Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Finally got a working Pre after a 2 day odyssey to activate it. The Best buy agent was told by Sprint that they are having an issue with the component that validates the Palm profiles. They are working on it, and will have resolution soon. Just keep that in mind. Two minutes later I was finally able to log into my new phone, but anyway.

WHile at BB I checked out their warranty plan, and at $6.99 it made me consider it. They have no deductibles vs $100 for Sprint's (Asurian).

Has anyone had experience with submitting a claim for a smartphone recently with either side (Best Buy or print)?
    Lot of us will be considering this. Imagine, no deductible.
    Thanks
    only thing that you might want to consider is that best buy does not warranty lost phones, and the sprint warranty does.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    BB is far better, but as CtrlAltDelete said no lost/stolen warranty and BB is alway far better to work with
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CtrlAltDelete View Post
    only thing that you might want to consider is that best buy does not warranty lost phones, and the sprint warranty does.
    very good point. Thought about keeping both for a sec, but $14 x 12months is about the price of the phone. Not worth it.

Now to decide.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    very good point. Thought about keeping both for a sec, but $14 x 12months is about the price of the phone. Not worth it.

Now to decide.

Thanks
    BB charges $14? I've never had anything but good experiences working with the reps at my local Sprint store. The Sprint insurance I have costs $7 - if you have a Sprint Store/Repair shop close to you I'd recommend going with the Sprint insurance.
    Anyone have experience with SquareTrade warranties? A generic "smartphone" warranty is $96/24 months.

Also, I've heard that many times, Best Buy can't back up their extended warranties and simply gives the money back. If someone's had good luck with a BB warranty, that would be good to hear about.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by loupy View Post
    BB charges $14? I've never had anything but good experiences working with the reps at my local Sprint store. The Sprint insurance I have costs $7 - if you have a Sprint Store/Repair shop close to you I'd recommend going with the Sprint insurance.
    best buy charges $7. What i meant by $14 is if I kept both, sprint AND BB.
    Not worth it.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    best buy charges $7. What i meant by $14 is if I kept both, sprint AND BB.
    Not worth it.
    Ok - I misunderstood, sorry.
    I think Best Buy charges $10 for their plan.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    I work for Best Buy and I can honestly say that the Geek Squad Black Tie Protection is not a good deal. It's $3 more than TEP. Sure there is a deductible with TEP but you get a phone the next day or two and most of time it is a new phone. Best Buy's will take forever to get you a new phone because the company they outsource it to sucks. Sometimes they even lose your phone and it takes longer. They always send back a refurbished device as well unless it's approved for in-store exchange which could take a month. Trust me, just go with TEP and you'll be happy you did

thank you. I/we appreciate your honesty.
    I havent had to warranty anything through BB lately, but back years ago it was WAY better then TEP.

I had a few phones I got from them crap out, went in told them about it, and 5 minutes later was walking out with a brand new phone from in store exchange. Not sure how the now called Black Tie is but the one I used to be offered was through BB itself. No deductible and easy as cake, usually not a monthly charge either, you just pay like $xx.xx when you buy the product.

BB is #1 in my book for Customer Service/Satisfaction
    I work for Best Buy and I can honestly say that the Geek Squad Black Tie Protection is not a good deal. It's $3 more than TEP. Sure there is a deductible with TEP but you get a phone the next day or two and most of time it is a new phone. Best Buy's will take forever to get you a new phone because the company they outsource it to sucks. Sometimes they even lose your phone and it takes longer. They always send back a refurbished device as well unless it's approved for in-store exchange which could take a month. Trust me, just go with TEP and you'll be happy you did
    This issue has been discussed a lot already. The consensus is that Best Buy is NOT supposed to use that company for the Pre Black Tie coverage anymore. Rather, the Pre should be just like the iPhone is right now and be sent for rapidexchange. The problem now seems to be that Best Buy is not doing a good job of informing their employees of this change.

Considering this fact, I'd say the BB plan is better with no-deductable.
    If anyone has tried to deal with sprint customer service they would tell you to keep the BB.
    BB $9.99 month, no deductible, unlimited replacement, includes batteries and they provide a loaner phone while yours is out for repair.

Just to clarify Sprint customer service usually gets your problem solved but it can take hours and days on hold until you actually get a customer service person the is competent. If you loose phones or leave it laying around to get stolen sprint is the way to go.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It's nice to hear someone from Best Buy respond with exactly what I was going to say. I've never filed a claim with either but, a couple friends filed with Best Buy. They were told by the store rep that in the event the phone was damaged and unusable they'd get an "out of the box" replacement that day. They were given a replacement, but it was an older model phone and they both waited over a month to receive a permanent replacement.
    Sprint's total equipment protection plan is excellent. They never question any repair or replacement unless the phone shows water damage. I have had my phone replaced for a cracked screen, or even just a button on the QWERTY that sticks sometimes, and they usually have it fixed or replaced within 24 hours.
    I know opinions vary widely on the subject, but in my experience, the BB store warranty is close to being the world's worst extended warranty. A quick trip to google will completely overwhelm you with horror stories.

I wouldn't take a Best Buy warranty even if it was free, because I'd never risk trying to use it. There's no knowing what you'll get back or when. Even on here there have been stories about people who went phone-less for weeks on end because of the BB's "Black Tie" coverage.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Lot of misinformation about Best Buy and the time it takes. Every store at this point should be sending the Palm Pre as rapid exchange. You will not wait a month for the Pre, 5 business days max and we'll give you a loaner (w/deposit) if you have no other phone to use. It also does end up being cheaper if you fix your phone atleast once then does for Sprint over the two years. Only gripe like I have with others is lost and stolen phones, it's in the works and will someday be offered as well.

And if you work for Best Buy (like me), please look up the information for Rapid Exchange and you will see the Palm Pre on the list with the iPhone, unfortunately that was not really talked about to employees but that still doesn't mean an employee shouldn't look it up first before giving out misinformation.
    Yup, 5 days max, if you go to a store that isn't staffed by idiots (no offense, but retail is retail) and if you get sprint TEP you can exchange it on the spot at a sprint store or get one shipped to you overnight for free in most cases. Now if you go to a BB store that IS staffed by idiots (which most of them are in my experience) they will not even know what Rapid Exchange is until you tell them, wait a week to send it out, forget to send it to Rapid Exchange anyway, wait a month for it to come back from the wrong service center, and possibly repeat the process 3 or 4 times before the one dude with a clue sends it to the right place and then you STILL have to wait 5 more days to get your phone.

Don't believe that this sort of thing happens regularly? Well then, let me google that for you.

And no offense, but you work for Best Buy. That would be like a Sprint rep claiming that TEP was better. I've used BB warranty service once (and never again) and the internet is flooded with one horror story after another about how bad BestBuy is at honoring their warranty service.

All retail warranties suck, but Best Buy Black Tie protection is quite possibly the worst.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Sprint
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    And no offense, but you work for Best Buy. That would be like a Sprint rep claiming that TEP was better. .
    True, but I'm just laying it out clearly to understand, it's your choice what to use. Just some misinformation from other people in the thread. Also, everything will have horror stories, as goes with the Pre itself, yet for the most part, it does work. There will be denials because of two things, abuse and misinformed customers on what it covers by employees or just customers trying to get more from what the plan states (in-store exchange vs. service). But to say it's the worst, is not true. Even before I worked for Best Buy, having my game systems replaced was the best thing I had done. But again, not trying to say "buy ours" but give the correct information for you to decide.

Also, a little tip if you really want to sure things done "right" the first time. Ask for atleast a full-timer or lead (retail is retail like you said, not all care about you behind the counter but there will be some in the store that do) and if you feel like you want to be 100% sure get a Manager on duty to verify that it is being done correctly. It may take an extra 5 minutes but it'll help make sure you are taken care of..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast