Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 245
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    As I mentioned, Palm has allowed other independent developers to break the rules when it comes to undocumented APIs.
    You downplay the other 'independent developers' that Palm has allowed access to these private and undocumented APIs for - they are companies like Amazon.com and Pandora that have been allowed to release an app in the "com.palm." application id name space that allows access to undocumented APIs.

    It wouldn't be surprising that these applications were even partially written or had serious assistance in development from Palm employees.

    These are not random one person developer shops working on their own that got accepted and you didnt, these are major companies that are routinely courted and given special assistance to integrate. Palm can feel fairly secure that these not-yet-ready-for-public APIs are good enough for these special uses -- and the applications important enough to the platform success -- to allow it.

    I'm sure APIs similar to these will be public at some point, they're just not yet ready to open the floodgates to everyone.
  2. #82  
    I'm not a developer so I don't know the time requirements, but is it possible to make this app AND use only approved APIs?
  3. Stake's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #83  
    I tweeted this to Palm. We'll see what they have to say...if anything.
  4. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    I tweeted this to Palm. We'll see what they have to say...if anything.
    Indeed, but you failed to read many of the reasonable posts in this thread.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I'm not a developer so I don't know the time requirements, but is it possible to make this app AND use only approved APIs?
    No, its not possible.

    The only way to discover what MP3s are on the device to play is to use the private, undocumented API.
  6. tlaz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Point taken on the title metdenn. I will ask the mods to change it to something more benign.
    I'm impressed that you're taking the high road, Blubble. Count me in for a donation in homebrew.

    I'm glad you could vent here - we are your sounding board. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to create a clearly superior product only to see red tape/bs prevent you from getting some return on your investment of time and effort.

    But i also encourage you to give this a bit of time. Palm is basically drinking water through a fire hose with WebOS right now. They have so much to deal with just getting 1.2 out, let alone a decent SDK. I think they are just playing it safe with your app for the moment until they have more resources to address issues like yours. We'll put as much pressure as we can on them for you.

    And get going on Android to cover your back. You're obviously talented and deserve to cash in on your work.
  7. #87  
    Damn this sucks, really looked forward to this on App catalog.

    Blubble has been amazing updating the forum on his development of this monster app.
  8. #88  
    I think the Music app is fine, just buggy and could use some optimizations. That's all really.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I agree with those that point out that the use of an undocumented API should be a concern for Palm. However, the way for them to address it should be to seek more information about how the app uses it and evaluate it based on that. Instead, their response is essentially "no thanks".

    As I mentioned, Palm has allowed other independent developers to break the rules when it comes to undocumented APIs. Why not evaluate the app and decide whether or not to accept it or not? I could respect that, but they haven't seen any more of the app than any of you.

    As far as an update potentially breaking the app, that sort of thing happens with countless apps in all operating systems. If Palm thinks it wise to not seed developer version of their updates before releasing them, then that's their problem. For example, Apple always releases a developer preview that gives their developers the opportunity to test and update their apps if necessary to maintain compatibility.

    In any case, I will just release the app as Homebrew when it is finished. It is still in beta now and will take some time to complete. I'd rather not post it as a beta.
    Palm barely has the resources to keep all the deeper APIs supported. Sprint basically forced them to support the nav app which uses a browser plugin to draw. They really didn't want to get into it.

    So I can why they're freaking out. That said, it should have been a discussion, not an outright rejection.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Let me be very clear. I will not be abandoning NaNplayer. I have no problem releasing it through Homebrew. Still, only a relatively small percentage of Pre users install Homebrew apps. Most probably don't even know they exist.
    Sorry, I have to side with the minority, and say I understand Palm's position. I'm glad it's a "for now", and seriously hope you reconsider. I've seldom used a music player on my Treo in the past, but planned on using yours (and still do), simply to support the effort. Maybe the Homebrew will keep you interested long enough for Palm to either release a public API you can use, or relent and approve the app. I do wish the best of luck to you.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    sorry, i have to side with the minority, and say i understand palm's position. I'm glad it's a "for now", and seriously hope you reconsider. I've seldom used a music player on my treo in the past, but planned on using yours (and still do), simply to support the effort. Maybe the homebrew will keep you interested long enough for palm to either release a public api you can use, or relent and approve the app. I do wish the best of luck to you.
    me too!! No matter how many times it takes me to donate lol
  12. #92  
    my concern is the original music player is bad.
    after two months seems palm has no intention of fixing it or it's not a high priority.

