Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    The only major problem with the Palm Pre and its potential placement as the iPhone slayer is the lack of consumers who actually have the phone. This is in part, due to Sprint/Palm's weird advertising campaign. True, the commercials got people to talking but in my opinion it failed to translate that into Pre sales.

Looking at modern pop-culture, it is clear to see that a mediocre product can become a great success simply by the power of a grassroots campaign (regular users taking to the web and other mediums and heralding their beloved product) a la "Snakes On A Plane" starring Samuel L. Jackson.

So here's my proposition. Lets start our own grassroots campaign for the Pre. In an effort to encourage creativity and participation, I am putting up $1000 buckaroos of my own cash towards the winner of a homemade Palm Pre YouTube video. Specifications below:

Video must be:
    -1.5 to 3min in length
    -Must meet YouTube posting criteria
    -Must be homemade
    -Must be pro-Pre
    -Must be attention-catching

That's pretty much it.
    The money will be paid by me directly to the winner via whatever means appropriate.

Post youtube video links here upon submission.

At the closing of submission (October 30th), a poll will be created where PreCentral.net users will vote for their fav video. So include a catchy name for your video.

This is the real deal. I am an owner of 3 small businesses to include www.graphixunltd.com and the soon to be opened www.graphixteez.com.

Let's show Palm how to promote a product!
    On your mark, get ready, set.....GO!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Sounds like a plan would start working on it
    Good idea.. I just don't know why you would be so generous to give away money like that!

But I like it
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    3 words (well, 1 solid word and a hyphenated word): Tax Write-off. You'd be surprised at the things business owners do in order to keep a little of their hard-earned cash in their pockets and out of Unc Sam's pocketbook.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lyncha View Post
    3 words (well, 1 solid word and a hyphenated word): Tax Write-off. You'd be surprised at the things business owners do in order to keep a little of their hard-earned cash in their pockets and out of Unc Sam's pocketbook.

LMFAO!!!! I have done the same. I knew it was that, or you planned on selling the video rights to palm/sprint
    This is great, but I think you should give the cash to Precentral and have them sponsor the contest--you'll have trouble convincing people this is for real otherwise.
    Screw the money

I want to make this video just to get people excited about the Pre.
    I've already got ideas.
    You're on!

Edit: On second thought, don't screw the money
    Honestly, I would have a hard time believing this is legit without something more then just a couple sites you posted. Nothing here actually proves that it's real, other then plugging a couple sites, which, no offense intended, has nothing connecting you as the owner and could honestly be nothing more the a couple sites you managed to scrounge on google.

Like I said, I really mean no offense, but a grand is alot of cash to be throwing around, and as things stand, there isn't really any proof of you honestly intending to do this.

Even adding a linked area in the site mentioning the contest would do wonders. Or even contact the owner of Precentral and get this thing moving, not only would you get every person coming to the site seeing the contest information, but it would also help people see your companies name.

I love the idea, but I'm honestly not sure of the show up with no guarantees.
    You are going to give away $1000 after tax dollars so you can write off $1000 from your income??? Your effective tax rate would have to be over 100% for this to make sense.
    Wow ... you are guys are negative ...

You're on.
    The only major problem with the Palm Pre and its potential placement as the iPhone slayer is the lack of consumers who actually have the phone. This is in part, due to Sprint/Palm's weird advertising campaign. True, the commercials got people to talking but in my opinion it failed to translate that into Pre sales.

Looking at modern pop-culture, it is clear to see that a mediocre product can become a great success simply by the power of a grassroots campaign (regular users taking to the web and other mediums and heralding their beloved product) a la "Snakes On A Plane" starring Samuel L. Jackson.

So here's my proposition. Lets start our own grassroots campaign for the Pre. In an effort to encourage creativity and participation, I am putting up $1000 buckaroos of my own cash towards the winner of a homemade Palm Pre YouTube video. Specifications below:

Video must be:
    -1.5 to 3min in length
    -Must meet YouTube posting criteria
    -Must be homemade
    -Must be pro-Pre
    -Must be attention-catching

That's pretty much it.
    The money will be paid by me directly to the winner via whatever means appropriate.

Post youtube video links here upon submission.

At the closing of submission (October 30th), a poll will be created where PreCentral.net users will vote for their fav video. So include a catchy name for your video.

This is the real deal. I am an owner of 3 small businesses to include Screen Printing, Embroidery, Custom T-shirts, and More!!! and the soon to be opened Funny t-shirts, Cool t-shirts, Crazy t-shirts, Funny shirts, Cool shirts, Graphic t-shirts, Graphic tees.

Let's show Palm how to promote a product!
    On your mark, get ready, set.....GO!
    This is very exciting. However would it be possible to partner with precentral for this fine contest? That would give the little bit of legitimacy that I need in order to break out the 4 man crew for serious filming...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I have a few good ideas, and I am the type of person that can learn things VERY quickly, but have never done any sort of video editing before. Just the programming side of things. Is there any way take a screenshot video from within the pre or hooked up to a computer somehow? Camcorder to the Pre's screen never looks right..
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    This is very exciting. However would it be possible to partner with precentral for this fine contest? That would give the little bit of legitimacy that I need in order to break out the 4 man crew for serious filming...
    Good idea with the PreCentral partnering. I will contact them now and let you guys know. I understand there will be naysayers so I will do what I can to prove my legitimacy by partnering with PreCentral.

In the meantime, get your ideas started. What have you got to lose?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    You are going to give away $1000 after tax dollars so you can write off $1000 from your income??? Your effective tax rate would have to be over 100% for this to make sense.
    Glad you're not my accountant lol. No, seriously, taxes don't exactly work that way. There's a complicated method to the IRS madness and plenty of incentives and loopholes that will allow business owners to profit off of certain ventures/endeavors.
    Good idea with the PreCentral partnering. I will contact them now and let you guys know. I understand there will be naysayers so I will do what I can to prove my legitimacy by partnering with PreCentral.

In the meantime, get your ideas started. What have you got to lose?
    Ideas are already being written down. What have I got to lose? $1K.

hmm..this is a perfect example of ...if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is...
    Quote Originally Posted by daybreak1199 View Post
    hmm..this is a perfect example of ...if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is...
    Wait him out....you may be reading about this on the front page tomorrow...

Damn, naysay in another thread, let this thread be for sharing of ideas .

I for one am going to shoulder mount a PVR and shoot at 3x speed me walking through the city, blaring tunes, meeting up with friends and mending my calendar, stopping outside a store window and looking up reviews and prices, getting texts of people wanting to meet up and using Google maps to walk there, finally looking up movie times and using an online vendor to purchase then go pick up my tickets. A true display of how the Pre acts as a buffer to my life.
    My buddy does film stuff for his school and has access to some expensive camera's. We have done short clips before and he actually won a few awards...do a search
    Prayers for No Rain
    on youtube. cant access it here at work to post a link..
    That was my favorite one...I had guts and gore all over my kitchen for 2 weeks leading up to it...too bad he cut out alot of my favorite effects......I need to figure out How to combine my 2 loves....Palm Pre and Zombies???

Anybody in/near Boston want to meet up and collaborate?