1.    #1  
    My screen cracked from the center button and i went to Sprint to find out about replacing it and they referred me to Asurion. After checking my options i and finding i would have to pay $100 to replace it, i came to this site and found out that this was a known defect and that i should contact Palm. Palm offered to replace it for me but i would have to send in the old one first and they would send me one meaning i would have to use my old 755p for about a week. I went into Sprint today prepared to switch everything over and another helpful tech told me that since this was a known defect they could replace it in store with a refurbished unit. 45 min later i walked a with another Pre. If you have this issue make sure they replace it in store the mandate came down yesterday apparently and everyone may not have gotten the memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrotheratlas View Post
    My screen cracked from the center button and i went to Sprint to find out about replacing it and they referred me to Asurion. After checking my options i and finding i would have to pay $100 to replace it, i came to this site and found out that this was a known defect and that i should contact Palm. Palm offered to replace it for me but i would have to send in the old one first and they would send me one meaning i would have to use my old 755p for about a week. I went into Sprint today prepared to switch everything over and another helpful tech told me that since this was a known defect they could replace it in store with a refurbished unit. 45 min later i walked a with another Pre. If you have this issue make sure they replace it in store the mandate came down yesterday apparently and everyone may not have gotten the memo.
    how did you crack your screen? i dont see how screens can "just crack" ppl have had to have dropped it once or pushed to hard or something....have u ever dropped it or anything?
  3.    #3  
    It wasn't dropped. I was running around the track with it in hand. Apparently that was too much pressure on it. From what i understand it is a known defect that has happened to ppl when they have had in thier pocket as well.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    its not a "mandate" to swap a pre out because of that. If a phone comes in with any type of physical damage, i refer to asurion. Thats S&R policy. i have dropped my Pre plenty of times and even had a peice of the plastic housing chip off, but no crack anywhere near the TS or button area.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    how did you crack your screen? i dont see how screens can "just crack" ppl have had to have dropped it once or pushed to hard or something....have u ever dropped it or anything?
    Someone needs to break out their high school science books.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have read some reports of the screen cracking from the center button up, and these people claim that the phone was hot to the touch when it happened. Most claims state that they pulled the phone from the holster and, like magic, it was cracked. I treat my phones like gold, but they still end up with scratches from NORMAL USE. Please don't jump the gun and tell someone they shouldn't have dropped their phone or mishandled it, when we don't even know what really happened.

Im glad you got your new device bigbrotheratlas. If you pay money for a product, it SHOULD be free of defects. If it is defective, it SHOULD be replaced at no cost to the buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    You must be new around here. That is the only reason I can think you'd make such a stupid comment.

There is a pretty good history here of screen "just cracking" - if you believe it or not. See the "My Cracked Screen" thread.

Mine cracked 1 day after launch (6/7/09) - and I had done nothing to it. Since then there have been many Pre's with the EXACT same crack pattern - with accompanying stories of it cracking while still on the touchstone, sitting on a table, or being carried in a pocket. No physical abuse involved.

Sprint replaced mine on 6/8 and I haven't had a problem since.

Sorry for the harsh words, but it pisses me off when people say there is no way it "just cracked" or that the person must have "done something" to cause it. Nothing could be further from the truth.