Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    you just said very good point. in the next sentence you are gonna link to this thread?? let her make her own decisions, if you have to convince her, she's gonna be one of those people in these forums *****ing about what the phone doesn't do. is that why we have so many complainers? did someone convince them??
    VickMackey,

When you look to buy a new phone (or any other sort of device), you don't look at the forums first?

I know I do. And I read the complainer posts so I know what I am getting myself into.
    nb
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The best question is what she is going to be using it for - many people would be better off with a cheaper feature phone than either a pre or a iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    The best way is

Pre has navigation , while you have to pay 70 dollars for that on an iPhone.

Pre's camera is far better than iPhone's camera.
    I really disagree with this comment. I carry both a Pre and an iPhone 3GS (and a BB Tour). I find the iPhone has the best of all the cameras with the tour 2nd and the Pre 3rd. Ofcourse the Pre also cant record video. I use the video recording feature of the iPhone all the time.

As for the GPS, yes I did pay $69.99 to get the Navigon program, but I find it so much better the the GPS experience of the Pre. Just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Why do people get so caught up in what other people choose to use? It doesn't make your product of choice any better or worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Frankly, unless she is a tech-savvy person who is not averse to hacking her phone, she might be better served by the iPhone at this point.

And besides, if she gets the Pre at your suggestion and hates it, has hardware quality issues, etc. you don't want to have friction with someone you live with because of it. Let her make her own decision.
    I think it's actually the other way 'round. I think the tech-savvy people like those here are the ones that feel like they need to do a bunch of tweaking. I'm here on the forum all the time - my wife, who I believe is your "average user", absolutely loves her Pre and doesn't know or care the first thing about tweaking it. Every time I tell her about some big issue on the forum she rolls her eyes at me and walks away.

But I do agree, you shouldn't try to force your friend into a Pre. Just let her play around with yours and then try the iPhone and make her own decision.
    As someone already said, give her the facts and let her make the decision based on what her usage pattern is.

The monthly price difference is overinflated except for people who need a very large pool of minutes every month. The lowest iPhone plan for $70 already includes free calling to all 70 million AT& wireless numbers and rollover minutes. There are tons of free SMS apps eliminating the need to pay for SMS.

Pre's strength in the openness of its software - but it takes a certain kind of hacking, early-adopter mentality to enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Every time I tell her about some big issue on the forum she rolls her eyes at me and walks away.

But I do agree, you shouldn't try to force your friend into a Pre. Just let her play around with yours and then try the iPhone and make her own decision.

100% agree. Same thing happens with my gf. She doesnt care about tweaking her phone. Let your friend decide for herself.
    This is a worthless post and it's getting way too much attention. Let her get whatever phone she wants. It's not like you're getting any commission if you sell her on the Pre
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSpartan View Post
    Show her the ICute App, Lol, no J/k

I dont know, Multi Tasking is really nice. I love the pop up alerts SO much better than a Iphone.
    I love the multitasking. There were times I had someone on the phone and had to check something online or go through a contact to get their address, etc., and I could handle it easily without having to say "I'll call you back". I also truly appreciate a tactile keyboard.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glomgold View Post
    This is a worthless post and it's getting way too much attention. Let her get whatever phone she wants. It's not like you're getting any commission if you sell her on the Pre
    Actually, if you get her to sign up with Sprint, you can get $50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    Actually, if you get her to sign up with Sprint, you can get $50.
    True, but that's not why the OP started this thread. Listen, I love my Pre and I would love to see webOS make a name for itself, but c'mon. If this guys roommate wants to get an iPhone so she can have the "hottest phone out there", then let her, who cares?

She asked for your opinion, you told her you prefer the Pre, now drop it.

Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Man I love The Shield. I actually just finished watching the series on DVD last week! What a ride! I can't remember the last time I got so emotional watching a TV show, but when I saw the end to Shane's story, I started blubbering like a baby. Even though Shane was something of a screw up, he was always one of my faves. Plus I have a 3-year old boy, so that hit me hard.
    Last edited by glomgold; 09/11/2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    If that's the case, I agree. I wouldn't impose on someone who seemed to have their mind made up, because chances are - if she listens to you and gets the Pre and regrets it, you'll never live it down.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I really disagree with this comment. I carry both a Pre and an iPhone 3GS (and a BB Tour). I find the iPhone has the best of all the cameras with the tour 2nd and the Pre 3rd. Ofcourse the Pre also cant record video. I use the video recording feature of the iPhone all the time.

As for the GPS, yes I did pay $69.99 to get the Navigon program, but I find it so much better the the GPS experience of the Pre. Just my opinion.
    sure, opinions
    I plus (CNET and other techblogs) think Pre has a better camera. But I won't argue with you on this. Its your eyes telling your brain about whether the picture is good or bad.

Regarding the navigation, I never had issue with it, I thought it was much better than the inbuilt navigation in my Honda, and some other units.

Haven't checked the iPhone one ( Tom Tom, I guess).,

Besides , do you have to pay some fee on annual basis for your iPhone navigation for updates ?
    I love the multitasking. There were times I had someone on the phone and had to check something online or go through a contact to get their address, etc., and I could handle it easily without having to say "I'll call you back". I also truly appreciate a tactile keyboard.
    Actually, with the iPhone on 3G you can talk to somebody and go online and browse or check your contacts and other things.

Try doing that with your Pre... have someone on the phone and then go online
    Last edited by donm527; 09/11/2009 at 01:14 PM.
    I hate selling a product to someone. You then become tech support for it or have to hear about it if it fails.

It's even worse when a relative or friend calls and puts you on the spot saying "what computer do you recommend and i only have a 100 to spend?" That's a trap to avoid...since you really don't want to have to support a cheap POS.

This may be fun at first, but it gets old.
    Navigon sneaks text-to-speech, iPod controls and location sharing into MobileNavigator app

Navigon doesn't look too bad. Might look into it later as more come out. Too bad no trials.
    True, but that's not why the OP started this thread. Listen, I love my Pre and I would love to see webOS make a name for itself, but c'mon. If this guys roommate wants to get an iPhone so she can have the "hottest phone out there", then let her, who cares?

She asked for your opinion, you told her you prefer the Pre, now drop it.

Case closed.

Man I love The Shield. I actually just finished watching the series on DVD last week! What a ride! I can't remember the last time I got so emotional watching a TV show, but when I saw the end to Shane's story, I started blubbering like a baby. Even though Shane was something of a screw up, he was always one of my faves. Plus I have a 3-year old boy, so that hit me hard.

Yea, i hear that, talk about good television. the shield was one the good ones, sorry it had to end but it went out on top!
    People need to check their facts when they are trying to offer help instead of information like "No Bluetooth, cheap video camera, no instant messaging, no MMS..." on the iPhone.

I imagine owning either would be a fun phone... The iphone gets the nod because it is much more refined as a system and the apps store is all there and the apps are pretty exciting and getting better all the time and it integrates seamlessly with itunes and other things. The Pre is a nice system... just buggy, quality issues and lacking in apps and features. Time will fix those... but the question is how much time?

If it hurts to see her paying her other bills every month... I would suggest she get a regular dumbphone and save her money or add her to your family plan so that she can afford a smartphone at $30-something per month.

Last edited by donm527; 09/11/2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Navigon sneaks text-to-speech, iPod controls and location sharing into MobileNavigator app

Navigon doesn't look too bad. Might look into it later as more come out. Too bad no trials.
    From personal experience... Navigon rocks and been totally satisfied with it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast