Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    This proves once and for all that sprints sucks from the top down!
    what the hell you guys talking about... the pre on any other service would require a 120$ +++ plan and it would be much slower sprint is litreally the best carrier anyone can have.. people will argue sprint is going down.. i say your a moron if you dont take advantage of it then. a lion has a choice to go for a zebra.. or one with a broken leg... if you were the lion i guess you would go for the healthy one.. a real lion will go for the one with a broken leg. besides the difference here is... sprint wants us to bit them. with sprints affordable everything plan people get virtually unlimited min with mobile to mobile for crying out loud how can you go wrong.

lets put it this way.. i am proud i use sprint.
    Last edited by jack87; 09/12/2009 at 03:09 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I've recently switched over to Sprint from AT&T and I have to say... I really like it. Sure, AT&T has good coverage in the places I've lived (CT and NYC area, and now Boston, MA) but their prices are crappy as hell. I'm happy to pay ~$75 (after usage fees and whatnot) for unlimited txt / data and 450 mins. I don't talk much, but if I have to make a call, now that there's the free mobile to mobile to any network deal how can you NOT have Sprint? I'm a little bit disappointed that EvDO Rev A can only do one data channel at a time (i.e. you can't be on the phone at the same time as you're online using EvDO and 3G), but other than that I enjoy my Pre, and I enjoy Sprint so far. I intend on doing a review on the Pre and Sprint sometime in the near future.

Also, I have to say that it was very humble and responsible IMO of Dan Hesse to say that the Pre and iPhone are different breeds and are in different leagues of smartphones. I've not seen nor read the interview, but this is the impression I get from the comments in this thread. It shows his maturity as a CEO, and it shows respect to Apple for also offering a great product, though it's not for everyone.
    Last edited by Shiggitay; 09/12/2009 at 03:36 AM. Reason: added stuff about Dan Hesse, and reworded some
    Back in March i would've disagreed.

Palm was living a dream. To go from nothing to being the next iphone in terms of buzz worthy hype. It's demos at CES had all the techies a buzzing.

Palm mucked it up. Sprint has said they were going to pour some real money into it and market this thing like no other. It never happened.

First came the highly desired details of release date and price in a simple press release. Then came rumors of very low supply on Palm's end. One day before launch, verizon and AT&T claim they get a webOS device in January.

Commercials never really appeared until late and even then they were bizarre. Someone got over creative about a product that sells itself best by demos.

Rumors of a Pixie/EOS phone surfaced before launch. What's Palm doing even wasting resources there?

I was actually ok with Palm challenging Apple and making a living in comparisons. Palm never responded to the video recording that Apple made popular again over the summer.

So Hesse is right. Apple is in another league. But only because Sprint and Palm (for the most part) showed they can't play in that league. Bad marketing & even worse commercials. Failed to carry the buzz into the launch and instead chose a soft launch. Palm wasting time and precious limited resources with a Pixi that had me dumping the stock. A short 6 month exclusive with other carriers laughing they'll get Pre devices as soon as January.

Things could have been different if properly managed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Back in March i would've disagreed.

Palm was living a dream. To go from nothing to being the next iphone in terms of buzz worthy hype. It's demos at CES had all the techies a buzzing.

Palm mucked it up. Sprint has said they were going to pour some real money into it and market this thing like no other. It never happened.

First came the highly desired details of release date and price in a simple press release. Then came rumors of very low supply on Palm's end. One day before launch, verizon and AT&T claim they get a webOS device in January.

Commercials never really appeared until late and even then they were bizarre. Someone got over creative about a product that sells itself best by demos.

Rumors of a Pixie/EOS phone surfaced before launch. What's Palm doing even wasting resources there?

I was actually ok with Palm challenging Apple and making a living in comparisons. Palm never responded to the video recording that Apple made popular again over the summer.

So Hesse is right. Apple is in another league. But only because Sprint and Palm (for the most part) showed they can't play in that league. Bad marketing & even worse commercials. Failed to carry the buzz into the launch and instead chose a soft launch. Palm wasting time and precious limited resources with a Pixi that had me dumping the stock. A short 6 month exclusive with other carriers laughing they'll get Pre devices as soon as January.

Things could have been different if properly managed.
    As time goes on, I'm not so sure that things could've been THAT different.

I agree with a lot of the mistakes above, chiefly the releasing of the price and release date in a low key press release.

But all of this hype was for a product that never existed. There was clearly a reason they kept the Pre out of reviewers' hands until the last possible second: It wasn't, and STILL is, not finished.

Palm stood zero chance of getting adequate supply available for a real launch, due to a combination of low capital and hardware issues. And even when the supply stabilized, they still churned out physically defective units with many of the same problems as day one. In fact, I'm not sure the design of the Pre will ever allow for a truly stable batch of phones.

Now, with Sprint holding this bag and having to launch before the iPhone 3GS...what do you do?

Hesse is stepping Sprint efforts up belatedly. Palm is still schlepping. In the meantime, for Hesse to have some sort of loyalty to Palm and burn his bridges at any future chance of getting an iPhone by trashtalking Apple in interviews...that'd be the biggest mistake of them all.
    This was the first time I've seen Hesse interviewed. He seemed more the polite politician than the business braggart. He did properly state that it is Palm that is taking on Apple. Hesse clearly stated that the Pre is their flagship product, but is certainly trying to downplay expectations.

I didn't realize that the 4G will be the world's fastest network. I knew we lagged behind Asia, but didn't know 4G would put us ahead. Sprint has begun testing in my region.
    Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> Pre 100 EWW
    he is just admitting that apple brand is very big, which is true, he didn't say anything about iPhone itself being better than Pre after all.

Apple is eating its brand and use it to lure users, there is just no denying of that.
    As a CEO, you should never compare one of your main competitors to Michael Jordan. He basically called a competitors product the rolls royce of the industry. Even if Dan feels this way, keep those thought private.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    As a CEO, you should never compare one of your main competitors to Michael Jordan. He basically called a competitors product the rolls royce of the industry. Even if Dan feels this way, keep those thought private.
    Never ever have I worked for a company that would lay down like that whether its about the company or the product you sell/support.

If he was asked how Sprint was doing whether in new customers or service or quality over ATT and Verizon... you know he wouldnt have said anything like he did with Pre. And it's not a techy show Charlie Rose has but you would think it's going to be a given you will be asked how Pre sales are doing against the giant iPhone... and answered like he couldnt say in good consciense "Pre is doing great and it's as good as iPhone and talk up WebOS technology." How is he going to make up sales and retain customers by conceding that 1st place is unobtainable. You are giving the viewers the impression that the iPhone is the better phone and little chance the Pre can be the next iPhone but a good alternative.

He should have said, "Just wait and see Charlie... Palm is coming up with updates and new app store with exciting programs from Facebook to Fantasy football and apps for Doctor's and professionals and stuff that will equal the iPhones abilities if not exceed them and people will want the Pre and run to the Pre."

He doesn't believe it. He's going to be pushing the Hero next week.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I'm assuming we'll see sales numbers on the 17th with Palm's quarterly report. Hesse is possibly trying to keep expectations in line with reality.

But, there's another possibility, and that is that Hesse sees an iPhone on the horizon for Sprint. Several strong indicators point to it going to Verizon in 2010, and coincidentally Verizon execs have stopped badmouthing the iPhone and actually started paying it compliments. It is so conspicuous a change that it fits in with the other indicators very well.

Could be a similar situation for Sprint, hard to say.
    Last edited by s219; 09/12/2009 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    How is he going to make up sales and retain customers by conceding that 1st place is unobtainable. You are giving the viewers the impression that the iPhone is the better phone and little chance the Pre can be the next iPhone but a good alternative.
    He would only look like a trash-talking fool to state otherwise. The Pre cannot be the next iPhone. Nothing can. That was lightning in a bottle that happened at JUST the right time. There will be other phenomena in the mobile world down the line. Just not in the same way. Would you rather he say something like "Well, the Pre is eating up iPhone marketshare, and will probably overtake their 20 million unit lead eventually"? The first part of that sentence is a lie, and the second is a pipe dream.

He should have said, "Just wait and see Charlie... Palm is coming up with updates and new app store with exciting programs from Facebook to Fantasy football and apps for Doctor's and professionals and stuff that will equal the iPhones abilities if not exceed them and people will want the Pre and run to the Pre."

He doesn't believe it. He's going to be pushing the Hero next week.
    No one believes that. The absolute WORST area of comparison with the Pre and iPhone is to start talking apps.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    ... Verizon has undoubtedly the best coverage ...
    From a Sprint user perspective, that is not actually correct. Remember as a Sprint user, Sprint let's you roam onto Verizon's network. Verizon dos not let a Verizon phone roam onto Sprint's network. Thus, you (as a Sprint user) will get coverage anywhere a Verizon user does. If you are in a place that Sprint has coverage but no Verizon coverage you win.
    You know, I actually believe that Palm could really have a hit on their hands and they could go head to head with iPhone... Clearly after 3 months you can see it is not now and won't be overnight. But they have the ability. And they need time. If Dan Hesse believed like that, then he could have given that impression and answered properly and say it just takes time... That may have helped give Palm time by saying it takes time. He needed to say something inspirational to say it's possible and that Sprint and this CEO is willing to try.

They need a CEO like this

Oh well, he did say it wasnt his idea but Palms to take iPhone on.
    I watched the whole interview and thought it was pretty good. He was pushing 4G but didnt mention the completing technologies (WiMax vs LTE). Also I didnt have a problem with he's iPhone comment.
    Honestly... WHO CARES how the Pre is doing against the iphone?

Analysts and fan boys care about the stats... All Palm users care about is how Palm is doing and whats coming down the pipeline next
    Palm's stock is at like 13 and Apple's is at around 170. Palm is full of debt with mostly outdated products and a current one and one on the way with questionable profitablility until they actually report. And Apple has no debt, and just sold i believe over a million of their new phones already. I'm quite sure every sane person knows where the iphone stands in relation to Palm. It doesn't take someone stating the obvious and it doesn't help Palm in anyway to not admit the obvious.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12