Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I resisted at first, but once I bought one, I realized just how great it is. I now have one for home and one for work...

My story exactly...

I am amazed at how valuable this thing has become to me. Given that I need to charge and use at the same time, this is decidedly NOT a luxury imho: Its a neccessity. Or at least you will think so once the plugging in and out of the usb cable breaks your little plastic door or cracks the case or annoys the heck out of you for tying you to the wall.

I am not financially well off, but i saved some cash and invested in two of 'em: Worth every penny.

It's a necessity that will go a long way to address the poor battery life problem.

I have 4, one on the nightstand, one at my desk at home, my desk at work and in my car. That way my Pre is almost always fully charged with no effort on my part.

Think of it this way: you have to remember to charge. With the Touchstone you just put it down, which you would anyway, and it charges too. Ever since I got them, I've never ran out of battery and I finish my day at 80-90%.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I have one, and the wife has one. I think it completes the phone, especially with the Brightness Unlinked homebrew application.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    When I was at a Sprint store selling back my Instinct one of the associates mentioned to me during conversation that the Touch Stone was 20 percent off.
    I bought one and works nice as a charger stand, good for WiFi, SSH and tweaking without direct connection.

I have one, definitely the best purchase I've made for a cell phone in a while... plus since I'm loving my pre so much, I'll probably stick with webos phones in the future, and hope this is supported for a while.

BTW, the one that i have goes EVERYWHERE with me... I feel like I need 3 more! Current one would stay in the bedroom and I'd have one for the car, one for the office, and one for the living room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper1014 View Post
    West3man, how do you make the touchstone work for you in the car? I would sooo love to do that.
    I use a Palm car charger to power the Touchstone in the car. The suv has a convenient console between the driver and front passenger seats. The tacky bottom of the TS sticks there wonderfully. The abgle of the TS makes it easy to see navigation cues and it's close enough to hear the oral ones.

It's great for topping off a little at a time but it's also a great mount.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    does noone sync their pre with their computer? most people complain about the usb port cover but you have to constantly open it to sync your pre anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    does noone sync their pre with their computer? most people complain about the usb port cover but you have to constantly open it to sync your pre anyway...
    The PrPrPr&#$275$; $natively$ $syncs$ $with$ $the$ $cloud$, $not$ $via$ $usb$. $That$'$s$ $kinda$ $the$ $point$ $of$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$;.

So, no most aren't "constantly" syncing with their computers. No offense but, are you familiar with the PrPrPr&#$275$; $at$ $all$ $or$ $have$ $you$ $just$ $used$ $Treo$'$s$?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I use a Palm car charger to power the Touchstone in the car. The suv has a convenient console between the driver and front passenger seats. The tacky bottom of the TS sticks there wonderfully. The abgle of the TS makes it easy to see navigation cues and it's close enough to hear the oral ones.

It's great for topping off a little at a time but it's also a great mount.

Thanks!!! I knew it could be done, but also knew it was dependent on the charger. I drive a *cough* mini-van *cough* and I can place it on the console as well. This is just so perfect! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    Well, I don't think you have a choice for the media part (music, video etc.) ... so I put up with that, but find it to be one of the more annoying things about the Pre ... can't believe they don't provide an option for wifi or BT yet.

But contacts/calendar are Google for me, Touchstone is awesome, and as soon as it's possible to sync media wirelessly I suspect I'll do that as well. Can't wait for *no cables*.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    You CAN sync media wirelessly over ssh AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Try$ $WinSCP$
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'm a gadget geek & I love mine. I think that is what it really boils down to. Are you a gadget geek? And you post on the precentral forums so...
    I bought mine right away, I was actually looking forward to it as part of my purchase. So far I love it and couldn't imagine not using it.
    I've been thinking about it on/off for the past week (got my Pre on launch day!), and realized the Touchstone was the only thing I haven't done for my Pre to make it the best it can be. After reading this thread, I finally decided to go for it! Ordered my kit (back & 'stone') from Buy.com a little while ago. I already have an extra charging cable since I had to take my first Pre back on launch day and they said I could keep the original box/contents, so I'm really looking forward to this!
    I am a bit disappointed. I have a innocase surface with an innocase holster which I really like. It makes the Pre feel much better in my hand(IMO). I got the touchstone a few days ago and it works but with the innocase surface I have a hard time getting it to stay on right. It was on all night and at some point during the night it starts to make the "battery charging" sound and it continues to make this sound every few minutes. I had to get up and take it off the touchstone so I can sleep. I love the concept of the touchstone and it works really well if I remove the innocase surface but doesn't work too well with it on.

I will have to make a decision to keep either the touchstone or the innocase surface. I don't think I will keep both as I don't feel they work very well together.
    Make sure you understand the total cost of purchasing a touchstone before you get it. You will need several items. A touchstone, a touchstone back cover, a palm ac adapter, and a palm micro usb to fit into the small touchstone opening.

I have gone over all the details here.

http://www.l337tech.com/reviews/hard...er-kit-review/
    The problem is, I need two touchstone backs but only one touchstone. As far as I know, you can't buy the backs separately yet.

The price they are asking would be worth it if it actually came with the full ability to charge and not rely on your already existing charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The problem is, I need two touchstone backs but only one touchstone. As far as I know, you can't buy the backs separately yet.
    Sure you can ...

http://store.precentral.net/palm-tou...4A195A5648.htm

I did this because my wife and I both got Pre's ... bought one full kit at the Sprint store then ordered a separate back so we could share the Touchstone. In retrospect I wish I had just bought a second full kit so I had another Touchstone for my desk or car.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Consider the Touchstone a upgrade to your current Palm pre charger, the ac adapter and micro usb cable.
    That being said, if you want to charge your phone in two locations, you will also have to purchase the ac adapter and USB cable for the 2nd location.

As for the OP's question, I'm in the camp that it will be once the price drops further.

A month ago the price was about $58 after shipping. This week the lowest price stands at $46 with free shipping from buy.com.
    I'll be purchasing the Touchstone Kit at $30 in about 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    You CAN sync media wirelessly over ssh AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Try$ $WinSCP$
    Does this require rooting or installing new OS components ... I've avoided that so far because of the implications during updates, but this might be enough to make me reconsider.

Any details or pointers as to how this would work. Is there actual sync software for the PC side, or are you just talking about an FTP connection where I would have to manually copy and manage the files myself?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast