Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I reboot mine when it starts acting weird. It's especially a problem when trying to use navigation or something important and it starts acting up. So I'll reboot mine before an important day. Recently I've been rebooting every night before I go to bed when I do care how long it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleamorgan View Post
    I just reboot my Pre whenever I notice that it's running slow.
    My pre plus is always running slow. The menus are so glitchy and the scrolling is so poor. I loved this thing until i saw my brother bring home the new droid pro and i got to see how fast that thing really is. It puts the pre to shame and not even a restart could speed up my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiijedi View Post
    I know this is a dumb question for you all you wise and tech savy pre owners but i actually wasnt sure if there was any benefit to this. I also dont know how to reboot the phone or if you just take out the battery. I dont want to lose my contacts in my phone if it resets. Any advice on how often to reboot or reset would be greatly appreciated.
    I recommend daily. Different apps and processes use memory in different ways. With the Sprint Pre's you don't have much so it is best to keep it all cleaned up as best you can. I do mine in the morning when I get up normally. I have only gotten TMC two or three times in a year and a half and almost never have any Luna restarts either.

Do a soft restart by doing the Orange + Sym + R or by going to the Device Info app, scroll down to the bottom and tap Reset Options, then tap Restart.

You should only do a battery pull when the device is on if it is completely locked up.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    About every 2-3 weeks unless I notice that it didn't pair with the Bluetooth built into my car.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    SO and I both have our own Sprint Pre's. Her device just works out of the box for her. Mine is highly OC'd/hacked/homebrewed, etc. Her device gets a trip through the boot as the first problem determination step whenever feels that there's something screwy enough to tell me about it. This works out to be like maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

My device takes a trip through the boot daily at 3am courtesy of reboot scheduler. Why, you might ask? Why not? I can tell you that without the reboot scheduler I wouldn't go through the trouble to manually initiate a reboot cycle.

All of this to say, reboot regularly or not is your personal choice. Both our choices are consistent with not wanting to be a slave to the phone.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    I just do Luna restarts. Never have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I reboot when the phone starts acting weird. Have patch installed to reboot phone by holding the power button down.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    And everyone can easily automate the process by downloading and using the Preset Reset app from Preware. Just set it for when you want it to reboot and no worries.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  9. beh
    Global Posts
    1,413 Global Posts
    Verwon's suggestion is a good one. I have been using the Preset Reset app for several months and it works like a charm. Every morning before I start the day the phone has rebooted to start its day.
    Quote Originally Posted by beh View Post
    Verwon's suggestion is a good one. I have been using the Preset Reset app for several months and it works like a charm. Every morning before I start the day the phone has rebooted to start its day.
    I have mine set for 4am.
    Once every day or two seems to help things run a little smoother.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I reboot mine about once a week. I haven't really had any issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    And everyone can easily automate the process by downloading and using the Preset Reset app from Preware. Just set it for when you want it to reboot and no worries.
    Verwon is on point here. I have been using Preset Reset for a while. I set it to go off every day at about 5am (about an hour before I usually get up) and it takes care of the rest. It just makes everything easier.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Verwon is on point here. I have been using Preset Reset for a while. I set it to go off every day at about 5am (about an hour before I usually get up) and it takes care of the rest. It just makes everything easier.
    Added bonus: You get to sleep through the agonizing boot time!!!
    Added bonus: You get to sleep through the agonizing boot time!!!
    That is literally why I use it. I could be spending that time doing something more constructive, like finding ways to put a miniature golf course in my house for the winter....

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Restarting doesnt seem to help the speed though. The menus still are glitchy and run slow. Stupid 500 mhz processor. Hopefully webOS 2.0 won't use as many resources and will enable it to run more smoothly.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I have mine set for 4am.
    If you have the alarm set, say at 6 AM, is that retained after the reset? Thanks.
  18. beh
    Global Posts
    1,413 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    If you have the alarm set, say at 6 AM, is that retained after the reset? Thanks.
    If you mean when using Preset Reset app the answer is yes it does. Until you change the time or turn off the app it resets everyday at the preset time.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    ...and if you're wondering whether or not a clock alarm is retained after a reset, the answer is also yes. Alarms and all settings like volume level, screen brightness, airplane mode on/off, etc. are maintained through a full reset.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    But with this auto-reboot app/patch thing, do your Govnah settings keep?

You kids today and your automated technology
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast