Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I have said multiple times, I live in one of the better areas for Sprint, and this is also the area they test their new hardware stuff. I have numerous sprint phones with no issues. My RSSI is bouncing like crazy on three Pre's, the numbers are much worse than any other sprint phone, it drops calls multiple times a week, and data randomly switches to 1x(with a noticeable depreciation in speed). When I called Palm and Sprint to ask about the problem and what to do, they asked where I live. When I told them, they both wanted me to replace my Pre, and said it couldn't be a network problem. When I told them three Pre's are doing the same thing, they swore the update would fix it (1.03 or 1.1)

There is a problem, period.
    I think the problems are linked. I don't drop calls every day, its maybe once or twice a week, and generally only in areas that are typically low sprint coverage to begin with. I think it drops the calls when the phone switches from Sprint to Roaming sometimes.

I'm confused, which is it? Are you dropping calls in low or good signal areas?
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    I don't know about anyone else but I am in the "best coverage area" according to Sprint's website and my exact house address and I get dropped calls all the time or just so messed up you have to hang up or go crazy trying to understand the conversation.

The worst part of it is SPRINT WILL NOT DO ANYTHING.

I called them being nice on the phone multiple times but there is nothing they will do. They Will not give me the Airave even though they said it will work.

Sprint and the Pre is garbage at this time. (Hopefully it will get better) if not I have 2 years with this.

I do like the PRE as the features it should of had at launch. Copy & paste, video recording, no APP LIMIT, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

I know this is a first generation "beta" phone but not for the features that have been out and capable of doing for years. I guess palms engineers never picked up a Iphone and never seen it had more than 40 APPS.
    Last edited by michaelrj; 09/12/2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add my voice that I am having a similar issue. 5 bars full EVDO, no bars, people go straight to voice mail, 1x, EVDO again, etc. etc. If it persists more than a 10 or 20 seconds at 1x, I will turn on and off airplane mode really quick and that usually fixes it.

Anyway, glad to see I'm not alone and I hope Palm addresses this because it's pretty bad. I'd say 1/3 of the time I go to stream something online it drops to 1x. Annoying factor high.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinDC View Post
    I'm sorry if this has actually been answered somewhere else, but I haven't found it.

I'm on my fourth pre, after two different stores, old build and new. I have three friends from work with the same issue on their pres. The problem is a constantly fluctuating signal EVDO full bars - to roaming - to no service, when standing in the same place (any place). This issue isn't just at home (Airwave took care of that), it's over the whole Washington D.C. metro area. Lots of dropped calls. I know I've seen many many people post the same issue.

It's been 26 days and I have tried every update PRL and network trick and set to Roam only, along with all the other suggesting about Gmail syching and what-have-you. I returned earlier pres, the repair center has given them all a clean bill of health anyway.

I just want to know from someone who had this issue and has tried the leaked webos 1.2, did this signal issue get better?

I'm excited about all the other 1.2 updates, but this is really the only fix that will keep me and three coworkers from returning our pres.
    I smell troll. LOL Just kidding, Mike. I just spoke to a pre owner reporting the same issue after the OS update. 3-4 returns and still either hardware issues or signal strength inconsistencies, huh? wow. Definitely a first gen beta guinea pig product if I've ever seen or heard of one. Damn.
    any time i get on the net with evdo i watch the bars drop to 1 or two for a sec. then they jump up when data comes through i dont get it ,its more like a signal transfer indicator than a signal indicator ?! whats the deal?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    this phone by the way is pretty much first gen. still in beta stage phone, relax it will get alot better im sure . its still faster better than any other phone ive had so im still happy!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I have really crappy reception in my house. Here is my experience:
    When the system tries to get a signal it goes to full 5 bars of EVDO service. Then it drops to nothing or 1 bar at the most. If I'm lucky it will hang on and make the connection. If not it goes to the 1x service which is about 1 or 2 bars if lucky. I think when you get the fluctuations it is because the Palm Pre is trying to get some network signal. I upgraded to 1.2 release and have not seen any change in it's performance. I'm still waiting for my Airave,thought it's on back order and it may take some time before sprint gets it in stock again. Probably because of everyone trying to order one.
    If I'm in a good signal area, I don't get the fluctuations. This was true with both 1.1 and 1.2.

By the way, I switched from Verizon and had just a little bit better reception however it too was spotty certain days. Outside of my house I can get about 2 bars, however since my house is made of Stucco, it shields a lot of the signal. So working, using my phone in the house typically sucks till I get the airave. For data, I use my wireless router for access.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    yep same here i LOVED my Treo(s) I got GREAT reception now I get NO reception.. I'm in St. Louis MO...
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I'm confused, which is it? Are you dropping calls in low or good signal areas?
    Low signal area inside one of sprints best areas, if that makes any sense? Let me try to explain my situation better. The sprint coverage area I live in, is one of their best in the country. This is where they roll out their new hardware stuff, and recently did their testing of 4G here first. Never had less than 4-5 bars on any sprint phone other than the Pre, with maybe the occasional dip to 3 bars. Never dropped EVDO except for a rare occasion, and haven't dropped a phone call for years (can't remember the last time before I got my Pre). With the Pre, when I am out and about, the signal bounces constantly and changes from evdo to 1x randomly, but doesn't usually drop calls. When I am at home, which is a low signal area for ALL cell phones (I think the land dips down a little bit where I live or something, all cell companies never get better than 1-2 bars in my yard, and 0-1 inside the house) I drop calls 1-2-3 times a week, obviously depending how much I use the phone at my house. It's bad enough that I usually check who's calling my phone, ignore it, and call them back on my fiance's sprint Treo Pro, so I don't have to worry about the calls dropping. With all my other Sprint phones, I would hold around 2 bars in the yard, and around 1 bar in the house, but I have never had to repeat myself or dropped a call before that I can remember. In the basement is a different story, no one gets service there, due to the concrete walls and low signal to begin with. If I am on my Pre, I won't even bother answering the phone unless I am outside. The Pre is even bad enough that I miss text messages and what not.. I can sit there and watch the Treo Pro hold 2 bars, and the Pre won't let me make a phone call. The Pre will drop a call, while my fiance talks to her mother 2 feet away on the Centro or Treo Pro, and never has an issue. I have a *lot* of smartphones, but I use the Treo Pro as a reference, because it was noticeably worse than any other phone before the Pre. Funny, it was the last phone Palm released before the Pre.. There is definitely a problem with the Pre. Either a crappy radio they are using now with the newer palms, heat related, or programming related.
    This thread really shows that many people are annoyed with the behavior of the wildly fluctuating signal strength on the Pre. It will be interesting to see whether this problem exists "at the same scale" for other carriers as it does for Sprint. I also have the wildly varying signal strength (who doesn't) but it doesn't seem to me like it causes dropped calls. (It might be causing me to miss picking up calls at home, but I'm not sure. I often switch the ringer to the silent/vibrate setting so that when I get notifications during a call, they don't do the ringing in my ear thing.

It's odd how in some threads here the tone can be either substantially positive or substantially negative. This thread is really hard for me to keep reading. The fact that a person using the leaked WebOS 1.2 has indicated the problem was not fixed in the leaked verion does not bode well for this phone. Maybe someone can go back and see which chipset/vendor is being used for the CDMA radio and what other (if any) other phones use the same chipset. This is either a hardware issue or s software issue that Sprint does not want to risk changing. Hopefully some of the bright people here can actually figure out what is going on and why.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Low signal area inside one of sprints best areas, if that makes any sense? Let me try to explain my situation better. The sprint coverage area I live in, is one of their best in the country. This is where they roll out their new hardware stuff, and recently did their testing of 4G here first. Never had less than 4-5 bars on any sprint phone other than the Pre, with maybe the occasional dip to 3 bars. Never dropped EVDO except for a rare occasion, and haven't dropped a phone call for years (can't remember the last time before I got my Pre). With the Pre, when I am out and about, the signal bounces constantly and changes from evdo to 1x randomly, but doesn't usually drop calls. When I am at home, which is a low signal area for ALL cell phones (I think the land dips down a little bit where I live or something, all cell companies never get better than 1-2 bars in my yard, and 0-1 inside the house) I drop calls 1-2-3 times a week, obviously depending how much I use the phone at my house. It's bad enough that I usually check who's calling my phone, ignore it, and call them back on my fiance's sprint Treo Pro, so I don't have to worry about the calls dropping. With all my other Sprint phones, I would hold around 2 bars in the yard, and around 1 bar in the house, but I have never had to repeat myself or dropped a call before that I can remember. In the basement is a different story, no one gets service there, due to the concrete walls and low signal to begin with. If I am on my Pre, I won't even bother answering the phone unless I am outside. The Pre is even bad enough that I miss text messages and what not.. I can sit there and watch the Treo Pro hold 2 bars, and the Pre won't let me make a phone call. The Pre will drop a call, while my fiance talks to her mother 2 feet away on the Centro or Treo Pro, and never has an issue. I have a *lot* of smartphones, but I use the Treo Pro as a reference, because it was noticeably worse than any other phone before the Pre. Funny, it was the last phone Palm released before the Pre.. There is definitely a problem with the Pre. Either a crappy radio they are using now with the newer palms, heat related, or programming related.

Ok this makes more sense but the fact that you live in one of the 'best coverage areas' for Sprint is irrelevant if your signal quality at home is crap, which seems to be your case. When you talked about 'best coverage area', it made it sound like your house was in a good signal area.

One conclusion I can draw from this (assuming all Pres are the same) is that even though mine fluctuates down to 1 bar at home, I'm still getting a better signal than you as I'm not dropping any calls. And for the time I've had the Pre so far, the overall performance of the voice portion is at least the same (or better) than my iPhone 3g was.

Maybe you're correct and the Pre's reception isn't as good as other Sprint phones, but I can't tell from where I'm at. It's been doing fine here (despite the fluctuating indicator). BTW I live just outside of a big city so that may explain my better luck.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  12.    #52  
    It's a good point about the possible difference between the wavy signal meter and the dropped call issue. My problem is the fact that half my calls are getting dropped and much of the rest of the time the other person can't hear me talking. I know Sprint works great in every place that use it, so it's some aspect of the Pre.

And to be clear, this breaks my heart. I love the pre. It's the hands down best pocket computer, PDA I've ever seen. I love every minute of it up until I have to make a call. Then I want to throw it against a wall. I'm very sad that it doesn't sound like 1.2 will fix this.

I may have to end up getting the Hero, even though I won't like it as much, just because I need a Sprint smartphone that I can call clients with. I just find it ironic that with all the things that could have gone wrong on such an advanced and complex device as the pre, it's the most basic and fundemental function that won't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeindc View Post
    it's a good point about the possible difference between the wavy signal meter and the dropped call issue. My problem is the fact that half my calls are getting dropped and much of the rest of the time the other person can't hear me talking. I know sprint works great in every place that use it, so it's some aspect of the pre.

And to be clear, this breaks my heart. I love the pre. It's the hands down best pocket computer, pda i've ever seen. I love every minute of it up until i have to make a call. Then i want to throw it against a wall. I'm very sad that it doesn't sound like 1.2 will fix this.

I may have to end up getting the hero, even though i won't like it as much, just because i need a sprint smartphone that i can call clients with. I just find it ironic that with all the things that could have gone wrong on such an advanced and complex device as the pre, it's the most basic and fundemental function that won't work for me.
    b i n g o
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I was in DC for 3 days, 9/9-9/11 and I had TERRIBLE service. Far worst than anything I have seen in Philadelphia or other east coast cities. I almost felt like it was a consequence of lobbying by AT&T and Verizon to corrupt sprint svc! I stayed on 14th and Pennsylvania, and was more than surprised to see how poor my service was, especially considering the people who live/work 2 blocks down. Throughout the hotel, the JW marriot, people were clicking away on their iphones and getting internet service while i was barely getting any signal. I don't know if they were doing service repairs over the past week, but if I worked in the district and had to deal with that, I don't know what I would do.

The most frustrating thing is that pricey hotel charges for wifi and I was (over)confident that I'd be able to tether... my results were frustratingly slow and inconsistent.

I find it funny that sprint has a reputation for terrible service and dropped calls, because I've never really felt that to be the case, but this recent stay in the district has clarified things a bit. My hope is that a repeater/station was down, and perhaps they weren't operating at full capacity.

Hopefully this adds to this thread and answers the OPs question, because I don't intend to come across as complaining. I like sprint as much as anybody but my experience was not what I've come to expect.
    So Michaelrj, Does Bingo mean you at least understand that Sprint isn't the problem? Please don't say they WON'T do anything, when the truth is they now realize they can't do anything but wait for Palm to fix it. Which is all we can do too. Other than that we need make sure Palm knows we know it is the phone.
    Yea, I said this around launch day, but I guess we should say it again. Without emailing or calling Palm to "ask about the issue" and them putting it into their "feature/fix request" system, the guys doing the work won't know there is a major problem or how large it is.

Make sure you all email or call Palm and let them know the phone is not working as a phone properly, and your other sprint phones DON'T have this problem.
    Was wondering where the antennae is on the phone... behind the shiney reflective mirror on the back of the slider? I forget... is that mirror metal? Could be a design issue and getting interference from it's own casing causing the fluctuating signal. For Apple, it was concern enough in 1st gen to have the bottom portion of the phone in plastic while the rest encased in metal/glass and enough of an issue that it's now all glossy plastic instead of metal (which I liked better).

Just tossing an idea that's all.
    Yea, I said this around launch day, but I guess we should say it again. Without emailing or calling Palm to "ask about the issue" and them putting it into their "feature/fix request" system, the guys doing the work won't know there is a major problem or how large it is.

Make sure you all email or call Palm and let them know the phone is not working as a phone properly, and your other sprint phones DON'T have this problem.
    If they used the Pre as their own personal phone, which, if it's so "great" in their eyes, should be a given; then they should know all the faults that we have to deal with daily.
    Ung

I love this phone but it can be a problem for me as well. Some times, with no explination I will go from full bar evdo to roaming. This is at my own house in a full coverage area.

I have also noted that, if you have bad reception, opening the slider and flipping the phone upside down helps.

What I would like to know is, any bell customers having this problem?
    I can deal with the other flaws, but an improperly functioning phone is a deal-breaker to me. I need a phone that functions as a phone should first.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast