Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I recently switched from using Eclipse to Komodo with the Mojo plugin. I've got an i7 beast of PC and I still don't much like the Eclipse solution for Mojo. It is very buggy and is still missing a lot of features.

The jslint integration for the Komodo solution is a lot more strict when it comes to catching errors. In addition to catching syntax errors, it can point out programming mistakes. I am going to try it for a week or so and decide which IDE to stick with, but I am leaning towards the Komodo solution. If that is the case, I will definitely be donating to the creator for his very useful work.
    in which way is komodo better, what exactly do you gain over eclipse, I'm looking for something better than eclipse, but I'm not looking for something similar with its own bugs.

Abe
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Media will trumpet that the app got rejected. The public, including myself, doesn't want to hear about undocumented private api's or other nonsense.
    Nonsense??

Guess its not too private if the developer used them?
    So, if someone is able to figure out some of your personal, private information, does that mean it should no longer be consider private?

Just doing a consistency check here.

It's just another case of Palm, get it done. Quit making excuses. If the app works, and does your core app better, then find a way to get it in there.

Heck, this method seems right up Palm's alley since they do it to Itunes.
    And, like all of the other issues that the Monday Morning QB's understate, it's not that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Tantrum? Child?

We're talking about a company that misidentifies its own device to iTunes in order to hack sync functionality...then penalizes home developers for essentially doing the same.
    "essentially the same"... I don't think so...
  4.    #204  
    I find it to be less buggy. For example, I've noticed a lot of redraw problems with HTML and CSS code in Eclipse. I have two different versions on two different PCs and have noticed those problems on both.

Also, the code completion and error highlighting is much more complete in the Komodo solution. The jslint implementation is really nice.

The only real negative I've seen is that it can be a bit of a pain to import existing apps. You have to create a new app and then replace all the source with your existing code. It's not a huge problem, but it's worth noting. There are a few other bothersome things, but they are relatively minor. It is certainly a work in progress, but it feels more complete than Palm's Eclipse plugin.

As I mentioned, I have just been using it for a few days, so I can't give a definitive opinion. I am leaning towards Komodo though.
    on the webOSdev site many are moving to komodo I am wondering if palm will move over to komodo or stay with eclipse.
    But they didn't choose to wait because they thought it imperative to have this feature available, and even promoted it to their users without explaining the dishonest means through which they offered it.
    I submit you know know what Palm "thought", and very likely are misrepresenting their motive behind it.

But, I'm sure it suits your needs, so rant on...
    It cracks me up how people are complaining about the limited API's or the SDK or the app approval process. We all knew that this was going to move slowly. Before the SDK was public the popular sentiment was "release it as it is and just say its beta, people will understand." Then they release it and people complain that it's not powerful.

Then they start pre-approving some apps before they ramp it up in the fall and people complain that not enough apps are coming out, of a store, that, mind you is still in BETA.

I don't understand how difficult of a concept this is. Palm is not ready to be a #1, a #2, or a #3 platform YET. They have had serious revenue problems which have impacted their personnel hiring and staffing which means some things are just going to take longer.

You have your Pre, you have some apps, and you knowingly adopted a v1 software with a beta app store, that comes with some consequences, which we are experiencing.

I'm no fanboy (first Palm device in over 4 years) but I am a realist and I know what I bought, when I bought it. If in 2010 we're singing the same song then it's a problem.
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nonsense??

So, if someone is able to figure out some of your personal, private information, does that mean it should no longer be consider private?

And, like all of the other issues that the Monday Morning QB's understate, it's not that simple.
    You're barking up the wrong tree. I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of "private API". None of this has the slightest bit to do with security. There is little, if any, danger of a developer publishing a malicious app through the official catalog. Palm already allows some devs access to the private APIs. I am sure they scrutinize these apps particularly well as a result and would reject anything that was reading users' private data and transmitting it.

On the other hand, with Homebrew apps, you never know what you're getting. The community can police apps to a degree, but there is no guarantee you're not getting something malicious.
    Nonsense??

Glad you got your licks in but that post was much earlier in the day. I've been enlightened since then. After reading palm's response along with others, i'm fine with it.
    Again, for the cheap seats: From my FIRST post in this thread, I agreed that Palm indeed has the right to pick and choose. They can do so for reasons even flimsier than the "undocumented API" one. It's their App Catalog. Great.
    Again, if I am wrong about, please detail for me how I am, and I will gladly stand corrected.
    It's been pointed out to you, and you choose to ignore the differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by nohatter View Post
    In other words, they just stole your work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    As long as every app in the app catalog is presently using fully documented API's then its all good then.
    Huh-uh. Doesn't work that way.

The Apps Catalog is still beta. There are reasons. You can bet that one of those reasons is that some of the apps are using undocumented API's (which is why the break when Palm does updates). You can also bet that they are using the API's with Palm's permission.

Further, even when Palm does get the Apps store out of beta, they are under no obligation to not extend extra consideration to developers they really want to court.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    So Kasracer, do you now accept that it would not be possible for Kinoma to re-write their application for WebOS using the current SDK ? (and that using undocumented APIs is not the wisest thing for a commercial software developer to do).

BTW Classic is a special case. Parts of it actually release with the OS. Its not an app you could write using the standard SDK. If Palm wants something badly enough they will bend the rules a bit I guess.
    Sheesh, why keep trying to hijack threads. If you're so sure, just take him up on his bet already!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    It turns out that there are two tiers of Mojo users. I first started noticing it when I wanted to work with Synergy. Only Palm can really work it, at least for now. Developers are locked out.

I'm willing to give Palm the benefit of the doubt for a little while, but it certainly false to present Mojo as all one needs to develop useful apps on webOS.
    I think this is one of the most succinct and accurate statements about this issue that I've seen on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You did argue that they could implement their app using undocumented APIs. However, even if that were true (I don't think it is), it appears they would not be able to sell the app. Since they are a for-profit software developer, using undocumented APIs clearly isn't an option for them.
    Why could they not sell their application? Has Kinoma ever been an a mfg sponsored app store?

They can sell it from their website just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    P.S. anyone with any problem with what Iv'e said can leave a comment I'm waiting to here stupid comments.
    Here's two of them:
    1. Way too much name-calling. You can disagree without all the "stupids" and "idiots"
    2. You spealled "hear" wrong in "waiting to here stupid comments".
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    You obtain an app, and it may or may not work with the next OS update. If your XP apps don't work with Vista, you either don't upgrade or you don't use the apps. Giving the OS maker so much control over what you're allowed to do leads to far more problems than it purports to solve.
    Sorry, that analogy is simply incorrect. Vista wasn't an "upgrade", it was a new OS (even though parts of it were built on the old OS). The more correct analogy would if a developer had to run back to the programmers every Wednesday when MS released updates to XP. As long as they are "following the rules", they shouldn't have to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    The current sideload method for Palm is good, but it's not good enough. I want to be able to browse to a website and install an application from my phone. Outside of Palm's control.
    Sort of like Filecoaster?
    Here's two of them:
    1. Way too much name-calling. You can disagree without all the "stupids" and "idiots"
    2. You spealled "hear" wrong in "waiting to here stupid comments".
    thank you.
    your doing great with 7 posts in a row keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    THANK YOU! This is my biggest gripe with webOS. I really wish we had some compiled language to work with. JavaScript is painful (I like my languages typed, please).

#3 is the worst. There isn't a good way to step through code, reliably. Half the time it's guesswork since the API documentation is lacking.
    and I like my languages untyped thank-you-very-much. Javascript is VERY powerful, rich and deep. Java and C++ in particular feel like writing code with handcuffs on.

I also would like a compiler, and binary access, but I know full well that a binary SDK is coming, and coupling that with the wonderfulness that is javascript gives us the best of both worlds.

As to readability, if you follow the guidelines in Crockfords style guide for Javascript, use JSBeautifier and JSLint religiously, and don't try to be all fancy and weird, javascript is utterly readable.

Different strokes for different folks.

-_ Rick
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast