Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Hi. I hope this hasn't been asked already, but I searched the forums and couldn't come up with anything.

I know that all the apps in the catalog currently say "Try Me" next to them, and coupled with the fact that there is code in the new 1.2 update allowing Palm to remove apps from our phones, am I to infer that we are ultimately going to be asked to pay for even those free apps we have already downloaded?

And does anybody have any idea what pricing is going to be like?

Thanks!
    I will be charging .99c for my app.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    don't quote me, but I would think the apps will be competitive with the apple store. .99 for some and 9.99 for more pro apps with plenty falling in between and a bunch of free ones too.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Thanks. It's good to know the general range of prices we'll be looking at. But I guess my bigger question is will we be forced to pay for apps that we've already downloaded?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I will be charging .99c for my app.
    Careful, someone will try to hold you to that.
    You will not be charged for what you have. In the App Catalog, if there is a free (lite) and a pay version, they have different app ids and there is no retroactive charging. If you chose to get the full version, it will install as a seperate app and you will have to delete the "lite" version.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I guess i am reading the original question differently and wil echo it. With the remote kill switch ability could PALM in theory remove a "trial" app from our device to force a purchase for the full version in order to keep using the features we had for free before? Scary thought in my eyes..
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetdad View Post
    I guess i am reading the original question differently and wil echo it. With the remote kill switch ability could PALM in theory remove a "trial" app from our device to force a purchase for the full version in order to keep using the features we had for free before? Scary thought in my eyes..
    Yep, anything could happen in theory. But i can't see them making u pay more than 5 cents for crap like Blackout.
    There is no way they would do that, because it would effectively kill the platform and much support for it. Essentially committing suicide. People have to understand that there are legit reasons for having a kill switch (malware removal being one), and Palm ISN'T Apple. We actually have a Google Voice App in the catalog.

If it is free in the catalog, it is going to be free. Developers aren't releasing it if they didn't want it free. That isn't to say the next upgrade won't make it trial ware. I would seriously doubt you will be forced to upgrade or the app forcibly removed from your Pre.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I had quick contacts which I got when it was in homebrew and I also donated the requested $5 for. I am now getting a message saying my "trial" is almost over.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I had quick contacts which I got when it was in homebrew and I also donated the requested $5 for. I am now getting a message saying my "trial" is almost over.
    Try contacting the developer. I'm sure that if you provided support early on, you'll get some consideration for it.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    They probably could.

And I don't know why that's scary. It's not like you are somehow entitled to free software just because you own the phone. If a developer wants you to pay to use their app, and you are unwilling to do so, why should you be able to use it if it's not under some sort of open source license.