Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A Lot of the other phones have one. I thought it'd be something fun for the developers to play with.
    This has been requested and discussed in the app development section of the site:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ia-camera.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...codes-pre.html
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    This has been discussed before. Consensus is that the camera on the pre cannot do the macro shots needed to be able to figure out the bar code. Just not gonna work on the Pre unless they change to an auto-focus camera instead of the current fixed-focus one it has.

(scrup, your links are broken)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    (scrup, your links are broken)
    work for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    ....Just not gonna work on the Pre unless they change to an auto-focus camera instead ....
    I seem to recall that in the CES presentation in January, the Pre was advertised with "software auto focus". I wonder what other software tweaks could control the camera and thus help with the barcode focusing?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I seem to recall that in the CES presentation in January, the Pre was advertised with "software auto focus". I wonder what other software tweaks could control the camera and thus help with the barcode focusing?
    Actually, I think it might work better if we could disable the software enhanced depth of field temporarily. It looks to me like there is some smoothing along with the edge enhancement. So maybe there is hope without a hardware change.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    work for me?
    They work now.

For some reason, they were broken right after you posted.

Odd.
    Cardstar is the company that is making applications for all the other platforms specifically for this, I emailed them recently and they said it could take up to 6mos just for the Andriod version of there app to hit the market, as for the Pre its not even a thought yet but will be in the future ...

There applications are pretty solid considering you do not need to hang those stupid store cards on your key ring anymore when you have there app (I know CVS and other grocery stores are all on board) but as for boarding pass barcodes for airports (i recently saw a person scanning there ticket with there iphone) is still up in there air ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

no macro, no barcodes... at least not likely... you might be able to process the hell out of the image, from a distance, to scan, but that's not likely.

It's more likely to make a program that takes a constant feed of pictures, and compares them to make a higher-quality image of the barcode. Processing like this might actually make this barcode scanner idea work. It's not easy though.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    To get a reference of how bad the Pre camera is at reading barcodes, I took some sample shots:
    I wonder if its possible to have software-zoom-up on the barcode from a focused distance? The resolution seems decent enough and perhaps the scanning software can superimpose a target box that one could position the barcode so the algorithm knows what to translate inside the field of view?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I wonder if its possible to have software-zoom-up on the barcode from a focused distance? The resolution seems decent enough and perhaps the scanning software can superimpose a target box that one could position the barcode so the algorithm knows what to translate inside the field of view?
    our best bet would be to have a 'video' with many, many frames of comparison/reference for software to 'decipher' the barcode from. Not easy, but definitely doable. Similar to the software law enforcement uses to turn grainy security camera footage into a high-resolution wanted photo.

At one point I actually saw a consumer-level piece of software that touted this ability, but I have since long forgotten where I saw this.

Basically, this ain't gonna happen.
    no 'Thanks'
    was the iphones 3g camera autofocus?
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    No, 2mp fixed-focus. Not sure what the "sweet spot" was for close-ups though.

3GS has auto-focus.
    no 'Thanks'
    well i was just trying to think, if the 3g's (not 3gs :-P) camera could do it w/o auto focus so could the pre's.....but then again true if it had better focusing on closer objects than the pre's...
    From what I've read, it did not work very well.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    there was a barcode reading app for the 3G. All I remember is it suxed big time. In fact, the one for the 3GS isn't the best either from what I hear. It's all about the G1 I suppose.
    I would love to see someone process an image with pure javascript.

To my knowledge there is no image service.
    The Cardstar app doesn't require photos of bar codes so it should be doable. You type in the number and it generates the bar code..... should be easily done for the right motivated person.
    wait a minute...how can Evernote "read" text that's photographed and make it indexable/searchable but a barcode app can't do the same with numbers or a bar pattern?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast