Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I'm sorry but after reading the numerous complaints about Palm in regards to WebOS, the Pre, and Blubbles NaNPlayer, I have reached the point where I just need to say something.

1.) Palm is doing the best they can to address all of users complaints and by Blubble telling everyone to email Palm about not accepting his application is overloading Palm in doing other things like accepting other applications. Blubble used an undocumented API in his application and expected Palm to just accept his application. I have reached out to Blubble multiple times in order to make his app, App Catalog compliant but I have never received a response (I know he is getting my messages because they show as read). PLEASE STOP EMAILING PALM, this is causing them to set aside their daily duties to read complaints. Read Palm's Response

2.) WebOS has been released for 3 months! Give Palm time to iron out the bugs. I have to say it took Apple 2 years to get copy/paste into their software. Palm is moving at a pretty good pace to get everything working. We complained that the SDK wasn't being released fast enough so Palm releases it. We then complain that apps are not being added to the App Catalog. So Palm then starts opening the App Catalog. We then complain that the SDK is not complete and API's are undocumented. Palm is working as fast as they can to get everything working.

Rome was not built in a day nor was Earth. You have to give things time. Just because API's are not documented 3 months after release does not mean they won't be documented in a future update release. Give them time!

3.) Like stated above the Pre has it's issues and Palm is working to address them. There will not be a single phone that everyone will love and have NO problems with on it's initial launch. There will always be small updates added to improve products. Palm is listening to the community and doing everything it can to improve it's product.

I myself HATED Palm after getting the Pre because of the SDK and such. After speaking to numerous Palm reps and talking with them on the phone I now understand what they have to go through DAILY. Most employee's work on the weekends without extra pay to deal with the communities feed back. A public company like Palm cannot just do things on a whim and publish them. It all has to go through legal steps to be finalized. Out of all vendors I have ever had I have to say Palm has the best customer experience for their customers. This last month I have seen how much they care about trying to satisfying everyone.

Some of you have different needs for a smart phone. Maybe some of you need what the iPhone can offer and maybe some of you need what the Pre can offer. All I can ask is that you stop just posting about how crappy Palm is because you can't figure out how to install an application or app isn't getting accepted. Just give Palm time to get everything ironed out and I am sure we will see a solid product.

If you have improvements or legit issues affecting your experience with Palm simple use the contact methods (in a nice professional manner) posted on their site and or forums. They check these frequently and love to hear feed back.

Sorry for my ranting but I just think people come on here to complain and not read ANYTHING about what Palm is doing to improve their products.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    +1

Totally agree with everything you said.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    same here. nice post OP
    Agreed
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Strongly agree!
    I was a little upset over the new update not being released but they are probably adding new tweaks and improving it.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    OP why don't you and your phone go get married
    its sad that this had to be posted... whats worse is that the complainers wont read it
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    ++

The default music player is obviously deficient, which explains why the APIs are not documented yet. As long as homebrew is easily accessible, I support Palm trying to maintain some quality control in the App Catalog.

If in the process of updating the built in app they need to change the APIs, then NaNPlayer and all other apps that depend on them will break with the next OS update. Palm does not want to deal with that headache, and rightly so.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I myself HATED Palm after getting the Pre because of the SDK and such. After speaking to numerous Palm reps and talking with them on the phone I now understand what they have to go through DAILY. Most employee's work on the weekends without extra pay to deal with the communities feed back. A public company like Palm cannot just do things on a whim and publish them. It all has to go through legal steps to be finalized.
    And not just legal steps, but also testing, which takes a lot more time than most people realize.

Well put, PreGame.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    +2
    +1
    i have been a palm fan for years, the 3 the 3c the vx, the tx this is my first all in one phone,, could not bring myself to buying one of the other palm phones.. i agree totally with pregame. i understand people wanting it all and wanting it yesterday, but folks comparing apples to beef is just not right. iphone has been around for some time.. and from what i recall went through similar types of problems, in fact, if you actually compare the two units sideby side you have to come to the realization that they are two totally different products, aimed at two different demographics. the pre is a cross over phone to a degree, trying to get some of that younger market. however, i am in sales, management, this phone is exactly what i need to do business with, i am not interested in music apps, or video or alot of the other things many here want. i want to be able to take care of my email, sort docs, input data in spreadsheets, and deal with day to day things that come up when i am out of the office. those other things are nice, but are not a make or break thing with me. games, music, video, the camera ,, will probably never get used by me. some of the things many here mention and complain about are best suited on a real computer. not a bloody phone, so give palm its due, out of the box the phone is damn good. yes it has its shortcomings, yes I NEED an app that will edit ppt docs and xls, ( comon docs to go) the rest for the most part is just fluff, at least to me. Palm keep up the good work. oh and one more thing, up here in canada we/i need google maps to be a little more robust, sprint has that neat lil navigation thing, we up here in the great white north need an app that will do a little more and soon.

just my two canadian cents worth

Forsaken
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Disagree on a fundamental level. We shouldn't be discussing the in's and out's of Palm's application approval process, we should be asking why it exists in the first place. Also, let's stop making excuses for Palm's shortcomings. The average user doesn't care if they're doing a better job at it than Apple did, they only care how Web OS competes NOW, not how it will in the future.

Blubble provided several alternatives and reasons why his application should still be accepted, but Palm isn't budging. These are perfectly reasonable and would pass on any other operating system (with the exception of iPhone OS). It is expected that with major OS updates, some software will break. You make the decision to take that risk when you buy the software. END OF STORY. Stuff breaks just as much even if it is using official APIs.

So let's all stop being Palm apologists and start being realistic. I don't care how hard Palm is working, I care how their products works NOW. I care about the openness of their app approval process. I care that I can run any application I want.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    its sad that this had to be posted... whats worse is that the complainers wont read it
    This.
    My disagreement would be that the defenders of pre neglect to mention that palm has been making PIM software/phones for at least a decade. So to act like palm is new to the game is not being honest. It is a miracle apple is where it is because they ahd to reslly start from scratch.

While I do think some complaints are over the top ie battery, there some legitimate complaints.
    I agree it's pretty annoying to hear the constant complaints about why the Pre is so awful. The funny part is that everyone has their own *different* idea about what is the single worst thing that absolutely *must* be fixed/changed/improved right away.

Kinda' reminds me of Veruca Salt ... "I Want It Now!"
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    So let's all stop being Palm apologists and start being realistic. I don't care how hard Palm is working, I care how their products works NOW. I care about the openness of their app approval process. I care that I can run any application I want.
    Realistically, given the bipolar/manic theme of so many of the posters on this board, would you want to be in Palm's shoes when they release WebOS 1.x with updated media indexing? Particularly if NaN was available from the official catalog. You'd have a flood of all caps posts bashing Palm -and- Blubble for breaking NaN, then the analysts would be all over it and you'd be hard pressed to find a news feed that wasn't inundated with anti-palm headlines, fabricated statistics, and 'sell' ratings.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Disagree on a fundamental level. We shouldn't be discussing the in's and out's of Palm's application approval process, we should be asking why it exists in the first place.
    An approval process is put in place to assure app safety and stability. If you want to go outside that, use homebrew

It is expected that with major OS updates, some software will break. You make the decision to take that risk when you buy the software. END OF STORY. Stuff breaks just as much even if it is using official APIs.
    I think that mindset right there is your key issue. API updates are NOT meant to break software, or at least, they shouldn't. Palm is trying to make things as compatible as possible. End of story.

So let's all stop being Palm apologists and start being realistic.
    Yes, let's be realistic. In the case of NaNplayer, there was usage of an undocumented API, which breaks Palm's SDK EULA, plain and simple. Palm plans to change the mediaDB calls in future versions and doesn't want to deal with apps breaking. MediaDB, from my experience with Internalz, definitely needs a makeover and it'd be unrealistic for Palm to create backwards compatibility for apps that use it when they aren't supposed to.

Palm is not some evil entity looking for excuses to reject apps. They need apps and their App Catalog will undoubtedly be more open than the iPhone App Store. Palm is actively working on the SDK, a little patience is required.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Disagree on a fundamental level. We shouldn't be discussing the in's and out's of Palm's application approval process, we should be asking why it exists in the first place. Also, let's stop making excuses for Palm's shortcomings. The average user doesn't care if they're doing a better job at it than Apple did, they only care how Web OS competes NOW, not how it will in the future.

Blubble provided several alternatives and reasons why his application should still be accepted, but Palm isn't budging. These are perfectly reasonable and would pass on any other operating system (with the exception of iPhone OS). It is expected that with major OS updates, some software will break. You make the decision to take that risk when you buy the software. END OF STORY. Stuff breaks just as much even if it is using official APIs.

you aren't thinking realistically here. You are saying you want everything open? To completely open something then later go back in and securing it is alot harder than adding the security first then opening it later. Alot of users using the Pre are not techie's. They do not know what applications can be malicious and which cannot. Palm's focus is security. Since the App Catalog is still in Beta they have the right to not allow applications that are using undocumented API's. You are missing the fact that the App Catalog is still in BETA.

I am not here to apologize for Palm, I am here because I understand where Palm is coming from and am trying to help others understand the same thing.

By working for a software company, I too understand the risk of releasing software that is not secure nor tested. It can have its repercussions which affect your business for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    My disagreement would be that the defenders of pre neglect to mention that palm has been making PIM software/phones for at least a decade. So to act like palm is new to the game is not being honest. It is a miracle apple is where it is because they ahd to reslly start from scratch.

While I do think some complaints are over the top ie battery, there some legitimate complaints.
    This a BRAND NEW OS completely written from scratch... So yes this would be a fresh start for Palm.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast