Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I want to ask everyone who does contact Palm to please be respectful and mature in your request for reconsideration. I emailed Palm a moment ago myself.
    Only thing I can think of is that palm is working on a music player update, or plans one.
    Otherwise, they would want a nicer application for music.
    Well that's a shame. I will gladly make a donation for your effort if and when it makes it to homebrew. You shouldn't give up so easily though.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Their problem is that I used an undocumented API to read the music files.
    Well, I'm not exactly surprised to hear that. Undocumented APIs have undocumented behaviors. This is a beta SDK, after all.

But I don't see Palm blocking that API forever, otherwise that would remove a whole swath of applications (music players, movie players, document editors, anything that wants a list of files by type). I have a feeling the API works well, but is probably lacking in some security (restricting indexing location to the media partition, for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Wow, that really blows, man. I've been quietly following your development since your first post about the app. I know how hard you've been working to get this ready for the app catalog, and it just sucks that corps like palm stiffen creativity when it stands to highlight they're own shortcomings (I.e., crappy music app w/less than minimal features). It may be that your app would make them look so poorly that they were too embarrassed to let it in. Hopefully it's only temporary. Maybe they have a deal under wraps w/another developer, like pocket tunes, to dev a improved music app, and that's why they really said no. Who knows?

PLEASE,PLEASE, don't let this disccourage you from completing the app to your envisioned specifications. I understand that you prob don't want to contin developing for webOS, & I don't blame you, you got burned. I know this had the potential to be a huge money maker for you and no doubt've been wildly popular. But it still can! Post up a donation link, after hearing this tragic tale, I'd be more than happy to prepurchase my copy for, IDK, $10, $15?. As I recall, you were only gonna chatge $5 or so. Well, you might just have to hike it up- 1. To put food on your table, and 2. To show palm how much cash they're sacrificing.

Also, they will be hearing from me,.......and all my aliases, to let them know just how ridiculous this decision was, and just how ridiculous their slow, boggy,featureless media player is, in a device as advanced as this.

I only hope others are as enfuriated as I am, & that they support you and let palm know our true feelings about how it feels to have to "settle" for less, because they didn't think of it first.
    SHAME ON YOU PALM, SHAME ON YOU!

+1 PALM (& another boring, unintuitive stock app)

-1 Creative, forward thinking, would've been WebOS Developer
    Last edited by Superstardjal; 09/09/2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Can't spellcheck
    Wow. That's dissapointing. Just e mailed palm. There must be a good reason why though. I hope us speaking up helps. I still look forward to a much better music experience on my pre. Thanks blubble for the hard work.
    Wow, they not allowing Music players into the store. This is definately the Apple-ization of Palm. The old Palm did let users choose whatever music players they wanted...the one I was wanting to see was pTunes.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Palm's just jealous that you outdid them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    WHAT?! Take a look AGAIN.
    I mean, they have quite a few design similarities, they probably just don't want something that looks like the built in one, but with more features.
    ...it's a mat, with different conclusions. That you can jump to.
    This is quite concerning...
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Like an old thread said, this app embarrasses palm
    i think this is part of it too. all these players highlight all the things Palm failed to have the forsight to do correct the first time.

I think the original player looks great, but lacks a ton of features, has some organizational problems. I've said it before, What made the iphone a hit wasn't just that it's a phone but that it was an ipod. A music player. And if you really want to compete you have to do everything the an ipod does with music just as good as they do or better. If your method isn't better it should be the same. And palm doesn't do that. They don't provide the whole desktop software/ phone/ music store triple threat. And they could. I still think Palm doesn't get how important it is to be as good if not a lot better then apple at handling media, and especially music.

The whole can't buy music from amazon over evdo, no palm software comparable to itunes thing i think is a tactical mistake. i'm not saying don't **** with itunes and crack their blockade. i think it's funny. But if you want to take Brady's starting QB spot you better throw less interceptions and more touchdowns or you can't complain when you're second string.
    Pretty stupid on Palm's part.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    That is very disappointing. Your music player looked to have amazing potential. If nothing else it would be so nice to have something that didn't lag so much, not to mention the very necessary feature of being able to make on-the-fly playlists. I look forward to seeing if it holds true to the hype when you release it in the Homebrew catalog and if it is as good as it looks to be I will for sure leave a donation!

I would recommend starting a petition. I am sure you would get a ton of people on board, and get Precentral.net to help you promote it. They already did a great blog entry on your music player. Palm cannot afford to lose developers or have bad press, they will be much more willing to compromise than Apple.

I had such high hopes for palm and their app catalog. So many possibilities if they restricted less. We could get apps that actually improve the main features and purpose of the phone rather than just stupid pointless apps (99% of Apple's apps).
    Donation button and a release SOON!
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I wouldn't know where to start taking sides on this but..

From the brief video I saw I say it looks good and I'd surely donate the mentioned amount.
    I can maybe imagine the disappointment of not being in the official app coatalog but I don't check that nearly as much as I check Preware or file coaster. There's still quite a user base waiting for good apps that aren't in the official catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Wow, they not allowing Music players into the store. This is definately the Apple-ization of Palm. The old Palm did let users choose whatever music players they wanted...the one I was wanting to see was pTunes.
    The Apple-ization of Palm isn't a big shock since it is run by ex-Apple people now.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Release via homebrew and watch the groundswell. I have to question why.we (the collective) is outrahed about an app not available to us. Let's try it and then measure it's warrant. I would be happy to pay or donate for such a music app as what you advertise.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    E-mailing palm now, the app looks great and there should be no reason that your app can't be in the app store because it is a vast improvement on the Palm one.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Well, I'm not exactly surprised to hear that. Undocumented APIs have undocumented behaviors. This is a beta SDK, after all.

But I don't see Palm blocking that API forever, otherwise that would remove a whole swath of applications (music players, movie players, document editors, anything that wants a list of files by type). I have a feeling the API works well, but is probably lacking in some security (restricting indexing location to the media partition, for example).
    +1

I mean, Palm BUILT their OS to encourage development, many computer mags say WebOS is friendlier than Android etc. They also seem to be allowing a lot of homebrewing, and even taking homebrew into the ap cat. Doesn't seem like the "big evil corp."

The "at this time" is telling. If this is undoc. API and it does something bad OR is used maliciously, then PALM is screwed. Not the developer. So Palm is staying it's hand a bit, and now the dev. is throwing a bit of a hissy fit. I know it's a let down, but your time is probably better used asking them what you need to do to get it admitted, or what they could do to help, or making it such a popular and downloaded homebrew they are compelled to add it to the ap cat.

On the other hand, if you are mad because you wanted to charge and now that option is gone, come on man...
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast