Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I first got my Pre, I was plagued with the same power issues everyone had. So, I turned off everything I could, turned down everything I could, and plugged it in whenever I could. This did pretty well.

THEN those G-ds and G-desses of LINUX revealed the ancient art of CPU Scaling, and all was good. On a day of medium to heavy use, I could easily take the phone off the charger around 7:30 or 8am, run it without topping off, and easily still have 40% by 11:30pm or 12am

In the last week or so, since I lost the battle with my Pre to keep it from updating itself from 1.0.4 to 1.1, I have noticed a remarkable drop in power consumption.

First, let me say, that I have multiple batteries, and switch them out as needed, so the issue is not the battery.

And, I have performed some of the tweaks and stuff recently, adding the virtual keyboard (which also coincided with my increased power consumption so I took it off to see if it was the culprit), went to 4x4 for my icon layout, added % battery meter, hid NFL and NASCAR, and added a few apps, mostly speed dialer apps that I hardly use.

Early last week, I would run for 14 hours or more, and still have around 40%. By end of last week, I killed my battery in a two hour period, checking a few emails, then talking for 1.5 hours.

Yesterday, I lost 10% in a half hour, just moving icons around where I wanted them. Yesterday, I lost around 10% an hour, creating a new launch page and putting launchpad icons on it (I deleted them, because the slightest touch would start them dialing). I then lost around 10% an hour, when barely using the device.

Today, I had the phone down to 40% by 5pm. Again, normally, I have 40% left by 11pm. That's a 6 hour reduction in performance.

I did everything I could to optimize performance, and the thing ran like a champ for quite some time. My usage has NOT increased, yet I have jumped from 60-70% utilization in a 14 hour period, to the same in a 6-10 hour period.

What gives?

Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 09/10/2009 at 10:42 PM.
    I too have the same issue as of late. Always have two extra batteries near by. Think I just might go for the bigger battery now. Then I will have to mod the new back so I can still use the touchstone at night....maybe not. Ugg....
    same here, haven't had a day in about a week that my phone hasn't gone dead on me.
    Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    The battery on the Pre is garbage. Point blank, period. Other than that the phone rocks! But this battery is hands down the worst of any phone I've owned. And that ranges from the HTC Touch Pro, HTC Mogul, Palm 800W, Palm 850W, Blackberry Tour (Which has an awesome battery for a smart phone), Samsung Instinct, and HTC Touch Diamond....

The Pre is the worst out of all of them...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    The battery on the Pre is garbage. Point blank, period. Other than that the phone rocks! But this battery is hands down the worst of any phone I've owned. And that ranges from the HTC Touch Pro, HTC Mogul, Palm 800W, Palm 850W, Blackberry Tour (Which has an awesome battery for a smart phone), Samsung Instinct, and HTC Touch Diamond....

The Pre is the worst out of all of them...
    QFT

battery is absurdly undersized. if you have anything less than perfect signal coverage 24 hours, your battery depletes rapidly. if you have perfect signal coverage 24 hours day, your battery depletes slightly less than rapidly.

it stinks
    Fully agree. No rocket science there.
    Just saw the new battery monitor app, guess I'll play with this till i upgrade my battery.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    Just saw the new battery monitor app, guess I'll play with this till i upgrade my battery.
    battery monitor app?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    hmm virtual keyboard app huh, i also installed tha, i wonder if it, or preware or something, mayyyyy be causing a background process to kill the battery, as, well, i have the double life battery, and suddenly, its not so double anymore
    I've had the same problem. I've always had less than perfect service but my battery life always seemed adequate, even after WebOS 1.1. My battery would be a little less than 50% at around 10PM with very light use. A little more than a week ago, this changed. My battery now goes down to that by 1PM, and unless I charge it in the afternoon it doesn't last the day.

This started after I installed some of the tweaks on WebOS quick install. Maybe there is a memory leak being created? I have also noticed my phone getting more laggy especially when I unlock the screen. The lag goes down after a few minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    battery monitor app?
    It's new it the hombrew catalog....called BatteryMonitor
    I never thought of a memoey leak. If the is I wonder how to check other then dropping apps.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    id love to remove the V-keyboard i never use, but preware isnt working for me right now :/
    since we both sighted that as a parameter *shrug*
    Not sure if this is accurate but I think some of the Sprint apps are updating in the background.

Maybe?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YBCold View Post
    Not sure if this is accurate but I think some of the Sprint apps are updating in the background.

Maybe?
    nah, this has been happening too much for me, and i have the double life, i unplugged, was unplugged less than an hour, talked for 5 min [literally] and sent 20 texts and was down to 95%, it used to stay at 100 for hours.
    i doubt sprint updates -that- much
    In the past week I have noticed that I can't go a whole day without recharging - at one point about a month ago I went at least a day, sometimes two.

I don't know if it's Google calendar syncing, or the virtual keyboard, or what - I would like to have some kind of Task Manager (and resource manager) to tell me what's running, even if I don't see it.
    Same issues here too. Off the charger at 9am... and by 5pm the phone barely has enough juice.

A few weeks ago - I wouldn't have to charge the phone til midnight... but now it goes on the Touchstone as soon as I get home at 5:30pm.

I'm using the original Palm battery.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Same issues here too. Off the charger at 9am... and by 5pm the phone barely has enough juice.

A few weeks ago - I wouldn't have to charge the phone til midnight... but now it goes on the Touchstone as soon as I get home at 5:30pm.

I'm using the original Palm battery.
    any notable changes in software or patches?
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    battery is absurdly undersized. if you have anything less than perfect signal coverage 24 hours, your battery depletes rapidly. if you have perfect signal coverage 24 hours day, your battery depletes slightly less than rapidly.

You know, I went 10 years from my first cell phone to when I finally bought the pre, which is my first "smart phone."

Until now, I have ALWAYS had a 'basic' cell phone and a separate PDA, most of them have been PPC/WM, but 2 were palm OS.

One of the things that kept me from getting a smart phone until now was all the reports of bad battery life, until I came to a realization, and it's so simple.

People have complained about the battery life on every multi-media capable smart phone ever made. All of them. Google any smartphone you want and the word "battery" and you'll find an endless parade of people crying.

There's an old saying about mechanics, carpenters and tradespeople in general that goes, "Good, fast or cheap. Pick two."

A similar idea can be applied to smart phones, "High performance, compact size, good battery life. Pick two."

The technology simply doesn't exist to make a device that does every thing the pre can do, that is still the size of the Pre, and gets the kind of battery life people seem to expect.

You can't do it.

Have you seen what the Pre looks like with the super-sized batteries and bulged out battery covers? Stick wheels on it and it would look like a volkswagon. Thanks, but no-thanks.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 09/11/2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added quote for threading clarity.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    thanks for the helpfull post, i HAVE the supersized battery, and were discussing performance that does not stay consistant.. ie: it WAS one way, and a week later, it isnt.. were not arguing whether the pre consumes more battery than a non smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    You know, I went 10 years from my first cell phone to when I finally bought the pre, which is my first "smart phone."

Until now, I have ALWAYS had a 'basic' cell phone and a separate PDA, most of them have been PPC/WM, but 2 were palm OS.

One of the things that kept me from getting a smart phone until now was all the reports of bad battery life, until I came to a realization, and it's so simple.

People have complained about the battery life on every multi-media capable smart phone ever made. All of them. Google any smartphone you want and the word "battery" and you'll find an endless parade of people crying.

There's an old saying about mechanics, carpenters and tradespeople in general that goes, "Good, fast or cheap. Pick two."

A similar idea can be applied to smart phones, "High performance, compact size, good battery life. Pick two."

The technology simply doesn't exist to make a device that does every thing the pre can do, that is still the size of the Pre, and gets the kind of battery life people seem to expect.

You can't do it.

Have you seen what the Pre looks like with the super-sized batteries and bulged out battery covers? Stick wheels on it and it would look like a volkswagon. Thanks, but no-thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast