08:09 AM.
    it seems at least two things are required for a device to be considered a 'game changer.'

1) Introduce features or ways to implement features that are truly innovative and that others rush to replicate.

2) Become a best seller.

Whether you hate the iphone or not, I'd say it's difficult to argue that it was not a game changer. Key iPhone features are being adopted and it sold 1M phones within a month.

The Pre has (or had??) the potential to be a game changer because of synergy, the card system, form factor, etc. But it stumbled out of the gate because of bad marketing decisions, poor launch strategy, etc. And so the Pre's chance of becoming a best seller has been hurt significantly.

However, the game is NOT over for the Pre. If Palm can scale aggressively over the next few months and improve their marketing, they might stand a chance to make the Pre a best seller. But they have to move quickly since the Androids, Nokias, (and ultimately Apples) of the world are quickly replicating their core features.

Note: even if the Pre does not become a 'best seller,' it does not mean the Pre failed. So please keep the flaming to a minimum.
    Last edited by Really mobile; 09/13/2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: a few typos, etc
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Palm has the potential to leapfrog Apple if they come up with something new and big (just as the iPhone was in 2007). But the current hardware and SDK are not leapfrog products or technologies. Are there some nice features? Yes. Are some aspects of the device/OS better than the iPhone? Definitely yes. But not enough to be a real game changer. Palm is basically going head to head with the current state of the art, and struggling in the process.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    lol, lots of people trying very hard not to say anything good about WebOS. Hell, the iphone (jailbroken) has a WebOS emulator. Someone show me your iphone emulators for your Palm Pre, nuff said.
    ok GST4, you win.

Returning to th logical, reasonable and intelligent discussion, webOS in it's current state is quite good in terms of development. The apps quality with the current version of the SDK isn't much different that it would be done with native access, basically because always appears basic stuff firstly.

Much people complains because of that, but I'm sure that complains are more about the lack of code protection. I see people complaining that makes apps absolutely doable with javascript, so it isn't the SDK capacity. Not all cases, sure, but a vast quantity of cases.

Talking about the device itself, is a good device, and a lot of people is trying (yes, trying) to copy it's Sinergy features. The problem here is that Palm is smaller than the rest of players, but selling numbers are very good, assuming that rummoured numbers are true.

Just pick the first gen IPhone numbers, and compare it: yes, IPhone sales were bigger, but the Apple's user base is much bigger than Palm's.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    lol, lots of people trying very hard not to say anything good about WebOS. Hell, the iphone (jailbroken) has a WebOS emulator. Someone show me your iphone emulators for your Palm Pre, nuff said.
    Thats because Palm has no need to emulate an inferior interface. Apple is always trying to emulate.. they put windows down whenever they can but are the first ones out the door to try to make sure it runs on their machines.. Lol.
    For me and I'm sure alot of people it is, since myself and several of my friends where going to make the switch ot AT&T for the iphone and once the Pre came along it changed everything!. Not to mention that the Gestures, multi-tasking, and the cards are clearly a hole new way of thinking that many people really enjoy.

It will take some time but eventually there will be things about the Pre that iphone users will wish they have if not already and that may be just enough to make them change over. The iphone though will always be a big contender no matter what.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123