1.    #1  
    I have an airave, and am considering ditching the landline. We never use it, and we only get calls from solicitors on it. I don't even answer it anymore, I just let the machine get the calls.

However, I do use the fax machine in our home once in a while. I would say a couple times a month.

I know I could get a fax using an internet fax service, for like $12/month. I have had that in the past. I'd have to scan the document, and then fax it with the service. But that is about what the landline costs, so there would be no point to doing it.

I am wondering if there is any way to tether my Pre to my computer, and then fax scanned documents that way. If the Pre can't do it, are there any other smart phones out there that can? (If so, I might get that for my wife--I'm keeping the Pre.)

Thanks for any help.
    Here you go - doesn't tie in with the Pre though.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Here you go - doesn't tie in with the Pre though.
    I'm aware of the free fax services. I have used them in the past, but they used to require that you let them have an ad on the cover page. Most of my faxes are business faxes, and it would not be good to use those services. However, I see that the service you linked gives you 3 free pages without ads, and 10 pages are a buck. That's not bad, it might come close to meeting my needs.

Thanks.
    The company I work for wants to get away from faxing so much as it's a huge pull on resources. Are your normal receipients against receiving scanned documents via email?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    There was a program I used on my Treo 700P called CS fax, Not sure if it would work in Classic. Bascially you could send and receive faxes on the device. As well as send faxes from your device to a fax machine.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    lol i never knew u could fax that way!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CWhiteRun View Post
    The company I work for wants to get away from faxing so much as it's a huge pull on resources. Are your normal receipients against receiving scanned documents via email?
    There are a few dinosaurs who are not able to receive email attachments, or prefer not to. Also, there is no provision in law for email service of documents, but if you fax serve something, it is permitted. So sometimes I have to use fax.
    Fax1.com (Fax1: Free Fax Software for your Internet Fax Solutions.) has an "email to fax" service, that allows you to send an attachment to a fax number. You pay by the fax, so it may be cheaper than a monthly phone bill.

I've used that to send faxes, and used efax.com to receive them.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    You might find some fax apps for the Touch Pro 2, although it might not be the best all around phone for your wife.
    I believe I saw a phone jack under the battery when I switched to the Seidio. I didn't try it though.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hmmm, IF (not sure if possible) the pre can connect as BT modem, can a home computer with a fax sw uses the pre just for the 'dialing/modem' part?
    Hmmm, IF (not sure if possible) the pre can connect as BT modem, can a home computer with a fax sw uses the pre just for the 'dialing/modem' part?
    Wondering this myself, but with a 750 or even a 650, if anyone who knows happens across this thread.
    I use Greenfax.com which is not restricted to the US/Canada, and there's a non-expiring prepaid option. Pretty handy for the occasional fax by email.
    I also subscribe to a "virtual secretary service" which will forward voicemail and faxes automatically to my email - there are lots of options out there.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I'm looking more for a way to regularly be sending faxes, not just on an occasional basis. Not worried or as interested in receiving faxes. Everything I've been looking at as far as pricing goes leaves me to think it's no cheaper than having my landline back. Most of the packages I've seen offer many less "sent" faxes per month than "received" faxes.
    Try efax as well. It is a small monthly fee but will allow you to fax pdf from your phone.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Check out MaxeMail.com I've been using it for years. Not only can you fax through your computer tethered to your Pre, Your Pre can send and receive Faxes too.
    Still using Trustfax after all these years.

Dumped efax years ago - too expensive.
    Just call me Berd.