Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
       #1  
    See the thread here


    Chuq Von Rospach, Palm Developer Community Manager, clarifies Palm's position in response to NaNPlayer's criticism of the rejection of his application from the App Catalog.

    Oh, Palm. Responding to community outcry within 20 hours of the original post, and putting and end to the much to-do about nothing.

    Kudos.

    As for the Author of NaNplayer, I eagerly await your app in the homebrew catalog so we can work out any hiccups until broader API access is delivered
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/10/2009 at 04:11 PM.
  2. #2  
  3. #3  
    I'm actually quite pleased and shocked... the Palm Manager actually implies a acceptence and knowledge of HomeBrew apps... Sprint and Palm should have NO ability to block warranty issues for this now, rooting, however, is a different animal.

    Lee
    Lee Ladisky
  4. #4  
    I bet that lots of Palm employees have My Tether and drPodder on their Pres!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    I'm actually quite pleased and shocked... the Palm Manager actually implies a acceptence and knowledge of HomeBrew apps... Sprint and Palm should have NO ability to block warranty issues for this now, rooting, however, is a different animal.

    Lee
    What gets me upset is that you have close to 75 comments on the front page that say "oh palm is apple # 2" when you have palm sending PM's here on precentral asking Homebrew authors to submit their apps, would apple do this never but again users complain and complain.
  6. #6  
    Kudos to Palm for being upfront on this. Good to hear that API will likely at some point be available.
  7. Partyman's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    #7  
    To bad we cant get chuq to tell us when the new update will be out. LOL
  8. dwags's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm still a wee bit annoyed. Do not OS updates on the iPhone break software due to API changes? Is it not an acceptable situation? That if devs don't update their apps to work with the new OS, their apps will break?

    To me it's the same argument. So Palm will change the indexer API. They won't be doing it without an OS update? Right? The developer understands that OS updates will often break their software. Right?

    Why NOT release a perfectly good working piece of great software on the official walled garden? I fail to see what the ACTUAL issue is, other than a too-tight policy thought up by people who think way too hard.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hammysink View Post
    Why NOT release a perfectly good working piece of great software on the official walled garden? I fail to see what the ACTUAL issue is, other than a too-tight policy thought up by people who think way too hard.
    They were told not to use that API, and he used it anyway. Thats the issue.
  10. dtg755's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #10  
    I think this serves as a reminder that we shouldn't automatically assume palm has become some evil entity overnight when they don't accept one app...lets have a little more faith than that.
  11. #11  
    Moses has spoken...

    You may covet other apps. But you may not have them yet.

    .....and keep your hands off our APIs
  12. #12  
    Palm you are the shizznet! Oh and chuq about the 1.2 update when exactlydid you say that was going to be released?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post

    .....and keep your hands off our APIs
    He didn't even say that much.

    He basically said he is welcome to use private API's and put it on Homebrew. But they won't/can't/shouldn't put it on the App Catalog while it uses Private API.
  14. dwags's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    They were told not to use that API, and he used it anyway. Thats the issue.
    That's the POLICY issue, not the actual issue.

    An actual issue would be something like "use of the API as it currently stands opens the Pre to malicious hackers, and makes your mother fall and break her knee".

    Palm is different, and it's apparent that the community manager is doing his darndest to keep that appearance up by responding so quickly. But I'm not happy with the meat of the response as it stands-- the content is "sorry, we can't post your wonderful software, that I think is really great, because we just can't."

    The "unsupported API" argument is hogwash all by itself. Does the app work with the current OS, and not comprimise stability or security? Yes or no? Yes? Well then allow it to be released!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hammysink View Post
    That's the POLICY issue, not the actual issue.
    Palm is a company, I dont see how anyone can expect them to just say "Well you didn't play by our rules, but sure, you can be a part of the App Catalog!" That's just not how business works.
  16. dwags's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    #16  
    The original author of the program says it much better than I, and has more stock in this issue than any of us.

    I'll shut up now to keep it from going in circles

Posting Permissions