Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Just received an update from FreeCaddie.com and they have stated that they have submitted their app to Palm for the App Catalog.

"FreeCaddie Pro for the Palm Pre has been submitted to Palm for their App store; no word yet from Palm on a release date."

Very nice...
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Any idea what the difference will be from the other two existing golf apps in the homebrew section? (golfpinfinder and golfcaddie)
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I haven't used the other homebrew apps but I have heard that you have to manually enter in the golf courses coordinates. Freecaddie has a very large database of courses and can download them directly into your phone. I have used Freecaddie for a few years now and it is very nice. But, like I said, I have not tried the homebrew ones.

Anyone else use either ones?
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    I've used the GolfPinFinder app. It uses a database called BBGPSGolf which has several thousand courses, and also allows you to add your own. It's not clear where Freecaddie is getting it's data (they don't seem to say on their web site) ... but it looks *very* similar to the course maps you get on GolfPinFinder.

So, they all look pretty similar to me. You'd probably have to try them to find specific differences.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    GolfPinFinder will be significantly cheaper that the Pro version of FC (probably less than half the cost if they keep the same pay model). The database of courses for GPF is 8000+ and growing every day. No manual coordinates - although you can map your own course by walking it with the Pre (didn't see that mentioned by FC...) or map them online in about 15 minutes.

FreeCaddie Website
    I have entered two courses into the databse for GolfPinFinder so far. Very, very easy to do using Google maps as long as you are familiar with the course. I have played both courses after adding them myself and the thing was amazingly accurate compared to the course markers.

I noticed the retail version was available today and I immediately bought it. Great app, damn cheap price.
    Freecaddie is user based. You use Google Maps to map out a course from their website. With my Treo Pro, I could also map a course while playing to ensure everything was spot on.

I paid $20, if I'm not mistaken, for FreeCaddie and it has been worth every penny.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    Freecaddie is user based. You use Google Maps to map out a course from their website. With my Treo Pro, I could also map a course while playing to ensure everything was spot on.

I paid $20, if I'm not mistaken, for FreeCaddie and it has been worth every penny.
    Then GolfPinFinder should be a steal at $9.95 and currently available in the Palm app catalog!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I have a SkyCaddie and once I found GPF in the app catalog I instantly downloaded and went and played with it. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was. The yardages were right on.

I havnt played with the FreeCaddie, but I already don't like the whole download course file step for the app mentioned on their website. Reminds of my Skycaddie. With GPF you step on the course and it instantly knows the course and hole your on. WONDERFUL!

I will say GPF needs some additions though that some other GPS apps already have such as:

1. Need to move the hazard yardages up so you don't have to scroll down to see them
    2. Need to have more hazard markings
    3. Need to have the score statistics uploaded to a website so you can view them and save them elseware other than on the phone.

Those are just a few, but not enough to make me bring my Skycaddie back out. BYE BYE SKYCADDIE
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusby View Post
    2. Need to have more hazard markings
    For #2 that would be outside the scope of GPF. That info is pulled from BBGolf so the only way to get it into GPF would be to add it to the DB which is user submitted I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    Hmm, why is it called "Free"Caddie if you have to pay $20 for it....guess that is like jumbo shrimp...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Hmm, why is it called "Free"Caddie if you have to pay $20 for it....guess that is like jumbo shrimp...
    Because I didn't have to pay for the main program. I only had to pay to get the scorecard feature and some small other features.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Free Caddie is now available for $14.95. Much less expensive than the other versions that were $20. I have tried this app in the past and love it.
    I have used GPF many times with the demo version. I added four courses to the database that I play all the time. I would agg the fifth one but google maps pic is cloudy :-( and didn't take the time to walk the course to add it.

I haven't splurged and paid the 9.95 yet (because I can't use in Wisconsin in the winter :-) ), but I sure will come spring! GPF rules!!
    I've used Free Caddie on a Windows Mobile phone and GPF on the Pre. Overall I have to say if you plan on purchasing GPF is the better bargain. The score card, and shot tracking functions are really nice, and it's pretty spot on with gps tracking. I walked onto a brand new course with my friend's in SD, it told me which course I was on and after it retrieved the course data I was off playing.