Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Ok, I've really really tried to like this phone and operating system but the more I read about the new handsets and features coming out on other smartphones, The more critical I've become of this handset and webOS. I seriously doubt I will still own a Pre by the end of 09.

Here's the reasons why in no particular order:

1. webOS is not polished...yet. While I do believe the webos has potential there are too many gaps I am not willing to wait for.
    2. The multi-task is cool but once I got over the wow factor there's not enough programs out for me to start "power" using the phone.
    3. Phone is extremely laggy (is that a word?) I'm used to a snappy screen
    4. poor hand sets to choose from. Pre and pixie? Ones a slider and the other is... not even sure.
    5. Features envy. When I read the HTC touch has a feature that can down load web pages at time intervals I felt that is a feature I can really use, no doubt the webos will have it but when....?

All this can change of course if palm changes the following:

PLEASE get the lag problem squared away. I gave up using the calendar because it really is useless when I have to wait sometimes minutes for it to load. (I relied on my previous smartphone calendar heavily). Phone app is also slow.

Come out with greater selection of handsets. I'll cut you some slack being the only company besides apple that created your own os and handset but how hard is it to copy the candy bar design with a huge screen.

I will stick with sprint for the great pricing but Palm has their work cut out for them as Sprint brings on heavy featured winmo and android phones to the line up. I'm also eyeing Motorola because I did like what they did with the Moto Q. Could they do the same with their new phones? (minus the radiation of course)
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    then you shouldnt have gotten a first gen phone. sorry to say.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Ok, I've really really tried to like this phone and operating system but the more I read about the new handsets and features coming out on other smartphones, The more critical I've become of this handset and webOS. I seriously doubt I will still own a Pre by the end of 09.

1. webOS is not polished...yet. While I do believe the webos has potential there are too many gaps I am not willing to wait for.
    2. The multi-task is cool but once I got over the wow factor there's not enough programs out for me to start "power" using the phone.
    4. poor hand sets to choose from. Pre and pixie? Ones a slider and the other is... not even sure.
    5. Features envy. When I read the HTC touch has a feature that can down load web pages at time intervals I felt that is a feature I can really use, no doubt the webos will have it but when....?

PLEASE get the lag problem squared away. I gave up using the calendar because it really is useless when I have to wait sometimes minutes for it to load. (I relied on my previous smartphone calendar heavily). Phone app is also slow.

Come out with greater selection of handsets. I'll cut you some slack being the only company besides apple that created your own os and handset but how hard is it to copy the candy bar design with a huge screen.

I will stick with sprint for the great pricing but Palm has their work cut out for them as Sprint brings on heavy featured winmo and android phones to the line up. I'm also eyeing Motorola because I did like what they did with the Moto Q. Could they do the same with their new phones? (minus the radiation of course)
    You do realize that the Pre has only been out for 3 months and WebOS is still getting numerous updates. It took Apple 2 years to get copy/paste. I think Palm is working faster than Apple ever did to resolve users complaints about the product.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Did you say WinMo and Android? Ha, ha, ha.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

...and somehow, magically, via the power of unicorns, you won't have any problems with any other new phones that come out, right?

C'mon.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I'm not too sure I agree with your assessment about the calendar. Mine syncs with google and outlook and loads almost instantly. I would say I'm a moderate user, it stores work and personal dates, but I have to question this idea that it takes over a minute to load. Are you using it differently then the average user?
    im waiting for precentral 2.0 to come out so we can get rid of these annoying posts... if you people want to post this crap at least take it to the general forum...
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    im waiting for precentral 2.0 to come out so we can get rid of these annoying posts... if you people want to post this crap at least take it to the general forum...
    I second that! Seriously brim what do you expect out of a newly developed device? Heck, why do you think there are firmware and software updates for things like this? Show me a device that is PERFECT at launch, and I will show you my pet dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    You do realize that the Pre has only been out for 3 months and WebOS is still getting numerous updates. It took Apple 2 years to get copy/paste. I think Palm is working faster than Apple ever did to resolve users complaints about the product.
    I havent even read up much on the 1.2 update...but isnt the copy/paste feature they updated on that even more advance than what Apple spent 2 years doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I havent even read up much on the 1.2 update...but isnt the copy/paste feature they updated on that even more advance than what Apple spent 2 years doing?
    no, but it has more functionality that the current implementation
    You might consider resetting your phone and clearing the web cache 1-2x/week, which I think helps with snappiness on my phone a lot. I don't have any lag issues with any apps.

As far as features go, be careful that you're not just thinking of jumping to another phone and OS just for feature X. Over time, there's more to a phone than a single feature. You'll have to put up with many issues with WinMo or Android just get a handful of features. Don't fall into the trap of looking down the list of features and ticking off those that you "want". As is oft said: "The grass is always greener on the other side", or "Be careful what you ask for...".

WebOS is a VERY nice OS and is very usable for actually getting stuff done, not fiddling or adding features. Sure, it could use a lot of work, but that's coming. For me, it's much more usable in a general basis as-is vs. my iPhone or Blackberry, both of which infuriate me on an daily basis. I think that Android has a lot of promise (too early now), but I'm leery of WinMo unless I absolutely needed some feature....and I mean Drop-Dead-Have-To-Have featuere. Otherwise, it's not for me....too rooted in the past. Lots of baggage to drag along.

Skip
    See ya OP. Have fun with the perfect phone you find.
    As someone stated above, it's a FIRST GENERATION OS. My god, i always hear people saying "My RAZR from '04 can forward texts and the Pre can't?" Waaaaaaah

I'm pretty sure my Samsung from '02 had MMS. Isn't this a feature that iPhone users are about to get at the end of the month? And the iPhone has been out 3+ years.

Go read some reviews/complaints about the original iPhone and it's capabilities in 2007. (copy/paste, video recording, MMS, etc)

It will get better in time, as all first generation OS's do. You should have known this coming in...
    Good luck with your new phone. Hope it meets your needs.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prejune View Post
    then you shouldnt have gotten a first gen phone. sorry to say.
    Yes, you got me on that one, Who would have thought I'd have to wait for later generations for the calendar to work properly.......
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Yes, you got me on that one, Who would have thought I'd have to wait for later generations for the calendar to work properly.......
    Next time do your homework dude.
    works fine for me? oh wait you probably wanted a fully completed replacement for outlook... oh
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I do homework when I'm buying a house, not so much when buying a phone, just want it to work.
    Only point i agree with you on is that the phone app is a bit laggy. I press the button to answer, count 1...2...3... "Hello?" Considering i use the phone more as a portable computer then a phone (i think i used 12 minutes last month, and almost all of them via BT in my car) I'm not too worried about it.

The lag issue could be classified under "WebOS polish" but I think overall the OS is very usable, if not reminiscent of PalmOS.

The ability to download web pages for offline view is a killer feature for you? Why would they implement that in a phone that is always connected?

There are tons of apps out there that I love multi taksking with. Pandora while i surf craigs list and email people about their random free crap. Awesome.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I do homework when I'm buying a house, not so much when buying a phone, just want it to work.
    At least you've admitted your mistake.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast