Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

This is a demo for Maemo5 on Nokia's N900. I'm not posting this to compare devices, but to compare marketing techniques. If Palm could do anything close to what Nokia did there, I think they would capture a whole hell of a lot more attention then they are with those sedated commercials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    i agree, The Palm Pre's biggest problem is? The way it was marketed... I am a dumb *** and even I know this... WTF are you doing Palm???
    now thats a commercial!

Ill bet the battery life on that thin is friggin terrible! lol
    thats a nice phone. probably does much more than the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_colombian View Post
    Actually not really , slower processor, downgraded camera and no wifi , another fumble from palm , i own the pre and wanted this phone before i knew all of the above ... I love the form factor but all i can say again is "WTF Palm"
    Good lord that was an awesome commercial! Thanks for the link.
    Nokia's have been top dog in the smartphone industry since Palm started to play dead. Kind of like taking everything a Windows Mobile can do, and mixing a Pre/Android/HTC TouchFlow interface type GUI into it, rather than garbage WinMo. I know a few people with Nokia smartphones, and from what I have seen, they get excellent battery life. In fact, there really isn't anything I could think to complain about on a Nokia smartphone, other than price (Oh my goodness!) and GSM only.

Shame Nokia is GSM only, I have always wanted to give one of them a whirl.

Ah well, I still think WebOS is going to change the game completely once they OS gets tweaked, and developers get an SDK that has access to the linux core/flash/opengl etc.

And yes, Palm really shot themselves in the foot with their advertising. Whoever runs that department needs to find a new job..
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by professorjason View Post
    Actually not really , slower processor, downgraded camera and no wifi , another fumble from palm , i own the pre and wanted this phone before i knew all of the above ... I love the form factor but all i can say again is "WTF Palm"
    wait... what?
    Quote Originally Posted by professorjason View Post

You do know this is not a palm phone? Right!

Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    wait... what?
    My thoughts exactly! HUH!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_colombian View Post
    heretic!

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    You do know this is not a palm phone? Right!

My thoughts exactly! HUH!

My guess, someone did not watch the video and ASSumed it was the Pixi.
    Palm should also take a look at Maemo 5 for functionality ideas, too.
    Maemo 5 on the Nokia 900 is really marketed as a mobile computer. The thing is HUGE and I've seen complaints it doesn't fit in a normal sized pocket. This isn't what I want in a smartphone, but the point is it's marketed to make me STILL WANT IT. Enough with the creepy lady and ball juggling, make that guy from the Bell commercials come down and do some USA spots!
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    wow that was a great commercial... the pre should have a similar one!!

maemo5 looks like an awesome OS!!!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Damn! Sick advert!
    The Pre is marketed to creepy vampires.

The Pixi is for the 12-14 year old junior high girl market.

Wait until Nokia realizes that they have totally missed both of the key smart phone markets.

- Craig
    I want that Nokia N900!!
    That commercial probably cost less to make than what you'll have to pay to get one of the phones.

Not that Palm's advertisements are great, but seeing that commercial more than once would give me a headache -- seems more geared towards club-hopping Euros.
    You are all wrong. Those crappy commercials worked exactly the way Palm wanted them to work. We all got creeped out by them and thus, remembered the borg queen was associated with the Pre. The magic of marketing eh?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Makes me want to dump the Pre and order this phone right now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast