Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Went to Best Buy to study the Pre a bit, and I ended up walking out with it for $150 PLUS $18 upgrade fee. Is anyone else being charged an upgrade fee? Ridiculous.

I walked out of the store with the phone part working fine, but never connected to the internet. I manually entered all my contacts (no other choice), but data connection still failed (error 1012 when updating network settings). After various calls to TS, partial resets, full resets, etc, I still have a non-working phone. I cant even create a profile b/c it isnt finding the EVDO network near me here in Miami. It looks like I have a defective phone, and will have to exchange it at Best Buy.

Did everyone else get charged the $18?
    Can I force EVDO somehow? I will be phoneless till tomorrow, as I cant go back to Best Buy without the orig box and receipt.

Thanks,
    N
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    If the fee was from sprint, you can usually call them and ask them to waive it.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I don't think you can force EVDO. I believe this is an activation thing that others have experienced. You may be able to find some information if you search for can't activate or no data or something like that.

Even though you bought it at Best Buy, you might consider going in to a Sprint store to see if they can fix it. Just a thought.

By the way, I got the $18 fee too, and I got mine at Sprint.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Take it to a Sprint Corporate store with repair center. They will have you with a working phone within 15 minutes.

And yes, complain about the upgrade fee and they'll wave it.
  5.    #5  
    at this point, I want a new phone. Dont want repairs. And I guess I will have to call Sprint and plead for the $18 waive. Had to make 5 calls, and I know for a fact I lost all my contacts that I entered manually, despite being told that I would not lose them.

Agghhhhh
    I am not saying that you need to repair it. It may be defective. If it is, they will just give you a new phone, they won't repair it.

I say go to a repair center because they are trained to troubleshoot this stuff. Any other store, even a Sprint store, won't know how to troubleshoot it. But, you could probably walk into any store and act like an jerk and they would just swap you out for a new phone (which can be done once while in your 30 days).

Repair centers usually have more stock as well.
    Either get a new phone or take it to a Sprint store. Which ever you do, you shouldn't have to deal with it. It's not your problem to fix. Let Sprint handle it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    how do you use the phone if you cannot activiate it ?????
    how do you enter contact info if you cannot activate it ?????
    something is odd here.
    anyway, to force EVDO ( after activation that is ;-) )
    ##evdo# from the green dial screen.
    I was recently in Miami and the EVDO coverage was very spotty. Good luck.
    It took me about half a day to get the phone working properly, but it was because I messed around with it before activating it and I also changed it to a different line. I called sprint customer service and it took about 2 hours to get it going.

I also did get charged the $18 upgrade fee at Radioshack which I thought it was ridiculous.
  11.    #11  
    yes, i now sounds strange. I walked out of Best Buy witha profile created and phone working, despite never seeing EVdo or 1X at the top of the screen. Strange, I know.

Now, i've wiped the phone clean, and I am at the profile creation screen. No matter how many times I try, it fails as it cannot connect to the carrier's network. I went outside, roof, etc, and even with 4 or 5 bars, it cannot connect. According to advanced tech support, I can try to create the profile 100 times, but it will never work until I see EVDO at the top.
    Why would you ever leave the store without your phone fully working? That's entirely on you man.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    Why would you ever leave the store without your phone fully working? That's entirely on you man.
    totally agree. Trust me, it wont happen again..
    Guys, I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but upgrade fees have been in place at Sprint since at least 2005. And they used to be $36, at least on the Nextel side of the house. Four years, folks. You will get charged an upgrade fee if you get your phone at a Sprint store or most third-party dealers. I guess I'm just surprised that people are still ... surprised by this, somehow.

That said, you can call CS and ask them to waive the fee, as others have said. OP, you might have more luck with this since you've been having problems with your Pre that aren't your fault. Just remember to ask politely. Even if you have to be persistent, stay pleasant. When I worked retail, I was much more apt to do a customer a favor if he was civil, rather than making a big scene.

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    I walked out of the store with the phone part working fine, but never connected to the internet. I manually entered all my contacts (no other choice), but data connection still failed (error 1012 when updating network settings). After various calls to TS, partial resets, full resets, etc, I still have a non-working phone. I cant even create a profile b/c it isnt finding the EVDO network near me here in Miami. It looks like I have a defective phone, and will have to exchange it at Best Buy.
    yes, i now sounds strange. I walked out of Best Buy witha profile created and phone working, despite never seeing EVdo or 1X at the top of the screen. Strange, I know.

Now, i've wiped the phone clean, and I am at the profile creation screen. No matter how many times I try, it fails as it cannot connect to the carrier's network. I went outside, roof, etc, and even with 4 or 5 bars, it cannot connect. According to advanced tech support, I can try to create the profile 100 times, but it will never work until I see EVDO at the top.
    So there was a profile created for you at the store? How did this happen without an internet connection? Strange, very strange. Perhaps they used WiFi? Have you tried wifi? You might also try to log in to your Palm Profile on a computer and see if it's there. By the way, you lost your contacts because the Pre needs a connection to back up the information to your profile, but you've probably figured that out by now.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I'm sure when you take it back to Best Buy they'll help you. And try not to throw it in a lake before you get there. I obviously have no idea which Best Buy you bought it from, but the one in Kendall had some very courteous, knowledgeable and helpful reps. And EVDO down here isn't that bad. I get it the majority of the time except inside some buildings.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I will be phoneless till tomorrow, as I cant go back to Best Buy without the orig box and receipt.
    Let me get this straight, you do not have the original box and receipt for a phone you just bought. Did you just grab the phone and walk out leaving the box, receipt, and accessories at the checkout counter?

There should be no reason you can't walk into the place you bought it at and they should either get it to work or replace it. Something just doesn't sound right. Maybe I am just overlooking the obvious like your dog ate the receipt or something.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Sounds like a network problem to me.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Let me get this straight, you do not have the original box and receipt for a phone you just bought. Did you just grab the phone and walk out leaving the box, receipt, and accessories at the checkout counter?

There should be no reason you can't walk into the place you bought it at and they should either get it to work or replace it. Something just doesn't sound right. Maybe I am just overlooking the obvious like your dog ate the receipt or something.
    what I meant was that I left them at home, and as you can imagine, I want to sprint (bad joke) to the Bet Buy to get this resolved. My house is a bit out of the way to go and come back to the best buy. I imagine they will want the orig box back, etc and wont just give me a new phone.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I'm sure when you take it back to Best Buy they'll help you. And try not to throw it in a lake before you get there. I obviously have no idea which Best Buy you bought it from, but the one in Kendall had some very courteous, knowledgeable and helpful reps. And EVDO down here isn't that bad. I get it the majority of the time except inside some buildings.
    thanks darreno. I went to the one on Bird Road. Wont throw it in lake, just really frustrated, that is all.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast