Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sd7318 View Post
    True, but I'm just laying it out clearly to understand, it's your choice what to use. Just some misinformation from other people in the thread. Also, everything will have horror stories, as goes with the Pre itself, yet for the most part, it does work. There will be denials because of two things, abuse and misinformed customers on what it covers by employees or just customers trying to get more from what the plan states (in-store exchange vs. service). But to say it's the worst, is not true. Even before I worked for Best Buy, having my game systems replaced was the best thing I had done. But again, not trying to say "buy ours" but give the correct information for you to decide.

Also, a little tip if you really want to sure things done "right" the first time. Ask for atleast a full-timer or lead (retail is retail like you said, not all care about you behind the counter but there will be some in the store that do) and if you feel like you want to be 100% sure get a Manager on duty to verify that it is being done correctly. It may take an extra 5 minutes but it'll help make sure you are taken care of..
    1. What misinformation? Nobody said that every BB warranty claim is handled wrong, what was said was that enough of them are handled wrong to make it a very bad deal compared to Sprint's insurance, and that it tends to be much worse than other retail warranties, most of which suck to begin with.

2. So claims get denied at Best Buy, on a Best Buy warranty, because a Best Buy employee lied to the customer to sell an extra warranty. How is that not HORRIBLE service? In fact, that's EXACTLY what happened to me. My BB warranty was for a laptop, and I had two employees tell me in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that I could come in and get a replacement battery before my 2 year coverage ran out, even if my battery was still ok, just to have it last longer. When I went back in 23 months later, and my battery would only hold a 70% charge, I went all the way up to the store manager who literally laughed in my face and said that was "the stupidest line a garbage he'd ever heard from a customer."

3. That's a rotten tip. What you're saying, is that if you want to get the service you paid for, which is more expensive and lower quality than Sprint's TEP even when it works out right, you should take extra time, make yourself difficult, and insist on talking to someone "higher up," when you could just walk into a sprint store and walk out with a new phone.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    1. What misinformation? Nobody said that every BB warranty claim is handled wrong, what was said was that enough of them are handled wrong to make it a very bad deal compared to Sprint's insurance, and that it tends to be much worse than other retail warranties, most of which suck to begin with.

2. So claims get denied at Best Buy, on a Best Buy warranty, because a Best Buy employee lied to the customer to sell an extra warranty. How is that not HORRIBLE service? In fact, that's EXACTLY what happened to me. My BB warranty was for a laptop, and I had two employees tell me in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that I could come in and get a replacement battery before my 2 year coverage ran out, even if my battery was still ok, just to have it last longer. When I went back in 23 months later, and my battery would only hold a 70% charge, I went all the way up to the store manager who literally laughed in my face and said that was "the stupidest line a garbage he'd ever heard from a customer."

3. That's a rotten tip. What you're saying, is that if you want to get the service you paid for, which is more expensive and lower quality than Sprint's TEP even when it works out right, you should take extra time, make yourself difficult, and insist on talking to someone "higher up," when you could just walk into a sprint store and walk out with a new phone.
    1. About it taking a month for the Pre, it's 5 days max rapid exchange, thought I made that clear.

2. Call 1-888- Best-buy = your battery (which is the same for cell phones), I'm sorry your store was clueless (atleast those you've talked to). But batteries are shipped direct to you via that number for your coverage, not only should have that been told to you by all involved but should also have been in your Terms and Conditions with your Black Tie pamphlet.

3. I'm just offering a way for you to make sure you don't get someone that doesn't care about his/her job. They ALL should do their job and do it correctly but sadly to say not every person out there is a "good employee." If that is too difficult, then tell him to do it (hand it off to a full-timer) for you so you can be on your way.

I don't think my post required more information but hope that clears it up. Sorry for your bad experience though, sounds like your PC Department needs to go over the correct route for their battery replacements.
    1. About it taking a month for the Pre, it's 5 days max rapid exchange, thought I made that clear.

2. Call 1-888- Best-buy = your battery (which is the same for cell phones), I'm sorry your store was clueless (atleast those you've talked to). But batteries are shipped direct to you via that number for your coverage, not only should have that been told to you by all involved but should also have been in your Terms and Conditions with your Black Tie pamphlet.

3. I'm just offering a way for you to make sure you don't get someone that doesn't care about his/her job. They ALL should do their job and do it correctly but sadly to say not every person out there is a "good employee." If that is too difficult, then tell him to do it (hand it off to a full-timer) for you so you can be on your way.

I don't think my post required more information but hope that clears it up. Sorry for your bad experience though, sounds like your PC Department needs to go over the correct route for their battery replacements.

Yea that is a pretty bad story. I would definatley give that number a call. Best Buy treats their customers better than that.
    You'll only get your Pre back in 5 days if you get a competent employee to help you, AND a competent employee ships your pre out, AND a competent employee at rapid exchange handles it, AND you didn't turn it in for something that BB doesn't cover even though an employee lied to you and told you it did. Otherwise, it's a month minimum, and maybe never. I thought I made that clear.

...and there have already been a couple people on these forums who had just exactly that happen to them, so let's not act like it never happens.

As far as the number, I truly appreciate the help. I know that not all retail employees are idiots, (I was one back in college, although whether or not I was an ***** at 20 is a whole separate topic) and I'm sure you're honestly trying to be helpful. Unfortunately, the laptop is now 9 years old, and used as a teaching computer for my fiance's younger siblings.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    You'll only get your Pre back in 5 days if you get a competent employee to help you, AND a competent employee ships your pre out, AND a competent employee at rapid exchange handles it, AND you didn't turn it in for something that BB doesn't cover even though an employee lied to you and told you it did. Otherwise, it's a month minimum, and maybe never. I thought I made that clear.

