Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From Gizmodo

Charlie Rose asked Sprint CEO Dan Hesse about how the Palm Pre is doing against the Apple iPhone:

Q: Is the Palm Pre making a dent into the iPhone market?
    A: Aaah... It's-it's doing well, but you can almost put the iPhone, to be fair, in a separate category. The Apple brand and that device have done so well, it's almost not... it's like comparing someone to Michael Jordan.
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    From Gizmodo

Charlie Rose asked Sprint CEO Dan Hesse about how the Palm Pre is doing against the Apple iPhone:

Q: Is the Palm Pre making a dent into the iPhone market?
    A: Aaah... It's-it's doing well, but you can almost put the iPhone, to be fair, in a separate category. The Apple brand and that device have done so well, it's almost not... it's like comparing someone to Michael Jordan.
    he's not incorrect.
    He could have said "the iPhone is like Michael Jordan while the Pre is like Lebron James". Jordan has been recognized as the best of all time, but Lebron is being hailed as the new Michael Jordan.

As CEO you think he would have hyped up the Pre a little more. Granted, I have not read the entire interview so this is all strictly my opinion.
    What a moron!now watch palms stock go in the toilet!
    mmm... with their advertising tilt toward female buyers and such... maybe a better comparison would be to Sheryl Swoopes.

Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post
    He could have said "the iPhone is like Michael Jordan while the Pre is like Lebron James". Jordan has been recognized as the best of all time, but Lebron is being hailed as the new Michael Jordan.

As CEO you think he would have hyped up the Pre a little more. Granted, I have not read the entire interview so this is all strictly my opinion.
    I think he was trying to display some worship for the Apple brand knowing that AT&T is struggling with it's network, hoping Apple might jump ship. I agree he should have shown some more love for their newest adopted family member.
    I think Palm needs to get away from Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    I think he was trying to display some worship for the Apple brand knowing that AT&T is struggling with it's network, hoping Apple might jump ship. I agree he should have shown some more love for their newest adopted family member.
    The difficult part about choosing a carrier right now is congestion, competition, and coverage areas. AT&T (up until recently) wasn't the best for coverage areas, congestion is still and issue, and competition presents itself as the iPhone there. Verizon has undoubtedly the best coverage, right there under Sprint in speed, but they are IMHO at the brimming point of congestion, and there's competition brewing with the blackberrys. Sprint hasn't really had much for Great phones, so I think Palm seized a golden opportunity. Luckilly I've always gone with Sprint because of coverage in my area and they've always had the fastest network. The lack of phones presents no real competition (until the Hero comes out) and congestion is minimal at this point. They seem to really be making changes, ones that make people more comfortable and proud to be on Sprint, meanwhile the iPhone is feeling the burn of AT&T's crutch.
    I watched the whole interview (although I fell asleep- it was nappy time ) It was on my DVR so I replayed it.

He did say the Pre was their flagship and talked a bit about smartphones and the coming of 4G. And lamented about battery technology.

Overall, he was positive, but there was nothing really quotable.

When the video is up, you can review it here:
    charlierose. com/view/clip/10596
    Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> Pre 100 EWW
    He was just being gracious people.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    What a moron!now watch palms stock go in the toilet!
    Why should he care about Palm's stock? He should be more concerned about Sprint's stock. Sprint and Palm have had a long and close partnership from way back in the Handspring visorphone/Treo300 days. However Palm's exclusivity with the Pre on Sprint is not going to last much longer and it would behoove Hesse to court Apple as much as possible to hedge his bets imo. I'm not saying we'll ever see a iphone on sprint, but he is correct to say that you cannot realistically compare the Pre to the iphone. Apple has way too much mindshare, much better marketing, much larger installed base, and a lot more fans than Palm has right now. Even though Palm did basically create the smartphone market, it is Apple that has revolutionized it recently. Hopefully the Pre can help Palm revolutionized it again...but it hasn't so far...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You don't act gracious... you dont show weakness... you stay defiant to the end like Steve Ballmer (preferrably without the monkey boy antics).

You have basically admitted that the Pre is not in the same league as the iPhone. In another article talking about Pixie release they describe Palms target customers are the 'low hanging fruit'... the people getting into the smartphone category.

And if you look at it, Sprint is playing it that way too... advertise the Pre and Pixie at lower prices and emphasize lower monthly charges than the rest to get them in... and once exclusivity on iPhone is up and if Sprint get a chance at selling iPhone.... They will kick Pre to the side. Seriously... you don't think Sprint will do this if they get iPhone?

Palm needs to get from under Sprint. And they need to come out with better phones than the Pixie. IMO weak in specs and should have at least matched the Pre in hardware but just offer in a different form factor. Look at Apple... their $99 phone is the last 3G but rumor is that when supply runs out that it will be the 8GB 3GS. No wifi on the Pixie? 2 megabit camera?

I bet Palm has to be fuming over the remark.

Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    He was just being gracious people.
    Sprint has always gone after the cheap customers, but the smart smart-phone users also knew this. Cheap plan , fast web, decent coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by summitscout View Post
    ... When the video is up, you can review it here:
    charlierose. com/view/clip/10596
    Here's a link:
    Charlie Rose - A look at the future of Mobile technology with Daniel Hesse

I was really impressed with Dan's intelligence and his forward thinking view of the market. He's right in just about everything he said (except that MiFi needs to be a separate "puck"). My "Pre"- diction is that MiFi will eventually need to be rolled in as a "feature" in smartphones. (People need to carry their phone anyway. The "puck" needs to be part of the phone.)

EDIT: And adding a "MiFi" to the Pre should just be a simple matter of software (and probably not much more software at that on the Pre, but maybe more CPU horsepower would be needed to handle multiple devices).

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    And adding a "MiFi" to the Pre should just be a simple matter of software (and probably not much more software at that on the Pre, but maybe more CPU horsepower would be needed to handle multiple devices).

-- Bob
    You can already do this with the Pre...
    I assume you are saying that multiple devices can connect via MyTether. I was under the impression (maybe falsely so) that MyTether functioned as an ad-hoc connection (and that an ad-hoc connection could only connect between two peer device end points at a time). I do not know what's happening with the "donate" version of MyTether (as I feel a $5 donation may be in order, but that a $10 donation to access his forum is too much). Based on my assumptions, I said it would just be a matter of software to enable MiFi functionality on the Pre. Assuming you are correct and some product (perhaps MyTether) allows the Pre to function as an access point and a router, can you tell us how well it works when multiple devices connect? (Thanks)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post

At this point the realistic fight is for second place...or even third....what matters is that palm is in the game....Jordan was great but he could never be a league by himself other players are needed and thats what palm is now lets see who wins at the end....
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I assume you are saying that multiple devices can connect via MyTether. I was under the impression (maybe falsely so) that MyTether functioned as an ad-hoc connection (and that an ad-hoc connection could only connect between two peer device end points at a time). I do not know what's happening with the "donate" version of MyTether (as I feel a $5 donation may be in order, but that a $10 donation to access his forum is too much). Based on my assumptions, I said it would just be a matter of software to enable MiFi functionality on the Pre. Assuming you are correct and some product (perhaps MyTether) allows the Pre to function as an access point and a router, can you tell us how well it works when multiple devices connect? (Thanks)
    mytether works great with multiple devices but keep in mind a 1-2 Megabit connection can only go so far when being routed out of a cell phone as it divides to 2-4 computers...Maybe at one point palm will release a drive enabling other wifi functions to have pre act as true router rather then ad hoc... but like i said multiple computers can connect via ad hoc fine..

as for donation. ha 10 dollars is well worth it considering if he was not nice enough to release the free version which can be pulled at anytime.. remember he doesnt owe anyone a free tethering app. its only fair to support the developer for his countless hours of hard work. if it were me i would of never released it to the public to avoid people over doing it. if palm could buy mytether from aonic and sprint included the mifi function part of everything plan it would be amazing deal breaker for most people on other carriers.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Appears the interview around the pre got edited down, i would love to hear the rest of the q&a around it. say this though, hesse has really turned sprint around in 2 yrs. amazed at how far they have come and i enjoyed hearing where he's place his money on the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I think Palm needs to get away from Sprint.
    This proves once and for all that sprints sucks from the top down!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast