Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hello everyone,
    Not sure if the Touchscreen issues still exist. From my observation the problem is a loose connection (mini USB on the phone). When the phone is plug- -in to the USB on both the computer and phone the touch screen works. When the phone side only is plugged in the touch screen works. My fix is to gently rock the phone side usb left to right when pulling it out. The problem occurs from either pulling the cable to hard from the phone. Web Doctor, restoring back to factory configuration will NOT fix this issue. I've tried.
    The Orange + Sym + U saved my wife's pictures. I will now be here hero but will give you full credit. Thank you so much. I don't have insurance on her pre so the 300.00 bucks I spent 2 months ago down the drain.

Thanks again.

Steven
    I picked up my warranty replacement 2 days ago. I just have finished getting all my apps and music back on it and BAM! No touch screen. Iíve checked battery connections, and nuked and paved the phone. Now itís at the select language screen and I have no way of getting past it. New phone is on the way, it just sucks it happened on Friday. Now I have no phone all weekend. Itís seems like this is a common issue. Iíve had it happen once before on a different Pre and Web OS Doctorís nuke and pave fixed it. I love the format of the phone and plan to stay with it. Itís a new platform for Palm so Iím sure they will get it worked out soon. Good luck to anyone having this problem!
    I simply punch my phone when the screens touch feature stops working, 9 times out of 10 it starts working fine again. Sometimes just beating on electronics that **** you off is the best bet. You might want to start gently though, it seems like the moving parts inside cause a lot of loose connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by mastacontrola View Post
    I know it was a long post, but I just wanted to explain the whole situation. I already recieved my "new" phone. It is a refurbished one and the screen has a blochy spot on it, but I recieved on friday and reactivated it already. Sorry about the length.
    You should not have had to pay the $100 deductable. You should have called Sprint, and insisted they replace the phone. If they refused, next call should have been to Palm. I don't think you would have had to go that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmillard1 View Post
    I simply punch my phone when the screens touch feature stops working, 9 times out of 10 it starts working fine again. Sometimes just beating on electronics that **** you off is the best bet. You might want to start gently though, it seems like the moving parts inside cause a lot of loose connections.
    That's exactly what has happened to me.
    Touchstone is the best solution to avoid this happen on your Pre. Heavy activities on Plug and unplug the usb cable to charge your Pre make this problem occured very frequently.
    Even personally I can't say that touchstone is 100% safe for your Pre due to overheat problem when charging. But still overheat problem on touchstone when charging still far easier to handle by put external fan close to your pre when docked on touchstone or charge your pre using touchstone on cool atmosphere.
    got frustrated with touchscreen and head phone issues. moving on to iPhone4, maybe next time HPalm.
    hold the keyboard and bend the screen towards you with some pressure hopefully not snapping it. Hold it upside down and shake it a bit. This worked for me tonight. Trying to keep this pre going til a new device. Same pre since september and it's beat to hell but still working... My touchscreen was totally dead I was getting depressed I have no money or time right now to f around replacing this phone plus I love it.

update. This works until I put it on the charger, then the screen dies again immediately. What a mess.
    Last edited by joedisaster; 10/16/2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmillard1 View Post
    I was getting frustrated with the Pre not responding alll day.. I tried all the other suggestions above, I read this one and was like I don't want to kill my Pre lol... But sure 'enuf, I took my actual palm and smacked the non-reponsive 'Palm' across the screen and all functionality returned!

I want to thank you, but I still wouldn't want to tell others to do it (just doesn't seem right, lol).. But I was out of choices; I cancelled ins. when upgrade came available in july and not knowing when new phone was coming.. But a good whack and my Pre was back!!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    This started happening to my phone last night...I've had a Pre since (sprint) launch day and had it replaced once about 6 months ago because it was dropping signal...

Last night, I sat the phone down on my desk after texting my wife and when I picked it up to read her reply the screen wasn't working anymore.

Reading this thread had me worried becuase my phone also has a crack in the top right (next to the power button) as a result of me dropping it the same day I got my replacement phone 6mo ago. It had always worked so I didn't think anything of it...wasn't looking forward to paying to have it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Touchstone is the best solution to avoid this happen on your Pre.
    I've used a touchstone exclusively for about a year...I've never even plugged this phone into anything using the usb.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlcarpenterjr View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Not sure if the Touchscreen issues still exist. From my observation the problem is a loose connection (mini USB on the phone). When the phone is plug- -in to the USB on both the computer and phone the touch screen works. When the phone side only is plugged in the touch screen works. My fix is to gently rock the phone side usb left to right when pulling it out. The problem occurs from either pulling the cable to hard from the phone. Web Doctor, restoring back to factory configuration will NOT fix this issue. I've tried.
    This problem certainly still exists...

I tried your advice about pulling the plug out while rocking it....accompanied with this...

Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    hold the keyboard and bend the screen towards you with some pressure hopefully not snapping it.
    And it started working again...

At work right now so I can't put it back on the charger right now...to see if it starts failing like Joe's.

Hopefully I can keep it running until my contract expires and I'll switch to verizon and get me a Pre2...

edit-back to not working again...tried doing the above tricks again but they didn' work this time....guess I'll head over to the sprint store on my lunch break and see what they have to say for me...*fingers crossed*

edit2 - just got the phone replaced by sprint over my lunch hour. No questions asked other than "we might not be able to restore your photos and downloads, is that ok?" No replacement cost. They didn't even mention the visible chunk of the case missing near the power button.
    Last edited by kinar; 10/21/2010 at 12:17 PM.
    I reaallly love my pre...but I have had many problems over several months including loose screws, screen cracks, headset not working. However, today the touchscreen stopped working.... I read the posts on this page and similarly tried doing everything from restarting removing battery etc... I don't recommend this, especially if covered under warranty, but I got really frustrated and so I closed the slider on my phone really hard several times and also slammed the phone down on a table once. I know this is bad but.... Miraculously, everything has started working!!!
    I have a similar touchscreen issue... but a little different. After I unlock my screen, the touchscreen will work for a few seconds... or as long as I continue touching the screen. If I stop touching the screen, the touchscreen stops working. I can then press power... power again and unlock and it will work again... until I stop pressing the screen. The gesture area doesn't work... however the silver ball continues to work no matter what.

I have reset the phone several times. Took the battery out for a couple minutes and replaced it. Still same problem... any ideas for a fix!?!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12