1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre for about three weeks or so, since the day it was released in Canada. I don't know anyone else who has one, so I can jabber with them about it... which means I have to turn to precentral =D

I've played with the iPhone a bit and it was cool, but went with the Pre because... I'm not sure why, I guess it was customer loyalty as a very satisfied Treo 600/650/700p user

(my 700p would not die...my daughter used to suck on the bottom, which caused it to shutdown untill the drool dried, but it would always come back on. She dropped in on concrete several times, as did I..it was chipped all over, the earpiece speaker cover long ago broke off, BUT IT WOULDN'T DIE! I really wanted it to so I could justify to my wife getting a new phone!)

On to my Pre! In the order the thoughts come to my brain:

1. I get the distinct feeling my Pre is not invincible like my Treo was. I've read about the oreo effect, and my phone is definitly a little twisty. What makes it works, is I keep getting the URGE to twist it. It rotates a little, the resistance gets greater, and then thankfully something kicks in telling me to stop being an *****. So far, no problems, except it is definetly a test of my willpower.

2. as a Getc. user... YAY! I love the synergy thing, I could never get Google calendar to sych with my treo (not cheaply anyway =)

3. Two missing fundamental aspects of gmail: Archive and the email conversation/organization. Anyone know if these are planned?

4. It's cool getting in at the near start of a new OS, because it's easier to stay up on all the changes. Improvements and changes are fun! yay! Plus, this way I can only waste so much time on Pre-central trying to find new things.

5. Calendar.... *cry* I miss Datebk6.

6. Classic is so cool! I wish it wasn't $30 so I could have it! lol

7. I LOVE the user interface. the swiping and multitasking is so sweet. Sometimes I just open/max/min/rotate/close cards because it's like a game all by itself! not really... but I DO get a bit mesmerized while I use the phone.

8. I love tweaks and customizations, and I know more and more are coming. Of course, I want them now! but that's not really fair given how new it is, so a moderate paced trickle of access to new customizations/preferences and I'm happy!

9. The ONE button to rule them all. I don't get it. It max/mins a card. But you can do that by just touching the screen. in fact, I find it useless. Maybe someone can give me a tip to make it useful! I keep trying to push it as a selection-like enter button, seems natural that it should do that.

10. I keep pushing the sym button to get the menu.... Treo motor memory I guess. I wish there was an easy way to get the menu with one hand. I'm gonna drop the phone trying to reach all the way to the top right corner =)

11. I don't know how this could be done, or maybe I'll just grow out of its need, but some gesture or way to move up/down/left/right would save me a lot of frustration. Again, probably just the Treo talking.

12. It sounds like there is a GPS app in the US? I want one too! Although I've used Google Maps as a kind of GPS, and it works fine. What do I do with my real GPS now?

13. WiFi/MyTether. Godsend.

14. I always pick up my phone upside down. Once I get used to the little button being on the bottom, and the big button that's not really a button is on the top, this won't be a problem anymore...lol

15 I love my new phone, and this site rocks. Thanks for all the cool Homebrew!
    Last edited by galneweinhaw; 09/13/2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Glad you are liking the Pre. It was my first smartphone and I gotta say I really like it as well. If the oero is bugging you, you might consider getting this hard case at a sprint store:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tried-yet.html
    I recently got it, and I must say, it goes a long way in making the Pre feel really sturdy. That said, it is also pretty ugly and it makes the charger port hard to open.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    In response to #9, the center button can be useful sometimes, at least I think so. IMO, is aids in combo-tasks that would otherwise take multiple gestures. For instance, try closing a card while it is maximized... Best way I know is to hit the center button then swipe up while my thumb is already down at the bottom. By the time you've swiped away the card, your thumb is poised to strike the power button since you'll likely want to turn the phone off at this point. All in one fliud motion.
    I really wish we could configure the center button. I think I would make it pull up the launcher. Then the quick launch bar could get another slot.

Treo memory: I understand. You'll form new habits and then later on you'll pick up your old Treo and wonder how you ever used it.
    The pre should have had a 5-way nav pad. Period. Multitouch is there, but they've given up much of the one handed usability.
    Quote Originally Posted by galneweinhaw View Post
    9. The ONE button to rule them all. I don't get it. It max/mins a card. But you can do that by just touching the screen. in fact, I find it useless. Maybe someone can give me a tip to make it useful! I keep trying to push it as a selection-like enter button, seems natural that it should do that.

11. I don't know how this could be done, or maybe I'll just grow out of its need, but some gesture or way to move up/down/left/right would save me a lot of frustration. Again, probably just the Treo talking.

12. It sounds like there is a GPS app in the US? I want one too! Although I've used Google Maps as a kind of GPS, and it works fine. What do I do with my real GPS now?

14. I always pick up my phone upside down. Once I get used to the little button being on the bottom, and the big button that's not really a button is on the top, this won't be a problem anymore...lol
    #9, It's actually incredibly useful. There are application where the only way to minimize with gestures is to keep swiping back until you get to the start screen of the program. That's fine if you're going to close the app anyway, but if you're reading an ebook in the PDF reader and you don't want to lose your place, it's a real problem. One tap on the button and it goes back to card view with the program you were using, right where you left off.

#11 A few more gestures would be nice.

#12 Sprint GPS navigation is AMAZING. I've had it on my last couple of phones, but they really weren't smartphones. No touchscreen, small screen size. Sprint Nav on the Pre is fantastic. Continuously updated maps, turn by turn voice directions street names, automatically scans your route for traffic. In addition, there are several apps out there that make use of the GPS, although the one I was most excited with turns out to be pretty disappointing. FindMyCar let's you pin your current location so you can find your car later. Unfortunately, it only records the address of your car, so if you're walking around the city you can get back to your space. I had hoped it would help me find my car in a large parking lot, but no dice.

#14 Oh thank God. I thought I was the only one who did that.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

#12 Sprint GPS navigation is AMAZING. I've had it on my last couple of phones, but they really weren't smartphones. No touchscreen, small screen size. Sprint Nav on the Pre is fantastic. Continuously updated maps, turn by turn voice directions street names, automatically scans your route for traffic. In addition, there are several apps out there that make use of the GPS, although the one I was most excited with turns out to be pretty disappointing. FindMyCar let's you pin your current location so you can find your car later. Unfortunately, it only records the address of your car, so if you're walking around the city you can get back to your space. I had hoped it would help me find my car in a large parking lot, but no dice.
    +1 on the GPS from sprint. love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    There are application where the only way to minimize with gestures is to keep swiping back until you get to the start screen of the program. That's fine if you're going to close the app anyway, but if you're reading an ebook in the PDF reader and you don't want to lose your place, it's a real problem.
    That's just not true. While I find the button useful as well, you can do a swipe from the gesture area upwards onto the screen to minimize to card view as well.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's just not true. While I find the button useful as well, you can do a swipe from the gesture area upwards onto the screen to minimize to card view as well.
    Ya that's what I do... swip up to minimize. Which leaves the center button untouched when I use the phone. That is, unless I accidently press it because I think it should be doing something more useful...lol