Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know, I know, there is plenty of threads about palm pre issues out there and probably on this site as a whole. However, i thought that I would add a little something that just happened to my palm pre.

Two days ago I was out and about in an area that had little reception. However, I had regular internet via WiFi. So all day long I played on the phone as I do everyday. You know, learning all the details I could. So i get done with my work day and head back to go to sleep for the night. Before I go to sleep I decide that I am going to work out a little bit. During this time, I set the phone on the charger directly after playing a game of Sudoku, as like I stated earlier, I was in an area that had little reception.

I get back from the work out and go to pick up the phone to try to find some signal. I find some signal and try to open the dialer app to make a phone call. I'm tapping and tapping, and what do you know? Nothing happens. So I immediately restart the phone via the Orange, Sym, R reset. The phone resets, good to know that the hardware still works. I wait and wait, we all know the boot up time kind of sucks in that area. Finally the phone is restarted. So of course, still fresh in my mind that the touch wasn't working before, I attempt to open the launcher window. Again nothing. I type on the keyboard and of course the universal search opens. Good, that still works. So I swipe in the gesture area to remove the universal switch.

Dang, nothing happens, the lights don't work and the gesture isn't recognized. Okay, okay, slow down and try to restart again, only this time remove the battery. So I remove the battery, wait 30 seconds, and put the battery back in. I am waiting again, trying to figure out what I did to the phone. I haven't dropped it, and have actually babied the phone because I am so proud of it. (I LOVE LINUX). So the phone restarts finally and I try to swipe. Mind you the little silver button works still. No luck. Touch screen working .... nope.

Okay, maybe I just have to wait a little while. I go to sleep with the battery left out of the device. Six hours later I wake up. Of course the first thing I do is put the battery in the phone and let it boot up. Still nothing.

Okay, I already have dev-mode on, and maybe all of the mods I have added is causing an issue, I'll reset the phone to factory settings. Having doing so already the day prior because I was trying to make the dialer app transparent and screwed up the voicemail and call-list buttons without saving a backup. I hook the phone up to my computer and start the WebOS Doctor again. It connects and starts doing it's business. 54% it waits and waits and then says, unable to reset your device. Okay, okay, maybe I bumped something on accident, try it again. Same exact thing. Okay, pull the battery out, put it back in while holding the volume up key. Nope, same thing with the WebOS Doctor. Okay, redownload webOS doctor and try the program 3 more times with redownload as per palms directions. Same problem.

Alright, now I know there is something wrong that I can't fix at my end. Angry as I was, I was glad to know that I could give the phone a little boost under normal circumstances, but now I have a legitimate problem. So I start searching the internet for Palm Pre touchscreen issues. I saw a few and thought, cool, I get to get a new phone and not have to place a claim. So I go to the local Sprint Service and Repair center. They take the phone and within 30 seconds (literally) look at the phone and tell me that It is something that I did to the phone. I didn't notice, but apparently there was a crack in the upper right part of the phone and it was unrepairable. Again, I have never dropped the phone. They tell me sometimes that happens, and if you don't report the crack within the first 30 days of having the phone, it's as if I did it myself.

I looked at the guy, and told him I thought it was a part of the phone. Like I said, it was in the upper right hand corner. I knew about the mirror and assumed this crack was how the mirror was held in. (it seriously was that small). So, like I said I didn't notice, I had seen it, but didn't really think of it as a crack. This crack was in the Black part on the side but top right of the phone near where the mirror sits.

So I got it, and my bad, now I know better. However, what this means is if you have a crack, don't wait too long to get it fixed (the black is supposed to be completely smooth. The Touchscreen sensors sit inside the "shell" obviously, but if it has a crack you can imagine it like a windshield chip. If it is left alone, heat and cold will eventually get the best of the phone, plus in the phones case, use, and spider out into tinier and longer cracks until it is no longer usable.

I paid my hundred dollars and my new phone should arrive tomorrow, but please use, if not anything else, the above paragraph before you "brick" your phone. Most of the stuff sits behind the screen itself (according to this repair guy) which is why it would also no longer recieve the webOS Doctor image. I love the Pre, and hope that this does not become a common problem. Hopefully this helps you out. Oh, be weary of Sprint guys and the Retail guys. When I initially got in and turned the phone in to the repair guy, he just told me he had already dropped two, so when you get your phone, make sure the guy has rubber fingertips as opposed to butter.
    MAAAAN I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM JUST NOW, EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS ON MY PRE ECCEPT MY TOUCHSCREEN. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING I CALLED SPRING N THEY SAID I HAVE TO TAKE IT TO THE REPAIR CENTER. I LOVE MY PRE. I DO EVERYTHING ON IT, AND DAM I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO TO FIX IT I DONT WANT TO WAIT TIL MONDAY TO TAKE TO THE REPAIR CENTER CAUSE IS SATURDAY THATS A LONG WAY FROM TODAY ANYBODY HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS
    I have 3 suggestions. 1 is for the OP, 2 is for mastacontrola, and #3 is for both of you.

1. Write shorter posts.
    2. Turn off your caps lock.
    3. Call sprint and have your phone replaced. If you got your phone and brick and mortar store and not mailed to you by sprint, all you should need to do is go back to the store you got it from. They'll take 1 look and see that the touchscreen has failed and swap it out most likely.
  4.    #4  
    I know it was a long post, but I just wanted to explain the whole situation. I already recieved my "new" phone. It is a refurbished one and the screen has a blochy spot on it, but I recieved on friday and reactivated it already. Sorry about the length.
    You don't need to apologize. I don't run the place.

I was just trying to offer advice. When you want help on a forum, any forum, the two work things a person can do are write a ridiculously long post, or write in all caps.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I just found that my Pre's touchscreen also just stopped working. I have had the phone for a total of 2 days...I just exchanged it from my original pre because it was within my first 30 days, and my first pre had a really loose slider and some dead pixels. This one was absolutely perfect...but now I can't do anything on the touch screen. Naturally, I'm past by 30 days (by 1 day of course.) I have TEP, but I really don't want to change this phone, everything is actually perfect except for the touchscreen dying about 15 minutes ago. Is there anything at all I can do to fix this?
  7.    #7  
    Try popping out the battery and putting it back in but if that doesn't work you should still be able to replace the phone without tep claimas long as the repair center shows there was no fault of yoy. Mine originally had a crack on it and I didn't realize it. When I turned the phone in they said I mustve done something which is why I had to use tep
    Quote Originally Posted by mastacontrola View Post
    Try popping out the battery and putting it back in but if that doesn't work you should still be able to replace the phone without tep claimas long as the repair center shows there was no fault of yoy.

+1 With TEP or without, a touchscreen failure without mechanical damage is a simple warranty return.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    @ Demodcus

I would take the phone back to the store for a replacement, after 30 days the manufacturers warranty will kick in, the sprint store will replace it.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    when the screen goes, you can't remove unapproved apps. has sprint refused to replace a phone because of the loaded app.
    You should be able to hook up with WebOS quick install and get all the apps off.. oh wait, you can't get it into dev mode..
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Don't I know it. At least I couldn't.
  13.    #13  
    To allow webOS doctor to work without being in dev mode, pop out battery, hook USB cable to phone, Hold the Up on the volume button, and put the battery back in, you will see the USB symbol and it will allow it to write. My old phone wouldn't accept a full image, only got to 54% and then would fail, but it was enough to erase my unapproved apps. This will reset the phone back to defaults though and you will lose everything, the touchscreen already isn't working so it really doesn't matter how you reset the phone you know?.
    Last edited by mastacontrola; 09/17/2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Misread
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    WOrks fine for getting into usb model, but computer wont recognise and asks for driver software
    my palm pre does not show the battery or time but just a white bar along the top of the phone screen, and now it wont tell me when i get messages and etc. is there anyone who could help me or that has any ideas?
    I just went to the sprint store for my palm pre. I had dropped it and the screen stopped working. My phone looked perfect due to the case and care I'd given it. Because I was within the first 30 days they are ordering me a replacement. I have a ton of homebrewed apps on my phone and I had no problems with them. I only assume because they couldn't fix the screen they didn't find out about it. So if that's why they don't replace it, just try another sprint.
    Help-my touchscreen stopped working and my major concern is not losing my Pics! Pre support wanted to run WebOS Dr but advised i'd lose pics. I need to be able to somehow save pics! Thanks
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    My touchscreen went also. I could not swipe to unlock or pull up launcher. Ended up getting a replacement ( refurb) from Sprint. Please explain why, when its a mfg. defect , I get a refurb instead of new. Also, BACK UP EVERYTHING. Guy at store didn't even offer to transfer pics, ringtones ect from old Pre. Heros lookin nice about now
    Quote Originally Posted by mspadaccin View Post
    Help-my touchscreen stopped working and my major concern is not losing my Pics! Pre support wanted to run WebOS Dr but advised i'd lose pics. I need to be able to somehow save pics! Thanks
    If you plug your phone in to your PC through a USB connection, wait until it asks you which option you want, use the key combination Orange+Sym+U and it will select the USB option. You can then save all your pics. Hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    If you plug your phone in to your PC through a USB connection, wait until it asks you which option you want, use the key combination Orange+Sym+U and it will select the USB option. You can then save all your pics. Hope that helps!
    Just the info I was looking for. Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast