1.    #1  
    This happend on my last pre so I was hesitant to take off the back but now I have two batteries so i figured it would be worth it. When i put the back cover back on the pre and use the keyboard it makes squeaky noises that are very annoying. Should I just accept this or this there a right way to put the cover on. If not i'm just gonna switch the TS cover.
    Mine (TS cover) is progressively getting creakier. Maybe some thin foam padding would help. Doesn't really bother me all that much.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I dropped my pre then the back cover started creaking. The original cover didn't creak, only the touchstone that was on at the time. So I bought another touchstone cover and it doesn't creak anymore. But my keyboard buttons are starting to make noise. Don't know if it's because of the fall or from use. I might be using that $7 a month warranty soon.
    Ok I didn't buy the whole creaking thing until I had to swap to the bigger Seidio cover and started to pay attention after seeing the complaints. Yes it does creak but I really had to pay attention to it. I guess I'm just a lot less affected by these little noises. Anyway I thought of a solution and put it into action.

I took the cover off and lightly applied some candle wax to the outside edges all the way round (LOL, yes it does sound nuts doesn't it?). Put it back on and now no more creaks, just the sound of the keys clicking. Not sure how long it will last but it was a quick fix and it seemed to work so I decided to share.

Another thing I thought of was lightly sanding the edges with very fine sand paper or maybe a brillo pad. As I was too lazy to go searching around the house for that stuff, I decided on the candle wax only. I believe combining both methods will lead to a more permanent fix though.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Ok I didn't buy the whole creaking thing until I had to swap to the bigger Seidio cover and started to pay attention after seeing the complaints. Yes it does creak but I really had to pay attention to it. I guess I'm just a lot less affected by these little noises. Anyway I thought of a solution and put it into action.

I took the cover off and lightly applied some candle wax to the outside edges all the way round (LOL, yes it does sound nuts doesn't it?). Put it back on and now no more creaks, just the sound of the keys clicking. Not sure how long it will last but it was a quick fix and it seemed to work so I decided to share.

Another thing I thought of was lightly sanding the edges with very fine sand paper or maybe a brillo pad. As I was too lazy to go searching around the house for that stuff, I decided on the candle wax only. I believe combining both methods will lead to a more permanent fix though.
    The wax solution works great. Thanks
    I've been thinking about this and noticed that the two biggest heat producing components in the phone (the processor and the battery) are right next to the battery cover. Perhapse large amounts of heat during a prolonged period of time, like watching youtube videos or charging or both, cause the battery cover to warp.
    mine has begun to creak on the right side as well... will a replacement back fix the problem?
    The right side of my back plate, near the keys at the edge of the keyboard creaked. I have had my pre a total of 1 week. I noticed the creak right after a particular surge of heat in the back cover, just texting and listening to pandora, don't really consider that heavy usage, though I could be mistaken. Anyhow, I took the phone back to sprint the next day, and was told it was normal....I guess some people like creaky phones? Not me. The tech removed the back cover, put it back on, and voila, the creak went away. I was excited. I got home, slid it open, proceeded to show my wife hey look, no creak, and poof it was back....wow. The creak had gotten progressively worse until I found this thread. I tried the candle wax trick, and it works for now, in fact, the creak had spread to the whole right side of the back cover, now, no more squeak, such a simple fix, and an ample supply of candles means this is convenient...maybe I should carry a candle around with me? Thanks for the posts, and thanks for the forum.
    i just cut my business card in half and laid it atop the battery then replaced the cover.

no more creaks
    Quote Originally Posted by chienandalusia View Post
    i just cut my business card in half and laid it atop the battery then replaced the cover.

no more creaks
    Thanks! It feels like a whole new phone! I'm a little worried, though... Is this dangerous at all?
    The creaking comes from the fact that there is a slight gap between the back cover and the "guts" of the phone, so when you squeeze, the back cover can flex enough so the edges rub and creak.

Based on a tip from another thread, I applied a couple layers of black electrical tape on each side of the inside of the battery cover down on the keyboard half -- no creaks.

Regards,
    Tom
    I read somewhere that if you apply the back cover by clicking the bottom fastener tab before the sides, it will creak less. This worked for me.

I don't remember where I read this but it made a big difference! Doesn't make sense but worked.
    I fixed my keyboard creaking noise by putting a thin piece of tape along the bottom of my back cover, behind the 2 hooks (circled in green).
    Thanks to chienandalusia for the heads up on using a business card to stop the creaking in the center of the back of the pre. I taped it down to the back cover (circled in red).

intechproducts.com/images/PreCreakingFix.jpg

Picture taken with Palm Pre

-Chris
    Last edited by bloodhungrymofo; 03/12/2010 at 03:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I did the business card trick on my Centro and it was safe for 2 years.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I use double sided sticky tape (two layers).
    thats the price you pay for replaceable batteries.

have done this to my touch dual, G1 and countless other phones in the past