Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Just finished reading about Motorola's new Android phone, the Cliq, which has a landscape physical keyboard. Wouldn't it be great if Pre V.2.0, along with the other basic HW updates, had the exact same riverstone shape but simply went into landscape format? It would address two of the most critized issues of the Pre, and sacrifice stuff that I've never reallty heard users particularly crow about:

Downside:
    - one handed use (virtual KB in portrait anyone?)
    - "traditional" Treo physical layout (who cares? This doesn't affect usability like taking away something like the traditional ringer switch, for example.)

Upside:
    - more comfortable keyboard
    - reduced Oreo effect? (would setting the sliders wider apart stabilize?)

Personally, I miss the 5-way from the Treo and like how the Cliq has it, but hides all that button ugliness in a slider, but I understand that every HW migration makes it more difficult to developers. (Still, the directional pad still exists to manipulate the cursor when the orange or shift button is pressed...perhaps this could be compiled into the same system-wide API, not just for text boxes.)
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    I would just prefer a well developed Landscape virtual keyboard. Coming from the Centro to the Pre, I am both used to and prefer the portrait physical keyboard.
    I'd certainly consider it. While I really like the vertial orientation on the Treo keyboards, the shrunken one on the Pre (and the Pixi?) are not nearly as convenient nor easy to type on. Computers all come with horizontal keyboards and screens, so why not phones?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Landscape keyboards suck. period.
    I've had a landscape phone for 2 years, it's fine but I would just think the pre needs a virtual landscape keyboard in addition to the portrait.
    I have got pretty big hands and one of the things I hated most about the touch pro was the landscape keyboard. Hell to the no on the landscape.
    Cliq.....BAH...i looked and read the specs on it and it literally STINKS. Resistive touch screen...old technology. Motorola used to lead the market...something went terribly wrong.

Pre though it has issues, it STILL far more ahead of the times then that Cliq phone is. One fine example is the keyboard. Most side sliders have 4 rows now with numbers...why the hell does the Cliq only have 3? Most people like that 4th row. My wife loves the Samsung Rant for the nice keyboard.

As a Pre user that phone is a major DOWNGRADE. If youre interested in changing phones at least get a HTC Touch Pro 2
    I did not feel comfortable with a landscape slider with Android. When I wanted to use the keyboard, it was like, a chore.

I don't feel that way with pre, but it may because I have been a Treo for many years.

Maybe they could do it like the tail gate on the 60's Buicks and Pontiancs where they could slide vertically or horizontally lol
    Palm kind of painted themselves into a corner with this. They can't release a webos phone with a slide out landscape keyboard.

The reason is there is no app requirement that apps must function in landscape mode, and even most of their apps don't work in landscape mode (such as the messaging app). So therefore, any WebOS phone without a good means to type while in portrait mode will be gimped for a lot of apps.
    Or maybe when the Pre was open, the top of the shell could rotate 90 degress lol
    Landscape is just the wrong form factor for a phone. Case in point HTC Touch. Has to be the worst form factor ever. I cant stand them. I'm so glad that Palm did not go this route.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    As a person that used a landscape slider for two years. I don’t think landscape sliders are functional for phones. This is because almost all phone open or are unlocked in portrait. Therefore, you have to turn the phone to type anything. While this may seem small and trivial, turning your phone twenty times a day just to type a text gets annoying at least for me.
    As for the argument of an onscreen keyboard for short text and the landscape keyboard for long emails, I would agree with you. Except I believe most people prefer to read in portrait instead of landscape, so most people would still have to turn their phone to type a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenRD View Post
    Therefore, you have to turn the phone to type anything. While this may seem small and trivial, turning your phone twenty times a day just to type a text gets annoying at least for me.
    Not to mention the time it takes the phone to recognize that you've slid out the keyboard and rotate the on-screen image to landscape mode. Which can be VERY slow on a Winmo device.
  14. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    If you want to keep the same form factor, making a larger keyboard and redesigning the slider mechanicals might cut into the volume available for the electronics and battery and stuff.

Just sayin'
    xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Not to mention the time it takes the phone to recognize that you've slid out the keyboard and rotate the on-screen image to landscape mode. Which can be VERY slow on a Winmo device.
    Great point. My HTC mogul would take like 30 seconds to switch. Sometimes it never did. So i would have to default to the touchscreen keyboard, or look really weird turning my head to see the screen in portrait while typing in landscape.

However, I don't think this would be a huge problem with the Pre as it switches form landscape to portrait pretty fast. There still is a lag though.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Or maybe when the Pre was open, the top of the shell could rotate 90 degress lol
    This was actually a proto-type that was originally looked at but decided against because of the way it looked(prob moved too far away from the Palm design) and more hardware issues. There is a photo around somewhere.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Thet photo was a photoshop job I'm pretty syre.
    Like many others, I don't want a landscape physical keyboard. Had a Touch Pro, and took it back because it can't be used one handed.

One handed thumb typing on Treo / Centro / Pre has always been a big plus for me.

A virtual keyboard that would go portrait or landscape sure would be nice though.
    I came from a landscape keyboard and I really relish having a portrait one. It's so much easier for heavy texting not having to be constantly rotating the phone around back and forth every time. I much prefer the portrait keyboard.. I rarely rotate into landscape. Only for viewing videos, really.
    I've used landscape KB's with both the 6700 and the Touch Pro. (My wife has a Rant and my son has a Rumor, landscape sliders both).

I much prefer the vertical slider, but it probably is a good idea for a landscape slider to be one possible form factor, as they are very common and there would certainly be a market for it.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast