1.    #1  
    I simply cannot stand that wifi turns off when phone is idle. Is there a way to hack this so that it will stay on all the time?

Thanks
    Bogs
    it turns right back on again when you start using data whats the big deal?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    there is no way to change that unless someone has homebrewed a solution
    the newest version 2 something which last I looked you had to "donate" to get made it so the phone wouldnt sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by acidbeaver View Post
    it turns right back on again when you start using data whats the big deal?
    A good example is an office or home where Sprint signal is poor. If WiFi stayed active when the Pre was idle, you could turn off the cellular radio and still receive email, Twitter, and other data-related notifications while saving battery life.

This is how my Blackberry 8350i operated. WiFi was enabled even when the BB was idle.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I would be willing to pay for this functionality. Each time the Wifi turns on again, I have to re-authenticate through the browser to connect at work. Thus, all other apps don't work until I re-authenticate.
    Quote Originally Posted by boglwe View Post
    ... Is there a way to hack this so that it will stay on all the time?
    If you know how to ssh into your Pre, I think you could kill the power daemon (not sure of the exact name) to accomplish what you want, but you need to make sure that wifi is active before you do that. The easiest way to make sure wifi is active before killing the power daemon is to have pandora running in the background. There isn't an app to do this. I suppose you could write one if this is an itch that you need to scratch.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Best hack ever. is put the phone on the charger.. nice and homebrew and its free.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    If you connect to the computer just use Just Charge, also if you cant get a connection to the phone just open up the web app and go to a webpage to open a connection and youll be able to connect.
    The WiFi connection stays active if you have a Touchstone charger and the phone is placed upon it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    The WiFi connection stays active if you have a Touchstone charger and the phone is placed upon it.
    I second this. I may be in my head, but my Pre feels hotter if i leave the wifi on while charging on the TS.
    I had posted this in the App request the other day, but yanno what I found

ONe of the FREE Homebrew Clock APPs do just that by default~!

Check out DigiClock

As long as the app is open, even if not full screen, the screen shut off does NOT happen, and wifi stays ON!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    It is so silly these things are not options on the phone when the functionality is there.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    As long as the app is open, even if not full screen, the screen shut off does NOT happen, and wifi stays ON!
    Thanks! Good workaround for now!
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    The digiclock workaround is nice, but I would like to have the screen shutoff happen and keep wifi on at the same time. Mostly for battery life - as I work 12hr shifts and the phone is dead (or almost) by the end of the shift as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewpydog View Post
    The digiclock workaround is nice, but I would like to have the screen shutoff happen and keep wifi on at the same time. Mostly for battery life - as I work 12hr shifts and the phone is dead (or almost) by the end of the shift as it is.
    If you work by a computer, just plug it in and charge it. That keeps my wifi on.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    That's just the problem - if I worked by a computer I wouldn't need the Pre! I need to be mobile at work, but also have access to wifi in seconds. Having to reauthenticate each time is a big headache.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    A good example is an office or home where Sprint signal is poor. If WiFi stayed active when the Pre was idle, you could turn off the cellular radio and still receive email, Twitter, and other data-related notifications while saving battery life.

This is how my Blackberry 8350i operated. WiFi was enabled even when the BB was idle.
    1.2 sort of allows this, the only catch is you'll have to be plugged into a power source to keep WiFi active. I submitted feedback to Palm on this feature a couple of days ago, I hope they take it seriously, I gave them some epic ideas to make this feature that much better.
    why do that when its just gonna kill ur battery?