Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My old winmo phone could read barcodes with a 1.2 mp camera. With a 3mp and pics like that, barcode reading is possible.

To be fair, it would read 2D barcodes. But it read it with MUCH worse pictures than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    wait a minute...how can Evernote "read" text that's photographed and make it indexable/searchable but a barcode app can't do the same with numbers or a bar pattern?
    Evernote has OCR technology built-in?
    no 'Thanks'
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Evernote has OCR technology built-in?
    While Evernote does utilize a type of OCR to recognize notes and make them available for indexing and easy searching, It is not an OCR program. There are OCR programs on the market that are capable of text to digital conversions.
    I just tried evernote, and it barely works. Perhaps if I was taking a picture of a huge poster, but not of normal print.
    no 'Thanks'
    I just tried evernote, and it barely works. Perhaps if I was taking a picture of a huge poster, but not of normal print.
    yea...maybe it's just that...it has to be large format...
    If you take a picture of text and put it on an Evernote note, Evernote does recognize it pretty well. Key factor is Evernote is doing this on their servers, not on your phone. This even works with hand written text.

I still think a barcode scanner app is possible, but maybe not with pure javascript.
    RedLaser on iPhone is the best barcode scanning and shopping app I've seen. Very impressive
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If you take a picture of text and put it on an Evernote note, Evernote does recognize it pretty well. Key factor is Evernote is doing this on their servers, not on your phone. This even works with hand written text.

I still think a barcode scanner app is possible, but maybe not with pure javascript.
    It really does not scan text very well--at least not typical-sized text. I had to use large print for it to work.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I hate to say it, but right now i don't see the Pre's camera having enough focus to get a good barcode picture. I've tried lots of different ways and nothing seems to work.

I used Free online Barcode decoder

The first few are my pictures and the last couple are pictures from a 3Gs. It worked every time with pictures from the 3gs.
    I don't see this as plausible until Pre 2.0 probably....
    Macro shots from a pre
    Palm Pre Macro Lens - a set on Flickr

The DYI instructions from pre central.
    http://www.precentral.net/fashion-di...old-dvd-player
    I have found one company (search for Quickmark Q+ on Google) who do a physical lens that you can affix to your phone for better quality images! Might save the death of a DVD player!

There are ways of getting a good image - even from a pre - what we seem to be lacking is a scanner that can be used.
    The G1 did this a year ago flawlessly. I think it is def one of the few must have applications for me. I hope this gets some attention.
    the. Pre. cannot. scan. barcodes.

no auto-focus. but you could do GIANT barcodes maybe
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    the best solution is prolly down the road, a dedicated bar code scanner than can plug into the the microusb port. it should be ready for pre/webos 5 or so.
    the. Pre. cannot. scan. barcodes.

no auto-focus. but you could do GIANT barcodes maybe
    lol +1
    if the red laser people can use a blury pic for iphone, there has to be a way for us to do it.
    how bout no picture scanning but of a bar code input. I manually key in the bar code. There is an app on the iphone like this
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    how bout no picture scanning but of a bar code input. I manually key in the bar code. There is an app on the iphone like this
    If that's what you're looking for you could always just use the universal search. Google will recognize your entry as a barcode and search it just the same as if you were using the app. Just click the top link on the google result page.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast