webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Weird Battery symbol and plug with question mark
Weird Battery symbol and plug with question mark

Old 09/10/2009, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have no idea what this is, but I cannot operate the phone this morning. I even tried putting in a spare battery that I have and got the same thing. Just as I type this, I heard the phone make some noises and now it's back up, but showing 6% battery. But the spare battery certainly has some more charge than this. I've never seen any of this before, and would appreciate some help.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2009, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

It just means that the battery didn't have enough juice to power on the phone. Just charge it for a while and you will be fine.
seanb61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2009, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Same thing happened to me the other day!

I had my WIFI on, Bluetooth, I think navigation, and forgot that stuff was on when I got to my girlfriends house. My phone died and when I got home I plugged it into the charger, and it had that symbol on my screen. I was baffled at how I had to wait about 5 min to power up the phone, even when charging!!

I know the Pre is a mini computer, but as my experience goes, I thought as long as the phone is plugged into the AC outlet, no battery is needed. So when I couldn't power up the Pre for 5 min, I was worried that something happened.

But just when I started to freak out, the phone powered up on its own. I love my Pre and corn on the cob.
Old 09/10/2009, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

yes, just like a blackberry, if the battery is completely dead it will be sometime before it will fire up, but it will fire up.
NxTech3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2009, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. voltage, you described pretty much my problem. I was worried that I couldn't boot even plugged in. But yeah it did come back up on its own.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2009, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had the same issue with my pre. I plugged it into my usb and in about 10 mins it powered on by itself and continued to charge. This was the first time it's happened but also the first time I had run the battery completly dead. It was a little freaky seeing the power cord and the big question mark on the screen.

Love my pre even with all its quirks.
1shooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

This just happened to me ... but the battery was over 70% just before. When the question mark/plug went away, the phone would not power on. I immediately put it on the Touchstone and it restarted. When it finished restarting, the battery read 77%.
lordbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

In regards to the wait time before it goes from dead to being usable, I think one of the reasons is so that once it is powered up the battery has enough charge to keep the phone powered if it became unplugged and soon had to power down (however much of a charge that has to be). If it powered up right after being plugged in, and then was unplugged or something, I'd imagine would not be good for the Pre at all.
JohnLBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2009, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just got this with about 30-35% remaining after I did a reset. Plugged in the power, started up again, and webOS loaded just fine.
imekul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2009, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
In regards to the wait time before it goes from dead to being usable, I think one of the reasons is so that once it is powered up the battery has enough charge to keep the phone powered if it became unplugged and soon had to power down (however much of a charge that has to be). If it powered up right after being plugged in, and then was unplugged or something, I'd imagine would not be good for the Pre at all.
Yes, you are probably pretty close. Lithium batts are great, and have phenomenal power density. The problem is that if they are depleted too low, the battery will be permanently damaged. The charger supplies about 1000mA, or 1A. It is possible that when the voltage is low (3v is the low limit for lith) that the phone could pull enough current that the charger would not be able to support both the phone AND charging the battery. The battery then has to be charged up enough to sustain the phone on its own legs, and then the additional power from the charger will charge the battery.

The other contributor is that the developers of the phone realized that without enough additional charge prior to a reboot, that the phone could potentially draw the battery under its safe minimum voltage if it was removed from the charger immediately after it began to boot, or that the battery might cut-out at just the wrong time of the boot cycle (not sure if this would affect anything, but I assume its possible) and cause file system havoc.
Kramit-da-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2009, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I absolutely love this about the Pre. It's just about the craziest thing ever. But, I giggled for an hour, bragging to my husband about my Pre's silly side and how it was mad at me.

I'm easily amused.
Anja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2009, 08:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imekul View Post
Just got this with about 30-35% remaining after I did a reset. Plugged in the power, started up again, and webOS loaded just fine.
The battery likely sees max load when booting/rebooting. This extra draw can 'depress' the voltage; no, its doesnt need medication. This voltage depression during max load can trigger a false positive, meaning that the phone thinks the battery is more dead than it really is. This is especially true since I'm sure the charge % is taken as a reading of remaining volts from the batt (not the most accurate way.. but def simpler).
Old 09/26/2009, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
This just happened to me ... but the battery was over 70% just before. When the question mark/plug went away, the phone would not power on. I immediately put it on the Touchstone and it restarted. When it finished restarting, the battery read 77%.
did it just randomly do it? I get the battery symbol with a red area at the bottom of it when the battery is dead. The question mark usually shows up if its REALLY dead, or the battery is disconnected. You might-could have one of the batts that doesnt sit just right in the phone?
Old 09/27/2009, 12:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
did it just randomly do it? I get the battery symbol with a red area at the bottom of it when the battery is dead. The question mark usually shows up if its REALLY dead, or the battery is disconnected. You might-could have one of the batts that doesnt sit just right in the phone?
Yes it was just a random occurrence. It wasn't in use, just sitting on the couch. It didn't happen before then and hasn't happened since. 'Loose battery' seems as likely an explanation as anything else I can imagine.
lordbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 12:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

I think something like this may have happened to me just now. A random occurrence too. No idea!
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0