Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bscabl View Post
    thanks for the helpfull post, i HAVE the supersized battery, and were discussing performance that does not stay consistant.. ie: it WAS one way, and a week later, it isnt.. were not arguing whether the pre consumes more battery than a non smartphone.

My bad. I forgot that not everybody views the forum threaded so they can see who people are responding to without having to quote every message.

If you looked at the threading you'd see that I was responding directly to dead78's comment about how absurdly undersized the battery of the Pre is and how it can't last a full day unless you have perfect signal coverage.

I'll edit my previous message to include a quote and prevent any more confusion.

As far as the change in battery life, it's quite disconcerting.

I'm curious if there are other changes to your routine that you might have overlooked. Perhaps this is a matter of deciding to keep an eye on battery life and all the extra battery status checks are eating up extra battery a little at a time.

Beyond that, I haven't a clue, but I'll keep an eye on this thread for future reference in case anybody comes up with anything interesting.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    sorry

routine hasnt changed, which is why i was thinking patch or app..
    i wish we could just pinpoint it, we cant -all- have bad batteries
    [since a bad battery would explain the sudden change]

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    My bad. I forgot that not everybody views the forum threaded so they can see who people are responding to without having to quote every message.

If you looked at the threading you'd see that I was responding directly to dead78's comment about how absurdly undersized the battery of the Pre is and how it can't last a full day unless you have perfect signal coverage.

I'll edit my previous message to include a quote and prevent any more confusion.

As far as the change in battery life, it's quite disconcerting.

I'm curious if there are other changes to your routine that you might have overlooked. Perhaps this is a matter of deciding to keep an eye on battery life and all the extra battery status checks are eating up extra battery a little at a time.

Beyond that, I haven't a clue, but I'll keep an eye on this thread for future reference in case anybody comes up with anything interesting.
    Well, "all" having the issue makes bad batteries makes it less likely, but not impossible. There's an effect on web forums like this where only people with the same problem tend to take part in a discussion, so every problem looks more common than it is.

I'm thinking hard about this one, and the only solution I can come up with really sucks, but should work.

1. Do a WebOSDoctor and use your Pre for a full day to see what happens with the battery with nothing installed except the default and stuff from the official app store.

2. Then install all of you other applications and patches one or two at a time, and use the phone for a full day after each.

3. When the battery life suddenly tanks, you know it's one of the things you 'just' installed.

Obviously this could take a couple of weeks to sort out, and is a huge PitA, but it would work. The only other option would be for everybody with this problem to post a list of every single change they've made to their phone other than installing 1.1

If enough people with the problem post, and post accurately, a pattern may develop.
    double post.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 09/11/2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: double post removal.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    well i just ripped out the virtual kb.. cuz that was one of my most recent changes, i havent had the double life batt that long, only a month.. and it didnt 'tank' until a week ago.. i can trace the date back to 2-3 weeks ago based on that.. if killing the vkeyboard doesnt do it, im gonna remove the preware and service that goes along with it.. and see .. im thinking maybe that "service" uses a lot of cpu cycles? [the one that is required for preware], as i did that and the virtual kb the same day, less than a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Well, "all" having the issue makes bad batteries makes it less likely, but not impossible. There's an effect on web forums like this where only people with the same problem tend to take part in a discussion, so every problem looks more common than it is.

I'm thinking hard about this one, and the only solution I can come up with really sucks, but should work.

1. Do a WebOSDoctor and use your Pre for a full day to see what happens with the battery with nothing installed except the default and stuff from the official app store.

2. Then install all of you other applications and patches one or two at a time, and use the phone for a full day after each.

3. When the battery life suddenly tanks, you know it's one of the things you 'just' installed.

Obviously this could take a couple of weeks to sort out, and is a huge PitA, but it would work. The only other option would be for everybody with this problem to post a list of every single change they've made to their phone other than installing 1.1

If enough people with the problem post, and post accurately, a pattern may develop.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    my battery seems to have gotten better if anything. Im not sure what the complaining about the battery is all about. Ive been off the charger since 8am this morning. It is 12:30am now. thats 14 and half hours. im happy to report ive got 35% batt remaining. At work my signal goes from none to roaming occassionally too. I must admit however my talking minutes today were maybe at like 20 minutes max though. But i used the internet to visit roughly 25 different pages, checked emails, downloaded 3 apps. I wish you all could replicate my experience.
    I have been fighting this since I got the phone a few weeks ago. Love the phone, hate the battery.

Finally, I was so frustrated, I went to the Sprint store. The guy said he knew there were a bunch of bad batteries out there. They were swapping them out, but were currently out of stock. He gave me a second battery to use, also not one of the good ones. I still thought it was a real decent thing to do. The battery they gave me definitely is better than my original battery, but still not acceptable. I need to get a full day from one of these and I'm not close. I lost 20% battery life overnight in airplane mode. Sheesh!

I have little to no reception at home and I know that is a big issue. The Pre is worse than the Treo it replaced as far as reception, certainly as far as battery life. But the Pre is so slick... I just have to find a way to make this better. When 1.2 comes out, I'm going to start a serious push into solving this before my 30 days is up. If I can't make it better, I reluctantly will have to return the phone because it has to perform as a reliable phone first and foremost!
    I just got a Pre 3 days ago. I get up and unplug the phone at 5:30am, and for the first two days I was down to 20-30% after lunch. I essentially did not use the phone at all, as I am at work. That being said, reception here is pretty poor at work and the Pre was searching and switching between EVDO, 1x, and roam a lot.

Yesterday I did a few things:
    1. I updated my PRL which is now at 60653. I did not check the version before so I am not sure if that is a change, and I also updated my network settings. This seems to have given me better reception.
    2. I turned on Data Roam. Not sure if this helped with reception, but I now see EV R sometimes.
    3. I think this is the big one: I enabled CPU scaling, as found on this forum, with the default settings. This means I am only going down to 250Mhz when idle.
    4. Regarding Virtual Keyboard: I installed that the night I got the phone and removed it yesterday.

With these changes, I am still at 55% battery after lunch and had more usage. (I played Blocked for about 30 minutes at lunch and viewed a few web pages.)

I am going to see if these changes allow me to go an entire day: 5:30am to 10:30pm.
    If not, the next step is to try reducing idle CPU frequency to 125Mhz.

I hope this information helps.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Virtual kb def has something to do with it..tho its not back where it was its notably better
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12