Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Here in South Texas, we haven't had much rain over the past year, and literally none since the Pre was released. This week, we have been blessed with rain showers, but suddenly I can't obtain a GPS fix on my Pre. Does rain really have that much of an effect on GPS signals?
    Ya m8, heavy cloud cover will effect your GPS signal. Yes the Pre has a GPS receiver in it but it's by far not the strongest.
    It seems somewhat common for the Pre to miss a GPS fix on the first try (especially if you've just turned on GPS). But I believe it is possible for a very heavy rain to interfere with satellite signals. That combined with being indoors or something could be the problem. Try searching on GPS rain fade.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Well crap, there goes my plans for Geocaching in the rain!
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Perhaps it wasn't the cloud cover that cost you a GPS signal. Perhaps you got the phone too wet in that rain of yours.

xtn
    We all know the Pre came out in the summer season. Now that winter is coming, we can look forward to all the inevitable posts about how the Pre sucks cause it loses a GPS signal in the eye of a category 5 tornado.

I own a Garmin GPS unit and the Pre seems to get/keep a better signal, probably because the Pre has assisted GPS (GPS-A). I had to buy a boosted external antenna for the Garmin because it would lose its signal in areas with lots of buildings, which is kinda to be expected.
    Welcome to the world of wireless and signal propagation! A little off subject but .....Believe it or not, microwave engineers back in the day had to account for waves on a large body of water or for crop land in which the grain waving in the wind would affect signals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It seems somewhat common for the Pre to miss a GPS fix on the first try (especially if you've just turned on GPS). But I believe it is possible for a very heavy rain to interfere with satellite signals. That combined with being indoors or something could be the problem. Try searching on GPS rain fade.
    GPS rain fade?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Its not technically GPS rain fade as GPS is in the 1.575 Ghz 'window'. However, other things may or may not affect it. Standing water can absorb this frequency and if you are in your car, windshield wipers can intermittenly block signal and cause it to not lock on. Back to my original post, welcome to wireless - just never 100% reliable.
    Whenever I run Sprint Navigation it asks me to make sure I have a clear view of the sky. I tried running it inside the house, and lo and behold, with a roof over my head it couldn't pinpoint my location.

I guess having clouds over you works in the same way.
    Be aware there is also a bug in the Pre where the GPS receiver seems to go to sleep and lose satellite tracking after about 30 seconds. If you originally achieved satellite lock and everything seems fine, but you lose the satellites after about 30 seconds, this may be the cause. For me, the simplest way out of this is to do a simple reset of the phone (accessible through "device info" on the launcher). Some people have reported a quicker fix by dialing ##GPS# on the phone dial, which causes the Pre to get a GPS fix, but this doesn't help me.

If the Pre never did acquire the satellites successfully, the problem is probably rain/clouds, as mentioned. But for me this doesn't happen very often, even when it is heavily overcast.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    i used the gps too today in a cloudy day, no rain. the gps just couldn't pick up any signal, till about 30 min after the trip. this is my first time using it since i got the replacement pre. so from reading this, it sounds like a issue from some of us. should i go get a replacement?
    Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    i used the gps too today in a cloudy day, no rain. the gps just couldn't pick up any signal, till about 30 min after the trip. this is my first time using it since i got the replacement pre. so from reading this, it sounds like a issue from some of us. should i go get a replacement?
    There is a bug where the Pre loses its A-GPS capabilities sometimes. It's relying ONLY on true GPS sometimes, and a quick reset usually fixes this.

The software is by no means perfect, but works most of the time. That does, however, give you a glimpe into what life would be like without full A-GPS... it sucks. I have bought THREE different GPS receivers for the computer in my car, and I have had issue-after-issue being able to get a lock. Sometimes it's hard even on bright, sunny days. If there's a single cloud in the sky, I'm pretty much SOL. sigh...

I find myself turning to the Pre more often, even though I have a custom-made $2000 CarPC, with all the bells and whistles.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Do a soft reset, orange key + sym key + "R" key. That's what I do when my GPS is acting up. I've used it in all sorts of conditions and it has worked great.
    Yeah, I was trying to use it in Houston today (we're having some pretty heavy cloud coverage too) and I couldn't get a GPS lock either. No big deal.