...and there have already been a couple people on these forums who had just exactly that happen to them, so let's not act like it never happens.

As far as the number, I truly appreciate the help. I know that not all retail employees are idiots, (I was one back in college, although whether or not I was an ***** at 20 is a whole separate topic) and I'm sure you're honestly trying to be helpful. Unfortunately, the laptop is now 9 years old, and used as a teaching computer for my fiance's younger siblings.
    Definitely just trying to help Though still, that was terrible service you received, no doubt about it.

I understand the frustration but it's a different shipping arrangement with the Pre, unfortunately it has been shipped to the wrong place before and that is because they are NOT following the correct Rapid Exchange procedures! Sadly this needs taught out and Sunday I'll send an email to my territory manager to see if that can't be sent as a mass email to mobile and geek squad employees.

It is human error but one that could be avoided from the get go is all I'm saying, it's a new setup for a phone other than the iPhone and employees still try to send that phone to RMS or Touchstone and not Rapid Exchange, Rapid Exchange is Rapid Exchange, not 30 days min. like it "was" through RMS ( Touchstone is our new service and a max of 14 days on standard phones )which is what I'm saying but may have been not clear in that.

So a quick break down lol

Pre / iPhone = Rapid Exchange (max 5 days)
    Standard Phones = Touchstone (max 14days)
    Old system was RMS = 30 days max but that is no longer our service center for phones (thankfully!)

Also, I'm just trying to clear our service up, not push it. TEP has advantages as well but our policy of shipping/replacing this phone needed cleared up.
    Fair enough.

Also, just so people don't think I'm a completely anti-BB nut-job, I did in fact end up buying my Pre at BB, and got a $50 cash refund in about 5 minutes when the priced dropped to $149 a few days after I bought mine. No BS, no problems, although I had to literally bite my tongue and be silent for a moment when the BB wireless rep offered me Black Tie Protection.

I'm just very anti-retail-warranty, and BB's warranty is at the top of my personal @#$&* list. Retail warranties are the second biggest profit margin item in the retail world right behind retail credit cards.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 09/11/2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I bought my pre at BB and also got the black tie warranty. Instead of paying $10 a month, I paid in a lump sum of $169.99, which divided by 24 (months) is $7.08 a month. The upfront payment is hard to bite off though.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Had a rental car over the weekend and used the Sprint Navigation to get around town. Placed the phone on the console between the seats near the dashboard. Worked great until I put the car back in Park. I pinched the pre between the shift lever and the dash....cracked the screen! Was not happy. Took it to BB today to see what they could do. Walked out 15 mins later with a brand new pre. Very happy customer except I couldn't get the pics off of the old one with the dead screen.
    BB is 6.99 now, used to be 10.00.
    Fair enough.

Also, just so people don't think I'm a completely anti-BB nut-job, I did in fact end up buying my Pre at BB, and got a $50 cash refund in about 5 minutes when the priced dropped to $149 a few days after I bought mine. No BS, no problems, although I had to literally bite my tongue and be silent for a moment when the BB wireless rep offered me Black Tie Protection.

I'm just very anti-retail-warranty, and BB's warranty is at the top of my personal @#$&* list. Retail warranties are the second biggest profit margin item in the retail world right behind retail credit cards.
    Best Buy =/= Best Buy Mobile.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    (yet another BB employee here)

The smart phone Product Exchange Plan at BB canada is quite excellent. If your phone is defective, theres no sending out for repair crap, its a straight up, over the counter exchange. Ive used it twice now for the oreo issue. It says right in the pamphlet they give out that its a straight up no wait exchange (well, maybe a minute or two to process it). That black tie crap in the states sounds like garbage by comparison.

I don't know what Bell's insurance coverage costs, but from my experience their customer service is god awful. Just today for example I have to phone them and figure out a billing issue with my girlfriend's pre. They are charging her instead of me for the bill, when I explicitly told them to charge my visa, not hers...
    I went with Bell due to the loss, theft, and water damage coverage. This phone is small and can easily fall out of a pocket.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Good info, were about to upgrade my wife's line to a Pre and don't feel like waiting for the $100 rebate from Sprint. Question is if I buy it at BB with no insurance and I keep TEP Sprint isn't going to give me a hard time because I didn't but the phone from them are they?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Good info, were about to upgrade my wife's line to a Pre and don't feel like waiting for the $100 rebate from Sprint. Question is if I buy it at BB with no insurance and I keep TEP Sprint isn't going to give me a hard time because I didn't but the phone from them are they?
    I have the exact same scenario coming up so I'd love to hear some feedback on this one as well.
    No, it doesn't matter where you bought the phone. Best Buy is an indirect dealer for Sprint so your TEP will be fine.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    So in 3 months if the "K" on the qwert stops working I can take it into Sprint and not have to worry about paying a $100 deductible for a replacement knowing it's a defect on the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead1973 View Post
    BB is 6.99 now, used to be 10.00.
    Can anyone else confirm this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    So in 3 months if the "K" on the qwert stops working I can take it into Sprint and not have to worry about paying a $100 deductible for a replacement knowing it's a defect on the keyboard.
    Yup because it's a mfg defect... not user error.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc View Post
    Can anyone else confirm this?
    No, it's still $9.99. That store more than likely did an override of the price which caused the plan to drop to our base plan. Not a good thing to do for us or you.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    according to the sales rep at best buy its still 9.99 per month.. supposedly they cover everything from phone to battery to charger... not to sure on this.. will stick with sprint warranty..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast