Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Hey guys,
    I have a few small scratches on my screen and they're driving me nuts. Anyone know if there are any polish like products available to remvoe them?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Put a screen saver like phantom Skinz on and you will not be able to see them. I've heard of products, but I don't really have any experence/recomendations. The screen protector IMO will be your best option.
    Screen protector is a must have for the Pre. For some reason it seems to pick scratches up really easily.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I understand about a screen protector. But I already have scratches so now I would like to remove them before applying a screen protector. Thank you though
    Yeah get a screen protector so you won't get any more scratches I'm not sure how to remove the ones you already got. My pre been protected since day one
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thfc1799 View Post
    I understand about a screen protector. But I already have scratches so now I would like to remove them before applying a screen protector. Thank you though
    Trust me, if you put a quality screen protector on, you wont even be able to tell you have any scratches. Although I understand you'll know they are there, but at least they wont be visible.
    i have some novus scratch remover for my jeep soft top. comes in three different corsenesses(?). if i can find it, i'll try the mild one on my old instinct.

i have a couple small scratches on my pre, too, and don't want to put a screen protecter on (i do have a rocketfish snap on case that has done wonders for keeping my screen relatively scratch free; the bezel that extends just above the screen keeps it from making contact with the floor/table/desktop everytime i drop it.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Sounds good cooper. Anyone know the top layer is made of? I don't hink its glass... Maybe plexiglass? There must be something that can buff out small scratches
    Google iPod scratch remover

iCleaner iPod Scratch Remover Pro MP3 Player Accessory reviews - CNET Reviews

BTW, the screen is made out of plastic. Not exactly sure what kind of plastic, but it is not glass. That means the scratches can be carefully buffed out.

As others have posted, get yourself a screen protector. I used the Crystal Clear myself.

If you pick up a product, maybe you could post your review to the community? I'm sure others are wondering the same thing you are right now.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jodoan1 View Post
    Google iPod scratch remover

[url= iPod Scratch Remover Pro MP3 Player Accessory reviews - CNET Reviews[/url]

BTW, the screen is made out of plastic. Not exactly sure what kind of plastic, but it is not glass. That means the scratches can be carefully buffed out.

As others have posted, get yourself a screen protector. I used the Crystal Clear myself.

If you pick up a product, maybe you could post your review to the community? I'm sure others are wondering the same thing you are right now.
    This is exactly the sort of thing I wa looking for... thankyou
    I have used the pad of an electric car polisher to buff out scratches on a cordless phone display. The display was damaged by some kind of solvent that left the screen frosted (much worse than a scratch). It took some time, but seemed to work. I used a clean pad and did not add anything to it. I have also considered a bench grinder with a cotton buffing wheel.

Good luck, but if the scratch is not too deep, they might dissapear under a screen protector.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have a scracth from the palm leather holster on my screen. I have been doing some research and "Brasso" keeps poping up. I have some automotive scratch remover that I want to try, but a little scared. I will keep you posted.
    I always used one of two things:
    Blue magic
    3m rubbing compound

The blue magic IS made for metal, but it really does work wonders for plastic too! Just be careful around areas where you cant buff it out, it will be forever stuck in there.

The 3m rubbing compound (walmart, autozone, etc) comes in a small black/grey bottle and runs $5-7, and is my favorite. Use it wet and do not allow it to dry as you buff for very fine nicks. Allow to dry and buff light/fast to get deeper scratches out. The trick with a phone screen is that it also affects the optical qualities of your display, and you'll be removing small amounts of material to get those scratches out, so you want to do it uniformly. Buff larger areas rather than small ones, or you'll have low spots where the scratches were.

Although the 3m stuff is called a rubbing compound, Ive found it works great as a polish, and have used it as such on lacquer paintjobs, car parts, plastic models, plastic screens on cheap watches and old cell phones. The stuff is awesome. Blue magic smells a bit worse, and if you get it on any matte finish surface, it tends to stain, and if you get it in small seams or joints, its a PITA to get it back out, but if you keep it in a small area, and away from those joints and seams, it works wonderfully also, tends to polish even better than the 3m, but can polish so well that instead of removing scratches, it makes them the same sheen as the surface - which after repeated polishings will show up again, but they wont have that milky appearance, rather it will just be a surface imperfection rather than a 'white' scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by dago52 View Post
    I have a scracth from the palm leather holster on my screen. I have been doing some research and "Brasso" keeps poping up. I have some automotive scratch remover that I want to try, but a little scared. I will keep you posted.
    Brasso, is good at removing oxidation, but I would not recommend it on plastic. It may work, but IIRC its very thin and will penetrate deep into unsealed areas. Its far better to use an abrasive polish type, rather than a chemical one.

There are many, many, many products available for plastic modelers for keeping model parts clear. ie: windshields, canopies, windows. Look up methods for polishing these types of model parts, and I bet you find a boat load of info and techniques! Id bet heavily that blue magic shows up
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    OK, I tried some miguire's scratch remover and it removed majority of the scratch's. I think I will order a skin to help me protect my screen. My phone is now shining.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I heard in one post somebody's using Plexus Plastic Polish. I never tried it yet though. But I am planning to.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I would be careful with any sort of abrasive on the screen. you really don't want to wear the screen down. Perhaps a wax would be a better choice, and it would fill the scratch in. also, it would protect the screen from further scratches.
    I have used "STP Son-of-a-gun" on several touchscreens, which is sold for cleaning and shining automotive plastics.

It is non-abrasive, but tends to smooth and shine plastics. If the scratches are VERY light and superficial, it may to a good enough job.