1.    #1  
    One has to wonder just how long it can/should take to offer a backup solution for our data we enter into the SplashId app on our Pre devices. Yes I know it is free but what, do we wait until Christmas, to get a backup solution? Meantime I guess part of my weekend tasks will be to go review my entries to determine/remember which have new passwords then go update a pc based database with that information.

Unreal....
    course if splashdata has provided a solution, or anyone know a work around then feel free to share since I may not know about it yet....

anyway, just grumbling really. Not having data backed up, espeically passwords, is not a good thing. Yeah I know too, I have complained about it in the past but man it is Sept and I see no post on the splashdata web site forum area saying a 'fix' is just around the corner. What am I missing here, is it not simply a file or group of files saved to the pre device and if so why could splashdata not tell us what they are to back them up in some manner via usb sync. I could live with that for now.
    Last edited by motor; 09/11/2009 at 06:39 AM.
    I agree.
    There is certainly an opportunity for a competitor to emerge. I am also getting frustrated with Splash Data and the bugs/missing features in their WebOS product.
    I imagine they have a full/completed version ready and waiting for the app catalog to come out of beta so they can charge for it. Aftet all, SplashID is NOT a free product on any other platform that I'm aware.

Right now everything in the catalog should really be considered beta.
    I ended up buying the desktop version and just using that to export to the Pre. It's a manual process ... you have to enter everything on the PC (which is easier than the Pre anyway) and then delete all entries on the Pre before importing. But at least I have two copies and all of my important data in both places.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    So the desktop version will not accept data from the Pre? Some of this stuff is ridiculous especially if you've paid for the desktop version. But I'm with everyone else, waiting on Splash ID to no longer work after 1.2. I've been saving things to my ipod touch. The desktop version may be worth it.
    I haven't done it, though I should, but it should be possible to figure out where the SplashID database is on the Pre and copy it off to the USB partition, which you could then copy to your computer. This would require access to Linux. Actually, someone could probably make a homebrew application that just does this. Or maybe it could be incorporated into WebOS Quick Install.

We should at least be able to back up the data and then restore it later (I think).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    So the desktop version will not accept data from the Pre?
    Right ... there's no sync from the Pre to the desktop. Right now it's a one-way street ... you can export from the desktop to the Pre. Works OK, just not as convenient as a real sync would be.

I suspect part of the delay is the current lack of file API's ... makes it more difficult to sync if you can't use the USB partition. But I like the product, they've promised to do sync, and the work around is OK for now.
    SplashID made the big mistake of not storing the database in /media/internal/.app-storage/ If they had you could make backups very easily in USB mode.

All of the better homebrew applications (such as Checkbook, and Shopping List) use this directory to store their databases and its very easy to make backups and recover from full erase resets.

My new personal rule is that I wont use any database application that does not store its data in the user accessible directory.

Besides I never really cared for Splash Data software anyway. Over priced for what it does. What we really need is a product like HandBase so we can make our own databases.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I suspect part of the delay is the current lack of file API's ... makes it more difficult to sync if you can't use the USB partition.
    The API's are already in the SDK for writing to /media/internal/.app-storage/

Splash ID is just poorly written.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I keep my Centro around in my gear bag as my SplashID backup. I've been using SplashID for PalmOS for a long time, so I'd like to support their WebOS efforts. HSAT, I agree with everyone's comments here. I'll switch if a better solution comes along.