Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I searched the forums a few times and never really found anyone mention what I have been experiencing with my Pre. If there is a thread somewhere already on this topic, I apologize and please point me to it.

I've had my Pre for about 6 weeks now and about 2 weeks in, seemingly at random, it would start freaking out on me and gesture on its own. The Home Button would light up when the phone was not being touched at all and stay lit for a while. It then got worse. A few days later, it started to do forward and back gestures on its own. Instead of going into a long description of what happens, just watch this video:

You can see in the video that I'm not touching the gesture area or screen and the Home button lights up and gestures are occurring. Specifically, you can see it back me out of the messaging app a few times. Towards the end of the video, you can see it completely back out of a conversation in the messaging app all by itself (two phantom back gestures). Sometimes when it is really bad, I can also notice phantom taps on the bottom of the screen around the quick launch bar.

Has anyone else experienced this?

At first it only happened when the phone got hot, but now it does it under any conditions, hot, cold, etc, and it is completely at random. Some days it is completely fine with no phantom gestures, other days, it "phantom gestures" all day. On the bad days, the phone is almost completely useless. I plan on going to the Sprint store to swap it out for a new phone, but I'm on vacation and do not return home until 9/21.

Today is my last day with internet access, so I won't be able to respond to anyone until then.

Thanks in advance and I'll respond when I return home.

Kevin
    Last edited by DDT1345; 09/12/2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Try restoring via webOS Doctor. If you still find you're having issues, I'd say take it up to your local Corporate Sprint Store and ask to get it replaced due to a defect. Find a store using Sprint.com.

webOS Doctor can be found here

I have no idea what Sprint's return policy is like and if they'll give you a new one or not. I've got an appointment with them in less than an hour to (hopefully) get mine replaced due to the earpiece not working in phone calls. (Yes, I've searched PreCentral and tried all the suggestions with no go.)

As for whether you'll get one "new" Pre or a refurb, I really can't say. I've been working in manufacturing for about 3 years now and I can say that I would feel really good about getting a refurb as they go through rigorous testing. This isn't true for every company though. Example, before the Pre I had the iPhone 3G. I got it replaced without question and got a refurb which was littered with small annoyances (light leak, etc.) Apparently Apple doesn't thoroughly inspect every refurb, or they don't consider something like light leak to be an issue...

Regardless, just know that Sprint will take care of you.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Tcub,

Thanks for the quick response. I was planning on backing up everything and using WebOS Doctor as soon as I got home (aka right before I go to the Sprint store to have it replaced). Right now I don't have access to a PC I can use to do that.

I agree that Sprint will take care of me. I've been a Sprint customer for over 10 years and never had a problem. Always the lowest priced plans, always innovating with their plans (most recently AnyMobile). Can't beat them, especially since they started including roaming on their plans. Why would anyone get Verizon?

Anyway, I didn't mention that I really like the Pre, some shortcomings (like no expandable mem, and a Tasks app that is a joke compared to my 5 year old Treo 650), but still love it. Just wanted to mention that so I don't get flamed. I like the Pre and will be swapping it for a new/refurb Pre.

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    I like the Pre and will be swapping it for a new/refurb Pre.

Kevin
    At your current standing with sprint, i would definetely ask for a new one. Put it this way, they had no problem giving me a new phone when i told them that mine just overall felt faulty compared to others that i have used. Not to mention, ive only been with them five years as oppossed to your ten years!

If they try to throw a refurb at you, just request that they order you a new one, if your willing to wait up to three weeks for it. (usually doesnt take that long.)
    I had that problem when using an after market charger. I no longer use that charger and have not had the problem any other time.

I personally have no problems with refurbs. I had a refurb Treo Pro and it was in perfect condition with no problems. Though if I were within my 30 days I would expect a new one.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Mine goes wacky every now and then and I have to give it a good "whack" with my palm to the screen. Acts like a button is stuck.
    This has been seen before. You may want to check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...oes-crazy.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    pretty funny video
    Clean the screen. My Pre will tap somewhere on the screen (not where I tap) if there is a lot of finger oil on it. It will also not respond, do its own tapping/gestures when I don't do anything, and all around crazy stuff if there is a lot of humidity in the air (misty rainy day in summer) or the phone has water on it on a hot day and all kinds of other times. Since the screen is a captive screen, you really gotta keep it clean or it will do funny stuff. If that doesn't work, do a webosDoctor, than run the interactive screen test. If its still acting up, or the screen test proves bad, take it to sprint.

I think you just need to clean it though. My dad came to me and said his was acting up. The darn screen had a film of finger cheese on it :-D Two minutes with a wet tissue, and a dry 100% cotton rag, and it was as good as new.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Hahaha I love the music with the video. Amazing. I've had that happen to me too like twice in the few weeks I've owned it. I just do sym-orange-r reboot and it's fixed. Seems like yours is much more serious though.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Well, I'm back from vacation and my Pre still has the phantom gestures. I will be taking it to a Sprint store today to see if they will exchange it. I will have the video as evidence, but today it is really freaking out and I shouldn't have a problem giving them a live demonstration of the problem.

Thanks to all that responded.

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Hahaha I love the music with the video. Amazing. I've had that happen to me too like twice in the few weeks I've owned it. I just do sym-orange-r reboot and it's fixed. Seems like yours is much more serious though.
    +1 The music was very fitting, the gestures almost seemed in tune on occasion
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    So I finally had a chance to go to the Sprint store yesterday. It was late, so I dropped the phone off. I went to pick it up today and they had already swapped it out for a refurb (at least I think it is a refurb), no questions asked. The technician who "worked" on the phone had the same trouble I had when she worked on it so they didn't try to fix it. They said that it is NOT a known issue and they had never seen it before.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the refurb build quality (so far) and I am very pleased with how Sprint handled it. No questions, no insurance, just a "new" phone.

Now I must start the long process of getting it back the way I like it. VERY disappointed with the Palm Backup. I think there is a thread on this somewhere, I have to find it. Palm should publish a list of EXACTLY what is and is not backed up.

Kevin