    for me my hope was that the Pre be a partial replacement for my ipod. it's just not there yet.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 09/10/2009 at 03:16 AM.
  13. #93  
    IF the reason is the use of undocumented APIs, maybe you had to ask for permission to use it before using it.

    If it's undocumented is for a reason...

    Ask to them for a solution, instead of doing nothing.
  14. #94  
    I would like to see your player app. I was looking for it today when I went and added the Remix app player because I couldn't find yours.

    Could you redesign without the index and reapply to Palm?
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    IF the reason is the use of undocumented APIs, maybe you had to ask for permission to use it before using it.

    If it's undocumented is for a reason...

    Ask to them for a solution, instead of doing nothing.
    +1

    I would ask them wha it would take to get your product into their app catalog. Explain your case, nicely. And ask for a solution that is fair to get it resolved.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by metdenn View Post
    Dude, I think your app looks great, and I would love to have it. Additionally, I love my Pre and want quality devs like you, so it's far from my intention to have you quit for android. I just want to make sure that you go about this the right way, so your app IS accepted, you make MORE good apps, and others follow your lead.
    This. I know my post came off a little harsh, but I feel the same way too man. You just really got to take a step back and realize what is REALLY going on here.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Why is Palm turning into the very thing their customer's hate? The whole reason I loved Palm was because they were doing things the right way. Now it is getting clearer by the day that they aren't who they bost to be. From what Bubble has said Palm doesn't have a problem with the fact that it a Music Player, but the fact that it is using an undocumented API which 10 other apps all do! Why Palm, why?
    I will be sending an email to palm telling them about this.
    They aren't, and they ARE doing it the right way. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but emailing them about this is only going to create another PalmOS. Bubblez seems like he has a good head about this now, leave it alone.
  18. #98  
    Can't say i understand the whole process and especially using an undocumented api.

    That said, there has to be some way to have some assurance an app will be accepted before putting 100's of hours in on it. Like submitting a business plan so to speak. Again, its not my field so no clue.

    So is the app too risky to install or is it more along the lines of palm not wanting an app that duplicates one of its core apps? Apple is upfront about it. I hope Palm will be too.

    But i hope people remember when you have a guard at the door system, some just won't get in for whatever reason or however open you claim to be. The old days of palm OS and WM and everything goes are over. App stores give convenience to end users but they gave control back to the phone makers and carriers.
  19. chichi's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #99  
    Not saying this app does not look great adn i do mean great, but I find it very interesting that everyone is soooo up in arms about an app that they have never used, and have only seen a demo on youtube. I mean for all one knows the app could be buggy, choppy, sluggish or outright not up to par. I dont think any of the above is true most like you all and I am highly anticipating its arrival homebrew or app catalog. I suggest be patient, because maybe it truly is a security issue or something palm is seeing in foresight to protect themselves as a company. Its just business and nothing personal I dont think the developer should call it quits but instead do some revamping and seek a proffesional means to resolve the issue. I mean as it is clear to me this developer has made a great app and is going striaght for the pay out. Or else he would have done the route most homebrew developers have done which is create the app (which we can all see is ready for testing) allow users to test give feedback and comments all the while creating a buzz and working out the bugs and kinks should there be any. Please dont get me wrong and think i am not appreciative of your efforts, but I am saying we shouldnt all get so aggressive over a tool you have never even gotten a chance to use.
  20. #100  
    If the app is so good, and if it does not pass the app catalog process, why not market and sell it directly to Palm as an OEM for palm to sell as thier own? You will likely be dealing with a different group within Palm who will be looking at things from a business point of view.

    Just an idea...
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions