Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    My phones powe rbutton lie died the other day. It is flat... and hard to turn off or press.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    well im planning on that but ill be dammed if they give me a refurb unit...i bought a new unit 18 days ago....i wont take less than another new phone....not at $299.99
    just ask them for a new one and not refurbished , but from the people i have talked to the refurbished are generally better than the non, because they know what the problems are and directly fix all the issues the phone had or could of had. so its your call.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    my power button don't work either.. Will sprint still give me a new pre even if I have multiple scratches on it?
    mine had a few dings and they gave a refurb no problem, the refurb is much better quality than my original, better keyboard and battery compartment. Just remove any homebrew apps so they don't say you voided warrenty
    Last edited by lite blue; 10/03/2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Until now I have been quite lucky, I haven't had many problems. (weeks shy of launch day Pre) Well around a month ago I dropped my ph, I was in a hurry with a bunch of things in my hand and went to set a few things down and ph rings... slip ph hits floor. From that point its been hard to press my power button, but it still worked. Last night it quit, so I popped the button out of my Pre & another Pre I have, and noticed that the trouble Pre was missing a VERY small dot on the gold foil switch. My fix.... I took some silicone and a jewelers screwdriver, and touched the tab that makes contact with the foil switch. This created a soft "extension" to the button so it would make contact with the switch again.
    I was a proud supporter of Palm, HP
    WebOS running on the Palm Pre, Pixi, and now the TouchPad.

Amazon =
    after having soooo many problems with my launch day pre, and none of which sprint would replace for free even though i have the $7 insurance, my power button gave out yesterday and they are ordering me a new one free of charge. this is perfect because i was starting to really hate this phone as the touchscreen became unresponsive, and there was no way i'd be paying the $100 deductible for another outdated palm pre that has tons of problems... especially with CES coming up. hopefully the new one can last a couple months and then i'll upgrade. i have been planning on waiting for a new webOS device which is why i passed on the evo, but at this rate i'm not a believer in HP.
    This has happened to me twice. (I've had my Pre since maybe 2 months after launch day.) The first time I had dropped the phone, but the second time it just stopped working spontaneously. Both times I brought it to the local Sprint repair center and they fixed it --i.e., didn't replace the whole phone -- in 20 minutes. I wish my local Sprint store had service that good. So it turns out that paying that stupid $7 per month for insurance was probably worth it.
    I had the same issue with both my wife's phone and mine. I fixed both with a tiny piece of rubber band. They are as good as new. Search for the solution here in the forums. There is a great thread on how to fix it. Very easy to do.
    Hi liv4rc51,

Like your power button, mine has become hard to press It feels if it is stuck and I have to use a fingernail to push it in.

Would you please explain how the power button is pulled?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Hi liv4rc51,

Like your power button, mine has become hard to press It feels if it is stuck and I have to use a fingernail to push it in.

Would you please explain how the power button is pulled?
    Just slide the button out, gently, with your fingernail, a small screwdriver, fingernail file or whatever.

Pop in a piece of rubberband, eraser, or whatever you repair item of choice, then pop the button back in and see if it works.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the right size for it to work.

And I just want to say, there is no way people should have this kind of problem, with what SHOULD BE, such a high end phone.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    My ATT Pre + seems to have contracted the power button plague. In my case the button no longer functions to lock or unlock the screen, and the phone is now randomly popping up the power off/airplane/cancel screen (as if the power button had been held down.

I've explored the rubber band solution but it is NOT working for me (with the plastic piece removed, actuating the actual electronic switch with the tip of a toothpick results in . . . nothing.

I, too, am disheartened with this. I use the phone a LOT (10+ HOURS over 150+ calls last month, just for work, and that very close to my 200 mb plan limit of data/sms msgs). My last 'feature' phone - a samsung went through HELL with me as an electrical contractor for over 4 years without a hiccup.

I'm going to put the SIM back in the Centro for now. Maybe hang out for a while and watch as the Pre 2 builds a track record . . .
    time is but the stream I go a'fishing in . . .
    I usually don't cross post 'friendly' sites, but here is an older article that has a good suggestion for power button removal and/or other fixs.

9 Simple Fixes for the Palm Pre | webOSroundup
    My daughter dropped her Pre and broke the power button (common occurrence). Really EZ fix, she used a small piece of an eraser to repair it. that was almost a year ago and her power button still works great. Here is a thread showing how to fix the power button:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...utton-fix.html
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thanks - I'd seen this before, but in relation to the loose battery; the power button issue hadn't cropped up yet . . . not fixed but I'm trying . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Just slide the button out, gently, with your fingernail, a small screwdriver, fingernail file or whatever.

Pop in a piece of rubberband, eraser, or whatever you repair item of choice, then pop the button back in and see if it works.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the right size for it to work.

And I just want to say, there is no way people should have this kind of problem, with what SHOULD BE, such a high end phone.
    Verwon, you are amazing . I've been having this problem for a month or so now. My phone is out of warranty so Sprint won't do a thing about it. This little trick worked like a charm. My power button is working great now.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    FYI to all -

I finally corrected my situation by loosening the six small torx head screws which are accessible when the battery/back is off (one has the little anti-tamper "Palm" sticker over it - so think twice, do this and the warranty is bye-bye for sure).

I concluded - after trying ALL of the other proposed remedies - that the switch contacts were being held down by foreign matter in the housing beneath the actual plastic button part. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol, compressed air, toothpick, etc netted nada. Since the phone is an eBay purchase and out of warranty anyway (not to mention useless except for the paperweight app), I figured I'd unscrew it and see what happened. Took the screws out, seperated the parts just a little, then put the battery in and booted the phone. Success.

Replaced the screws, the battery, the back and booted again - no problems then or since.

It may be the clearing of foreign goop in the works, it may be a misalignment of parts set right, or it may be the moon shifting through apogee: but it worked.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12