Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The number of hardware problems still occurring with the Pre is absurd, and should be considered unacceptable. I've got about a dozen devices in my house with LCD screens, and have noticed no dead pixels on any of them. Light leaks are easily caught, as are sloppy sliders. Palm, and it's OEM, have sloppy manufacturing and shoddy quality control, or are deliberately letting marginal quality units through to save money.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The number of hardware problems still occurring with the Pre is absurd, and should be considered unacceptable. I've got about a dozen devices in my house with LCD screens, and have noticed no dead pixels on any of them. Light leaks are easily caught, as are sloppy sliders. Palm, and it's OEM, have sloppy manufacturing and shoddy quality control, or are deliberately letting marginal quality units through to save money.
    You're forgetting that the people with problems or the truly anal are the only ones posting in this forum. We probably account for, what, 5% of the sales so far if we're lucky.

Estimates and statements so far show that the Pre has a normal return rate so I wouldn't assume there is an "absurd" amount of hardware issues.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    no those are calibration dots, big difference lol. the dead pixels shine this obnoxious green color when the device turns on and off.
    Actually dead pixels are as the name would suggest, dead. They don't show up as any color. What your referring to is a stuck pixel. The main difference between a stuck pixel and a dead pixel (besides the on/off state of the pixel) is that a stuck pixel may disappear over time. It can take several days or weeks, but they can eventually clear themselves up. Also a stuck pixel can be either Red, Green, or Blue (or sometimes a combination of these) as it is caused by a sub-pixel transistor not receiving power.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMSD View Post
    Actually dead pixels are as the name would suggest, dead. They don't show up as any color. What your referring to is a stuck pixel. The main difference between a stuck pixel and a dead pixel (besides the on/off state of the pixel) is that a stuck pixel may disappear over time. It can take several days or weeks, but they can eventually clear themselves up. Also a stuck pixel can be either Red, Green, or Blue (or sometimes a combination of these) as it is caused by a sub-pixel transistor not receiving power.
    No, he's actually referring to the calibration dots.

If you turn your phone at an angle while looking at it in the light, you'll see the dots faintly. Many phones have these though I never really noticed them until I had a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    You're forgetting that the people with problems or the truly anal are the only ones posting in this forum. We probably account for, what, 5% of the sales so far if we're lucky.

Estimates and statements so far show that the Pre has a normal return rate so I wouldn't assume there is an "absurd" amount of hardware issues.
    Even if it is 5% (which is nothing more than a guess. I could say 15% and be just as knowledgeable), that's still too high. There's no excuse for letting ANY Pre's with light leaks out the door, and dead pixels should be extremely rare. Getting 4 Pres in a row with dead pixels points to a real problem. It appears to me that Palm is cutting corners on manufacturing and quality control.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    no those are calibration dots, big difference lol. the dead pixels shine this obnoxious green color when the device turns on and off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    No, he's actually referring to the calibration dots.

If you turn your phone at an angle while looking at it in the light, you'll see the dots faintly. Many phones have these though I never really noticed them until I had a Pre.
    I know what the calibration dots are. In his post, he says that "the dead pixels shine this obnoxious green color when the device turns on and off." My last post on this, I don't want to take the thread completely off topic.
    I've had 5 pre's and all of them have had dead pixels. I would get over that issue, and make sure everything else is fine and there are not other major problems. At least until palm increases their quality control.
    Even if it is 5% (which is nothing more than a guess. I could say 15% and be just as knowledgeable)
    Erm, it was an educated guess. We have about 62,290 members and it seems a rough estimate of Palm Pres sold is about 400,000 at this point. So that means we have about 5% of the Palm Pre population on the forums (6.4% or so, if you want to be technical but it's all rounding).
    that's still too high
    Erm, you misunderstand. I was talking about the amount of members here versus the total Pre population. Not all of us have had problems. In fact, that's still a minority thing here.
    There's no excuse for letting ANY Pre's with light leaks out the door, and dead pixels should be extremely rare. Getting 4 Pres in a row with dead pixels points to a real problem. It appears to me that Palm is cutting corners on manufacturing and quality control.
    Bad luck. Nothing more. I would be surprised to see return / exchange rates higher than average. All phones have their issues and all phones go through the dead pixel problems (especially in batches).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMSD View Post
    I know what the calibration dots are. In his post, he says that "the dead pixels shine this obnoxious green color when the device turns on and off." My last post on this, I don't want to take the thread completely off topic.
    Erm, I could see that being taken either way as the calibration dots look green to me and is really only noticeable during some sort of light change but I digress.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12