1.    #1  
    I'm 99% sure the answer is "no," but I have to ask. My fiance just got a Palm Pre 2 weeks ago, and then had to accept a job for 1 year in South Korea. Because she'll be coming back to the US for break every few months, she decided to keep her service and just put it "on vacation" while she's gone.

She plans on getting a cell phone while in South Korea, but it occurred to me because of something posted in another thread, that much if not all of South Korea works on CDMA.

Does anybody know if it is possible to get the phone activated for use in South Korea and then switched back to sprint while in the states?

I'm not talking about doing anything permanent to the phone, just activation with another carrier.
    Here was someone here who got a Pre to nearly work on Verizon. I think he couldn't get data to work. That may have had something to do with Verizon, though.

So it's theoretically possible.

Sprint may also have international roaming agreements, so it may be worth discussing it with Sprint.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4.    #4  
    Wow, thanks for the fast responses. I'll have to run that link through a translator when I get home and see what it looks like.

She's pretty freaked out about the whole thing, as it came up on very short notice. Any little niceity would be a relief, even if it's just getting to take her phone with her.

Literally, she got laid off on the 2nd, and had a recruiter for this job that she had turned down a few months back called her out of the blue on the 7th and beg her to reconsider and take the job, so she took it she hops a plain to South Korea on the 24th, start work on the 26th.
  5. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I'm 99% sure the answer is "no," but I have to ask. My fiance just got a Palm Pre 2 weeks ago, and then had to accept a job for 1 year in South Korea. Because she'll be coming back to the US for break every few months, she decided to keep her service and just put it "on vacation" while she's gone.

She plans on getting a cell phone while in South Korea, but it occurred to me because of something posted in another thread, that much if not all of South Korea works on CDMA.

Does anybody know if it is possible to get the phone activated for use in South Korea and then switched back to sprint while in the states?

I'm not talking about doing anything permanent to the phone, just activation with another carrier.
    Have her contact SK Telecom, (they're basically the largest), and ask if they will activate non-company offered phones. If so, they can also help out with the activation instructions and such. Most likely, they will be able to activate it, foreign activation policies aren't as strict as they are here in the US.

When your fiance returns to the US, she can complete sprint's re activation process.. and vice versa... Now.. as far as actually getting it to work ... assuming SK telecom says it's ok.. that's a different story..

SK Telecom's numbers are as follows. (up to you to complete proper country code dialing)...

customer center
    080 252 5011

cell call service
    82 2 6343 9011
  6.    #6  
    Well, it looks like it won't work the way I'd like.

The translations are brutal to read, but it looks like getting it working properly would require flashing the ESN, and since this is temporary, that's not a good option for us.

Fortunately, I have at least 2 CDMA phones laying around that she could take instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Well, it looks like it won't work the way I'd like.

The translations are brutal to read, but it looks like getting it working properly would require flashing the ESN, and since this is temporary, that's not a good option for us.

Fortunately, I have at least 2 CDMA phones laying around that she could take instead.
    So this is confirmation that this CAN be done. If so that is great news. I am leaving in NOV to South Korea for 3 years and I am addicted to my PRE. Will all the features work?

Thanks,

Joe
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eodcrab View Post
    So this is confirmation that this CAN be done. If so that is great news. I am leaving in NOV to South Korea for 3 years and I am addicted to my PRE. Will all the features work?

Thanks,

Joe
    It appears that there have been a few people who got it to function fully in china and other places, and a lot of people have gotten it to function as a phone with no data unless they could get a WiFi signal.

If you're going to be gone for 3 years, you should start by calling SK Telecom, and try to get someone to activate the phone, and also trying to wade through that chinese forum link.
    I just tried to get SK Telecom to flash my ESN and put my Palm Pre onto their service and was informed they cannot do it. If anyone finds a work around please let me know.
    I'm using a Palm Pre CDMA in Vietnam. They (the hacker in Vietnam) unlocked it. I just go to the CDMA carrier and told them to add the number, it works great. you can contact me through this email address: precentral /at/ chanvn.com

However, it won't work with EDVO. you can use all other functions: call, sms, wifi...

I'm going to South Korea next year. Eodcrab, could you please contact SK Telecom again and ask them if it's possible to add their number to an unlocked phone? It just likes what they did with their brand new phone

by the way, do they have wifi connection everywhere in South Korea?
    SK Telecom sponsors proleague Starcraft WOOHOO!!!!
    I'm using a Palm Pre Plus GSM/3G in Korea

If you have any question, send e-mail to me
    <email address deleted by Mod>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/27/2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm here in South Korea myself. I have my Pre on me at the moment and don't feel like buying a new phone till the Pre 3. Are there any CDMA carriers that can make my Pre work?
    Quote Originally Posted by koyoteshinji View Post
    I'm using a Palm Pre Plus GSM/3G in Korea

If you have any question, send e-mail to me
    <email address deleted by Mod>
    Hi can you tell me more about the Pre2 and GSM/3g. who is the carrier will it receive and send data. i was under the impression that these phones would not work there?
    cheers, Chris