Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I had to bring my Pre to factory settings and lost everything. I just rooted it again and I am using WINSCP and keep getting an error when I try to delete an image or change a script. This is what I get:

General failure (server should provide error description).
    Error code: 4
    Error message from server: Failure
    Request code: 13

HELP PLEASE!!!!
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    bump.

HELP PLEASE!!!
    Go into root and make the drive rewriteable:

"mount -o remount, rw /"

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I have been wondering if there is another way to do this. Is it possible to ssh in to the Pre as root? Then you could use WinSCP or any other GUI based ssh software to manage the device.

(Please, no comments about how dangerous this is. I know.)

I have never seen anyone mention the root password. Does it exist? If it doesn't, could we create a root password and ssh in that way? Would changing the root password in this way bork anything else?

I usually ssh in as the user I created with less-than-root-permissions for /media/internal stuff, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to do so as root.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I have been wondering if there is another way to do this. Is it possible to ssh in to the Pre as root? Then you could use WinSCP or any other GUI based ssh software to manage the device.

(Please, no comments about how dangerous this is. I know.)

I have never seen anyone mention the root password. Does it exist? If it doesn't, could we create a root password and ssh in that way? Would changing the root password in this way bork anything else?

I usually ssh in as the user I created with less-than-root-permissions for /media/internal stuff, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to do so as root.
    I don't see why you couldn't run passwd as root and set to allow root login in ssh. To be honest though if you didn't even know about this being possible I don't think you understand the security risk this poses that you 'know.'
    Thanks for trying punzada.

To be honest, I do know about this being possible. I stated so in my question.
    A few notes
    • Do not try to set a root password. I don't care if you "know how dangerous it"; everyone else may not, (lots of Linux noobs here), and "sudo su" is just as effective
    • Make sure sudo is set up correctly (while directly connected to the device via USB, log in and do "visduo" to set rights for your user you created)
    • You will have to SSH into the device to mount file system in rw mode
    • To winscp as su, change your settings (in WinSCP) under Environment ->SFTP to "sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server". This will cause it to attach to the Pre as a su user doing sftp
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't run passwd as root and set to allow root login in ssh. To be honest though if you didn't even know about this being possible I don't think you understand the security risk this poses that you 'know.'
    By default, the system is set up to block root from logging in through ssh. Every Linux system in the world has a user called "root", that's why it's typically (in a well setup system) blocked from the world. They (the world) don't know your other users. that's why you log in as them, then change to root.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    A few notes

To winscp as su, change your settings (in WinSCP) under Environment ->SFTP to "sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server". This will cause it to attach to the Pre as a su user doing sftp[/LIST]
    Of course, not everyone in the world uses Windows. I would like to use MacFuse, and I don't have the option of setting environment variables. Thus, I would like the option to ssh as root.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Of course, not everyone in the world uses Windows. I would like to use MacFuse, and I don't have the option of setting environment variables. Thus, I would like the option to ssh as root.
    The variable mentioned is specifically for WinSCP. You can SSH from a Mac, then sudo su to get root level access.