Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    If all we need to do to start the launcher is swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then why do we need a dedicated quick start launcher button? I could use the space for another icon.
  2. #2  
    I agree
  3. #3  
    New tweak for WebOS Quick Install?
  4. #4  
    Same with the button - it would be nice if it could be re-assigned to do something else.
  5. #5  
    Some people worked on this for a brief moment if i recall, however because of the way the launcher is set up, it seemed very difficult to be able to replace it. As it is not a normal icon, but tied to the systemui if I remember correctly. I could be wrong here, but I know that it is a peeve for some, but noone has posted a method for changing or removing it...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  6. #6  
    The button right now is a secondary power on when the phone is open and it can be hacked and soon updated to light up when you have a message. As far as the quick bar. It's just that a quick bar. saves one step. But there may be an option down the road so that those that do not want it can get rid of it.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The button right now is a secondary power on when the phone is open and it can be hacked and soon updated to light up when you have a message. As far as the quick bar. It's just that a quick bar. saves one step. But there may be an option down the road so that those that do not want it can get rid of it.
    The button thing is a good point. It was annoying trying to hit power when the phone went to sleep.

    However, the OP is referring to just the launcher button, not the whole bar. It's pretty much unnecessary and takes up valuable launch bar space.
  8. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    #8  
    Personally, I like the button. I use it a lot in landscape mode, my thumb is right there and it saves me a swipe while I go in portrait to pick another card. Still, the Palm minds realized their "mistake" and gave more usability for the button in 1.2 release. The button will pulse, when you have a message (or email?). I like that a lot.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  9. zebrazed's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #9  
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this thread might have gone askew. The original question was about finding a way to replace the the launcher button on the five spot bar at the bottom of the screen with an app shortcut of choice. That needs to happen somehow!

    However, It would be silly to try to mess with the physical button on the pre. It needs to be there not only for the aesthetics but for its functionality. There should be more uses for it though.

    For instance, when someone calls you you have to unlock the phone, then press the answer button. It would be nice if i could just press the middle button to get the call. You would of course run the risk of accidental pocket interference. I don't wear tight pants and am aware of my phone ringing 90% of the time so that wouldn't be a problem.
    Any thoughts?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrazed View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this thread might have gone askew. The original question was about finding a way to replace the the launcher button on the five spot bar at the bottom of the screen with an app shortcut of choice. That needs to happen somehow!

    However, It would be silly to try to mess with the physical button on the pre. It needs to be there not only for the aesthetics but for its functionality. There should be more uses for it though.

    For instance, when someone calls you you have to unlock the phone, then press the answer button. It would be nice if i could just press the middle button to get the call. You would of course run the risk of accidental pocket interference. I don't wear tight pants and am aware of my phone ringing 90% of the time so that wouldn't be a problem.
    Any thoughts?
    hmmm I usually just swipe the lock icon thingie and it answers.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micho View Post
    If all we need to do to start the launcher is swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then why do we need a dedicated quick start launcher button? I could use the space for another icon.
    +1
  12. jt99's Avatar
    Posts
    166 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Personally, I like the button. I use it a lot in landscape mode, my thumb is right there and it saves me a swipe while I go in portrait to pick another card. Still, the Palm minds realized their "mistake" and gave more usability for the button in 1.2 release. The button will pulse, when you have a message (or email?). I like that a lot.
    What? it does? not that I've noticed.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrazed View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this thread might have gone askew. The original question was about finding a way to replace the the launcher button on the five spot bar at the bottom of the screen with an app shortcut of choice. That needs to happen somehow!

    However, It would be silly to try to mess with the physical button on the pre. It needs to be there not only for the aesthetics but for its functionality. There should be more uses for it though.

    For instance, when someone calls you you have to unlock the phone, then press the answer button. It would be nice if i could just press the middle button to get the call. You would of course run the risk of accidental pocket interference. I don't wear tight pants and am aware of my phone ringing 90% of the time so that wouldn't be a problem.
    Any thoughts?
    I would rather not have the button do anything that would wake up the device. Long-time Palm PDA users may remember the Zire 71 that had the center button protruding out from the device and no way to deactivate it. Palm also provided a tight-fitting slip case with it. I ran my battery down many times before a third-party app introduced a way to deactivate the button when the device was asleep.

Posting Permissions