1.    #1  
    I am new, love the phone so far. how do I make people hear me better. is it the microphone? does it have a setting?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    No mic settings i'm aware of...

I'm not trying to treat you like an ***** but you are speaking directly into the mic on the phone aren't you?

If not make sure you direct your speach there... other then that speak up or check your signal strength when they say that.
  3.    #3  
    they say it sounds like I am far away. thanx.
    Do you have a screen protector on it?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Your pressing the mic against your cheek.
    Look where the mic is and be aware of it when talking.
    I hold the phone out a bit for that exact reason.
    Do you hold the phone on the left side of your face? I have noticed that when do, the people Im talking to say the same thing. It has to do with the mic not being the center of the phone. So when you are holding it on the left side of your face it is further away from your mouth and there is a higher chance that it is being blocked by something.
    Yea, I have a few complaints about this phone (no phone is 100% perfect) but the microphone certainly isn't one of them. In fact, of all the smartphones I have ever had (all palmOS phones, Treo Pro, HTC Touch Pro, 800W, BB Curve, BB World and a few I am sure I am missing) this is BY FAR the best call quality of the bunch, microphone being the top honors here. If you are holding your phone on your left cheek, or holding it kinda awkward on your right cheek, you are probably holding the mic against your skin (as was said above). Either that, or you are EXTREMELY soft spoken. I have been over 15 feet from my phone and people still hear me perfect. In fact, I was using it on speakerphone in my Jeep the other day (Soft top Jeep wrangler with mud tires and loud exhaust, loudest vehicle I have ever been in) and the person heard me crystal clear.

Looking at the phone as if you were typing a text message, at the bottom left corner of the face (just left and below the home button) is a hole. That hole is your microphone hole. If you try to hold the phone with your left shoulder and cheek, it does make the mic sound HORRIBLE. I have a habbit with all cell phones to "pivot" the bottom end out away from my mouth a little bit and push the earpiece in towards my ear. Just something I am used to from nextels I guess. Works EXCELLENT with the Pre. Just try not to put that hole against your skin.
  8.    #8  
    I have done all that and the people on the other end still say it sounds like I am far away. When I put it on speaker it is fine. Thanx
  9.    #9  
    no.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem, getting to the point where I have to talk loudly to have a fluid conversation. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am sure it is not my cheek pressing against the mic opening, and I've tried left and right sides, with right helping slightly but not enough.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post
    I'm having the same problem, getting to the point where I have to talk loudly to have a fluid conversation. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am sure it is not my cheek pressing against the mic opening, and I've tried left and right sides, with right helping slightly but not enough.
    I have the same issue. I have to literally holler into the phone for other people to hear me. I can only use the pre as a phone when I have my bluetooth headset. I haven't come across any solution, and the people at the Sprint store just said: "huh, that's strange."

Did you ever solve it?