Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Honestly I don't get it. My main reason for buying the pre at launch was because I thought I was getting next gen palmos with wifi and synergy. I don't think most ppl associate palm with itunes. Besides with the pre known battery issues and limited storage you can't use the pre for a music player replacement. I own a mac but I rarely use itunes.

Another point if true why would they delay 1.2 update because of the sync issue with itunes. Palm has their priorities wrong. I would think they top priority is taking the app catalog out of beta since that's where the money is. Along with improving existing basic functions on the pre. Palm should stick with the mantra personal info at my fingertips.
    yeh i think u have a point, i dont believe in itunes or anything apple makes, but i think this has been addressed in several different topics already.....
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    There are Palm Pre/WebOS engineers that are former iPod/iPhone engineers.

My guess is when they came on board they said, "Hey, we know how to sync to iTunes, let's make the Pre do that. We like iTunes cuz we used to help build iPods/iPhones."

So Palm let them...
    It's considered a core feature for which they have no other supported options. When it breaks, they have to fix it or spend time supporting other options. Fixing is the faster of the two in the short term.

In the long run though they need to broaden their field of vision for media sync.
    Yeah it is kinda stupid if this is what pushed back the update. If there whole focus is to stick it to apple by pushing the consumer to the side so they can show apple that we are one up they are gonna lose customers. I could care less about Itunes on the pre. I have an ipod for that.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I actually think the 1.2 delay isn't because of iTunes, but because they don't have the new App Catalog ready (the leaked 1.2 rom doesn't work with the current App Catalog).
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nc-itunes.html
    most people in this forum are somewhat tech geeks.
    and still ever 1/3 of "us" use itunes.
    imagine the normal average joe with the pre or looking to buy one you would be surprised how many people use itunes. and plus its great publicity big ole apple picking on little ole palm
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    My feeling is, with them, this whole iTunes thing is personal.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Honestly I don't get it. My main reason for buying the pre at launch was because I thought I was getting next gen palmos with wifi and synergy. I don't think most ppl associate palm with itunes. Besides with the pre known battery issues and limited storage you can't use the pre for a music player replacement. I own a mac but I rarely use itunes.
    Well, that's what you get when you leave engeneering and stratagy decision to the Marketing department.

You get irrational, not well though out and sometimes downright stupid decisions!
    It might be personal, but as Warblad13 pointed out, a heck of a lot of people use iTunes. It makes it pretty easy for all of them to use music on their Pre. So it has crowd appeal for sure.

Also, you can't possibly fail to see the publicity it is generating. This is a battle of epic proportions. Palm knew that Apple would block them. In fact, I would wager that they WANTED Apple to block the Pre because it sets up a very nice David vs. Goliath situation in which Apple will look bad. People like an underdog. I would also wager that Palm already knows the several different ways that Apple can block the Pre and is already prepared with solutions for all of them. You can't buy this kind of publicity.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post

Another point if true why would they delay 1.2 update because of the sync issue with itunes. Palm has their priorities wrong. I would think they top priority is taking the app catalog out of beta since that's where the money is. Along with improving existing basic functions on the pre. Palm should stick with the mantra personal info at my fingertips.
    Very good points. I never used iTunes and never will own any Apple products for the simple reason that they think they are the best and their products are capable to function best with other Crapple products. Ireally don't want to start a debate on this subject...
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    In an ideal world, all your media would be instantly synced WIRELESSLY to your desktop and facebook and flickr... Without you having to physically think of plugging in your phone to sync. This was what I thought webos would bring!
    Could not agree with you more! I said in a past post that this is all a plan from Palm, it's a win/win situation for them. If Apple keeps blocking it they will look bad, if they stopped trying Pal will look like a winner.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    It's a waste of Palm's time. They need to nut up and develop their own solution instead of depending on a solution, developed by a competitor no less, that is intended to serve the competitor's products. Apply the same logic to any other industry, and it would be a dumb idea there too.

When Palm announced the Pre, many of us thought it would be good competition for Apple. This is not what I envisioned.
    I find people's reactions to the iTunes/Palm debate. Does anyone buy a Ford Mustang hoping to one day install a Chevy engine??? Apple's one & only purpose in life is to make money. The iPod is the #1 selling music device in the world. They also sell a smartphone. Why would they allow a direct competitor to use their software??? I am a bit bias because I do use a Mac & yes T3CK, Apple DOES design product to work well together (like that's a bad thing).

I think everyone needs to just take a deep breath. As stated before, I never expected my Pre to replace my iPod as my main music player (though it was nice to listen to internet radio in the car), so I guess it hasn't affected me. Just my .02
    Free press. Plain and simple, and it works! You cannot buy the kind of press Palm is getting for keeping up this fight.
    I haven't used my 32 GB iPod touch much at all since I got my Pre, but this whole iTunes sync war is getting annoying. Palm really just needs to develop a way to sync iTunes music and playlists, etc. on the Pre without having to use iTunes. I like using iTunes to organize my music, but I would be fine with a 3rd party syncing program, I just want my music and album art on my Pre
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    man! its a fact of life just move on i bet you guys that if palm would of released the update other people would of been complaining about the itunes sync. Its coming be patient and move on with our lifes. just my 2 cents
    Apple is stupid.

yes, a statement that needs NO explanation, but heres one reason why. If apple allows the Pre to sync with iTunes, they have MORE customers for their iTunes store or whatever it's called, they should be begging palm to allow the Pre to sync to it, sure, it should say "Palm Pre" instead of an ipod, but they are LOSING business. Instead, they are breaking the sync, getting beat by palm in the ability to actually do so, and looking bad. they already look bad for rejecting apps and such for their iPhone, and now they are rejecting the Pre. if apple gets any brains in the next couple months, they will give up, and let palm sync the Pre and be happy about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanTheMan View Post
    Apple is stupid.

yes, a statement that needs NO explanation, but heres one reason why. If apple allows the Pre to sync with iTunes, they have MORE customers for their iTunes store or whatever it's called, they should be begging palm to allow the Pre to sync to it, sure, it should say "Palm Pre" instead of an ipod, but they are LOSING business. Instead, they are breaking the sync, getting beat by palm in the ability to actually do so, and looking bad. they already look bad for rejecting apps and such for their iPhone, and now they are rejecting the Pre. if apple gets any brains in the next couple months, they will give up, and let palm sync the Pre and be happy about it.
    iTunes doesn't make Apple money, they just break even on it. The hardware is where Apple makes their money.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast